Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Drug Dealing.

Options
  • 03-05-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭

I work in an office in the North Inner City and for the past month or so there has been obvious open drug dealing taking place opposite our offices.My desk is right at the window so I have a birds eye view of it.In the beginning it started off happening for about an hour or so everyday just after lunchtime,but it's now got to the point that it the two guys dealing are there from 11am and they're still there when I'm leaving work at 5:30ish in the evening.

I've pretty much figured out how the operation works,one guy takes the money,and a younger guy comes up from the lane where the drugs are obviously stashed and passes the drugs to the customer.A taxi comes every afternoon and another guy gets out and swaps places with the guy down the lane.

We've rang the Garda station and the Garda confidential line thing lots of times now,but if we're lucky a squad car drives buy,and when that happens the guy on the street just walks off and returns in 20 mins or so.

I lock my bike up in yard/car park behind our offices and last week when I was going home I disturbed two addicts who were in the middle of shooting up.I don't lock my bike in there anymore obviously.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience in getting a problem like this dealt with?it's so frustrating watching this going on and getting worse as it could be so easily stopped by the Gardai with just a modicum of effort on their part.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Same, I work down the road from some kind of drop in centre. Open selling, thievery and a couple of assaults by the 'clientelle'. Nothing ever happens. Local business owner has had to take a civil case against one of them because the guards declined to go forward with assault charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I've pretty much figured out how the operation works,one guy takes the money,and a younger guy comes up from the lane where the drugs are obviously stashed and passes the drugs to the customer.A taxi comes every afternoon and another guy gets out and swaps places with the guy down the lane.

Is this the view from your office?

dbegs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Is this the view from your office?

That is exactly how I imagined it. Drug dealers have been taking note from The Wire.

If the gardaí wont do anything, get in touch with a TD. Annoy as many of them as you can for as long as it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

That is exactly how I imagined it. Drug dealers have been taking note from The Wire.

I got the same image. The Dublin lads wouldnt stand a minute with them boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

The Guards won't do anything unless they are forced to do so.

They won't pay any serious attention to the government (they might make a token effort but won't make any serious long-term effort)

If I were you I'd get in touch with the media - you could get in touch with TV3 (more in their arena than RTE) tell them that all they need to do is set up a camera in your office watching the action and they will have a "Dublin's Inner City Drug Trading Special" for very cheap and very easy.

Alternatively you could set up a video, record them in action and upload to YouTube. Then send on a link to local TDs and councillors, local organisations and business owners, media organisations (online, paper, local radio, as well as national) If the action is as you describe it, I could see it going viral very quickly. Along with the video include details of how many times you have previously contacted the Guards both anonymously and otherwise. Very hard for the Guards to ignore it in this case.

Also it would be relatively easy to update should the problem resume down the road.

A bit of a worry is that there may be security implications for your office/building. Obviously the bigger the building the more secure. Try and not make it too obvious where the filming is done from it at all possible. Also the Guards probably won't be too pleased about things and if you are unlucky you might end up picking up some hassle. However the fact that you are in the city as opposed to the country will probably protect you. Also with the publicity it is unlikely they will directly try anything.

It would be a bit of work, but I think it has the most likely possibility for success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Thats nothing. I've seen people shooting up in broad daylight on Baggot st.

Some seriously disgusting Junkies in Dublin. Can't help but feel sorry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Brendog wrote: »
    Thats nothing. I've seen people shooting up in broad daylight on Baggot st.

Some seriously disgusting Junkies in Dublin. Can't help but feel sorry for them.
    Heh, there was a lad shooting up in the little fire door entrance of Penneys on Abbey St the other evening. Security guard didn't want to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Just tell the Guards you are sure its Hash or Weed they are selling and then you will see them, They actually just don't give a damn about Heroin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

charlemont wrote: »
    Just tell the Guards your sure its Hash or Weed they are selling and then you will see them, They actually just don't give a damn about Heroin.

Better yet,stand there smoking a spliff with a few friends and you'll see cops fighting with each other to nick you...it works even better if any of you are rockers or whatever.

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    Better yet,stand there smoking a spliff with a few friends and you'll see cops fighting with each other to nick you...it works even better if any of you are rockers or whatever.

Sadly its so so true...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

This crap has been going on in Dublin for so long. How is it that we have such a problem with it and NOTHING is done?

I've never been to a city with a problem like this in its centre! Especially in the middle of such busy streets, it's incredible!

Are the police powerless or apathetic?

This crap has been going on in Dublin for so long. How is it that we have such a problem with it and NOTHING is done?

I've never been to a city with a problem like this in its centre! Especially in the middle of such busy streets, it's incredible!

Are the police powerless or apathetic?

They just don't care, I'm convinced they are told by their superiors not to bother junkies, Its the same where I live, In fact they closed a drug free prison here and since then the place has just gotten worse with most crime here now caused by addicts, Yet before the prison was shut we had hardly any Heroin addicts, The mind boggles or is it deliberate ??? A shower of monkeys could police the place better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

I live in a ground floor city centre apartment and my bedroom balcony backs out onto a lane near capel st. they are constantly coming down the lane to inject, I usually have the blinds down but if I look out im literally 3meters away from them. I even caught them on my balcony shooting up a month ago, I pulled up the blinds and they apologised and left. Today two of them came down the lane and 'chased the dragon' with tinfoil today, called the cops but they were gone by the time they arrived.

I just moved home after over 6 years of being away. In all the cities I've been in, I have never seen more junkies, open drug dealing and open heroin injecting as Dublin. It is disgusting and is putting me off settling here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Thanks for the suggestions,I'll contact a few TD's offices tomorrow and see what the response from them is.

Things have been getting worse and worse in the area since the dealing has become more regular,more addicts hanging around and more discarded syringes,human waste etc on the basement steps every morning.If the Gardai had acted on our information when we first contacted them about the lads dealing then things would never have gotten this bad.They just don't seem to care,which is very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Are you near Abbey Street or Jervis?
    I am sick of the open drug deals on the Luas. They get on at one stop and off at the next. They were taunting the guards today when the jumped on today because the door had closed - I thought they'd be picked up at Jervis but there was no Guards to be seen. Walked around the corner onto Liffey Street and about 5 guards chatting away - not a care in the world.

It's absolutely feffin disgusting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

You can understand the cops not wanting to deal with the Junkies but the dealers should be a different story. Can you see where the stash is? Maybe that would be of interest to the Gardai if it's enough to keep them going for a whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Simona1986 wrote: »
    You can understand the cops not wanting to deal with the Junkies

I can't understand it no, if there's a concert there busting and taking weed off peaceful usually law abiding people but yet if you want to shoot some heroin in the middle of one of Ireland busiest tourist spots it's ok. Excuse the pun but it's a cop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

AGS know that this is going on but for some reason, they're not bothered about sorting it out. I remember around a year ago that it took some calls to Joe Duffy to get the Gárdaí to move junkies out of the boardwalk area. They stopped doing it after the eyes of the media were turned away.

The suggestion to record this stuff and post it on youtube is a good one. It might not get anywhere but at least the evidence will be there for all to see. Anything to raise the profile of this problem can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Simona1986 wrote: »
    You can understand the cops not wanting to deal with the Junkies but the dealers should be a different story. Can you see where the stash is? Maybe that would be of interest to the Gardai if it's enough to keep them going for a whole day.

From watching them I think the stash is kept down the laneway,because when the addict approaches the first guy on the street they give him the money,and then the other fella comes up from the lane and hands the addict something.Have expalined all this over the phone to the Garda station and the confidential line yoke.

Hopefully getting in touch with the TD's tomorrow will do something.Don't really feel comfortable videoing them mainly cos I don't want to bring any hassle on myself or the people who work in our offices.

If nothing comes of contacting the TD's then I'll wash my hands of the situation.If nobody who's paid to care about this does,then I'm not going to waste my time worrying about it either.Just thought I'd try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

lima wrote: »
    I live in a ground floor city centre apartment and my bedroom balcony backs out onto a lane near capel st. they are constantly coming down the lane to inject, I usually have the blinds down but if I look out im literally 3meters away from them. I even caught them on my balcony shooting up a month ago, I pulled up the blinds and they apologised and left. Today two of them came down the lane and 'chased the dragon' with tinfoil today, called the cops but they were gone by the time they arrived.

I just moved home after over 6 years of being away. In all the cities I've been in, I have never seen more junkies, open drug dealing and open heroin injecting as Dublin. It is disgusting and is putting me off settling here.

Never get a ground floor apartment. Especially in the city centre.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I used to live in city centre, near a shooting spot. Well, our entrance was the shooting spot, to be more accurate.

I wrote a letter FAO the superintendent of my local station, explaining the real impact it had on our life.
    I then called the station EVERY SINGLE TIME the junkies turned up. every single effin' time. But I was always very polite.

It took a few months, but guess what.

The way I see it, you don't have to accept it if you're not ok with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Again, another thread on drug injecting in the city centre. Move the clinics to Grafton st and the problem will largely disappear from D1. Move the clinics to an Amsterdam(like in The Wire) in an abandoned industrial zone and the problem will probably disappear from the city centre.
    The situation will only change when there is political will. As for living on Capel st and other similar streets, very few would opt to live around there permanently because of this problem. Many move to the suburbs to escape the junkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

this is an issue thats close to my heart because there are junkies and scumbags dealing and injecting drugs right outside my workplace in the city centre too

i am so sick of seeing it and its dangerous too as these guys are probably all riddled with aids and they can be violent if they need a fix so anyone in the area is at real risk from this scum

id like to see the problem contained for once and for all

if a person is found taking or dealing drugs (not hash obvo) just once they should be put into a garda van and taken to a cold turkey detox camp in the sticks somewhere like leitrim to get clean

they are given one chance

if they are caught again they are placed in an isolated detox camp where they go cold turkey and once the drugs are out of their system they get to break rocks for a year

if they reoffend when they get out they get two years breaking rocks and so on

decent members of the public are entitled to safe movement on public streets and this is how to achieve that

A mate of mine who's a nurse tells me that the drugs to make heroin addicts actually stop have been available in this country for years.

However,the Govt being the Govt have opted instead for a taxpayer-funded,lifetime maintanance programme using methadone.

As some chemists and a lot of doctors make thier bread and butter through this programme you can just hear the vested interests at work once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

gurramok wrote: »
    Again, another thread on drug injecting in the city centre. Move the clinics to Grafton st and the problem will largely disappear from D1. Move the clinics to an Amsterdam(like in The Wire) in an abandoned industrial zone and the problem will probably disappear from the city centre.
    The situation will only change when there is political will. As for living on Capel st and other similar streets, very few would opt to live around there permanently because of this problem. Many move to the suburbs to escape the junkies.

Why should people feel the need to move to the suburbs?

I work on Abbey Street myself and am sick of these zombies.

The streets should be reclaimed by good honest folk and these fcukers should be dealt with. The city could be a vibrant, buzzing place if these creatures were taken from the streets.

Some day a real rain will come and wash the scum from the streets.

(God, I sound like a mentalist) :)

Birneybau wrote: »

The streets should be reclaimed by good honest folk and these fcukers should be dealt with. The city could be a vibrant, buzzing place if these creatures were taken from the streets.

And forget about then being some sort of "victims"...these fcuckers are junkies through choice and choice alone.

I've heard 100's of them mouthing off on buses etc over the years and i've never heard one say they want to get clean and come off gear.

Instead its a perpetual stream of discussions about tablets,physeptone,robberies,charges,sentences,claims,pregnancies,deaths and warrants.

They may need "clean" urine to get thier "takeaways" of methadone so they simply does up on prescription meds like Dalmane and Valium instead..this is waht constitutes the bulk of the dealing you see in town.

These people are happy to be part of this subculture and often use dosages of methadone and severity of sentences as a badge of honour.

Fcuck them all,i say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Birneybau wrote: »

Deal with the dealers first IMO.

Deal with the dealers first IMO.

They're nearly all dealers...people are getting prescriptions from doctors and selling the tablets on...most heroin addicts will buy in bulk and sell a few deals to pay for thier own habits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

AGS know that this is going on but for some reason, they're not bothered about sorting it out.

Just because you can't see the Gardai doesn't mean they're not there.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2012/03/15/00077.asp

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2012/03/22/00125.asp

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/eleven-face-charges-after-major-garda-drug-operation-2252060.html

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/operation-clean-street-nabs-swords-drugs-youth-794556.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0701/drugs.html

I'm not saying this is the case in the OP's situation but to say the Gardai are not bothered is obviously incorrect. They have limited resources for these kind of operations but they are the only effective way to make a dent in whats going on. It's very easy to stand on the outside and take a black and white view of the situation.

Advertisement