Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Drug Dealing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Not sure which minister handles tourism but get on to them too
    They might not care about locals and local businesses and ratepayers but they'll be motivated to look after tourists

That would be Leo

http://www.leovaradkar.ie/

I think he sees enough of these goings on in his local area too ( D15 )

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

CucaFace wrote: »
    Ive never been to another City in the world where the city centre is like this. icon8.gif

You haven't traveled much have you?

Couple of things spring to mind. I used to step over junkies on the nod in my apartments stairwell in Prague, I have been offered a hit of smack in the Railway Station in Amsterdam by a guy smoking openly in the middle of the day , and watched methadone being sold in the daylight on the streets of Frankfurt.

Waste of Garda time bringing in junkies and low level street dealers. Yes, Ireland has the worst rate of injectable drug addiction in Europe - but to be honest, the 'war on drugs' will only be won when

a. All drugs are legalised and available from legitimate sources (removing violent crime from distribution and cleaning up supply)
    and b. 12 step programmes are funded by Govt.

Everything else doesn't work.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g9C6x99EnFVdFuXw_B8pvDRzLqcA
    Health experts in Portugal said Friday that Portugal's decision 10 years ago to decriminalise drug use and treat addicts rather than punishing them is an experiment that has worked.

"There is no doubt that the phenomenon of addiction is in decline in Portugal," said Joao Goulao, President of the Institute of Drugs and Drugs Addiction, a press conference to mark the 10th anniversary of the law.

The number of addicts considered "problematic" -- those who repeatedly use "hard" drugs and intravenous users -- had fallen by half since the early 1990s, when the figure was estimated at around 100,000 people, Goulao said

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

MadsL wrote: »
    You haven't traveled much have you?

Couple of things spring to mind. I used to step over junkies on the nod in my apartments stairwell in Prague, I have been offered a hit of smack in the Railway Station in Amsterdam by a guy smoking openly in the middle of the day , and watched methadone being sold in the daylight on the streets of Frankfurt.

Waste of Garda time bringing in junkies and low level street dealers. Yes, Ireland has the worst rate of injectable drug addiction in Europe - but to be honest, the 'war on drugs' will only be won when

a. All drugs are legalised and available from legitimate sources (removing violent crime from distribution and cleaning up supply)

Amsterdam is nowhere near as bad as Dublin and neither is Prague. I have been to plenty of European cities in Europe plus Vegas and Dublin is by far the worst for the sheer openness of it. The city centre is full of zombies esp. the North side. Last night i was driving into work in town but the road was blocked as there was an ambulance picking some girl off the street with puke all over her and needles all around her. But then again thats nothing new, is it? The North city centre has become a total sh1thole between junkies, Roma hasslers and whatever else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Y

The Portugese approach has proven to be spectacularly successful but the powers that be (read the US and France in particular) are determined to fight the spread of the model as much as possible.

Warper wrote: »
    Amsterdam is nowhere near as bad as Dublin and neither is Prague. I have been to plenty of European cities in Europe plus Vegas and Dublin is by far the worst for the sheer openness of it. The city centre is full of zombies esp. the North side.

How many have you lived in? I used to run a bar on a street in Prague that had at least 6-7 openly dealing heroin and Pervitin (meth) dealers along it on it - cops all paid off. Could not keep a teaspoon in the place - my bouncer used to bring them beer in plastic cups to keep them out of the bar. At the time all drugs were legal - then they criminalised and it brought worse violence, recently the Czechs have de-criminalised again.
    Last night i was driving into work in town but the road was blocked as there was an ambulance picking some girl off the street with puke all over her and needles all around her. But then again thats nothing new, is it? The North city centre has become a total sh1thole between junkies, Roma hasslers and whatever else.

Walk down Grafton Street at 2am any night and there are girls covered in puke. Why is heroin any different?
    Every seven hours, someone in Ireland dies from an alcohol-related illness and there are almost twice as many deaths due to alcohol as due to all other drugs combined.

http://alcoholireland.ie/alcohol-facts/alcohol-related-harm-facts-and-statistics/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Well I've lived in many cities (London, Aachen (Germany), Melbourne, San Francisco and Dublin) and by FAR the worst I have seen for Heroin is Dublin. It makes me SICK to see gangs of them on O'Connell St and Talbot St giving stick to tourists and normal people going about their way, while they stroll around with determination looking like they are seriously busy when all they are talking about is their next fix. As for the f*ckers who go down my lane off Capel St every day at around 5pm, they make me want to get sick. Especially the one who done a huge **** in the middle of the lane, amongst all the needles and empty citrus powder wrappers

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Madsl you seem to be completely missing the point here.

For the record Ive been in enough cities to stand by my comment about Dublin.

Ive been to Prague many times and not once did I feel the place had any such drug problem.

Yes most Cities have their drug problems as Im sure Prague does, but they for the most part do not exist in the city centre where all the tourists are. Thats the whole point, the fact that thousands of people visiting here each day see the disgraceful scene's and take thee images away with them. I never took such images aweay from Prague as I never saw them as they were not in the city centre area on show for everyone to see like they are on the Northside city centre of this city.

We are not discussing solving the drug problem itself, we are discussing how it has been allowed to happen in the city centre of this city.

And honestly i find it weird that you then for some reason try to equate some peope getting sick on Grafton street late at night to an epidimic of Herion abuse in our faces all day long.

I mean what point are you actually trying to make?

That its ok for the what is going on near Tablbot street?

Maybe you haven't been up there for a while. You should takle a quick walk there, as It wouldn't be long before you would see what some of us here are saying about the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Good point, sweep it all out to the suburbs, where it can be ignored again.

Can't have the whole world seeing what a poxy drug porblem this city has :P

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Bambi wrote: »
    Good point, sweep it all out to the suburbs, where it can be ignored again.

Can't have the whole world seeing what a poxy drug porblem this city has :P

No you're right.

It's much better having thousands of tourists seeing this and being intimidated by these junkies every single day.

That will help them get off the gear and also help tourism and the economy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Was walking on Dorset Street yesterday morning around 11am. Passed 2 junkies sitting on the red wall here http://g.co/maps/sbphk , with a needle and a few other bits and getting ready to inject themselves. They were making absolutely no effort to conceal what they were doing. Mountjoy is only 5 minutes down the road but sure that clearly didn't bother them.
    I though about ringing the guards but realistically what were they going to do....tell them to move on, arrest them for possession??:confused:

It might have nothing to do with that, but a few meters down the road, you have them City Council Apartments, opposite the church. I encountered a few dodgy looking young people there as well, mainly after dark, I was nearly pushed off the bike a few times, coming home from work :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Was walking on Dorset Street yesterday morning around 11am. Passed 2 junkies sitting on the red wall here http://g.co/maps/sbphk , with a needle and a few other bits and getting ready to inject themselves. They were making absolutely no effort to conceal what they were doing. Mountjoy is only 5 minutes down the road but sure that clearly didn't bother them.
    I though about ringing the guards but realistically what were they going to do....tell them to move on, arrest them for possession??:confused:

Well there's the problem. You should have rang the garda. The more people ring them, the more they can get resources.

Please don't complain about things and then do NOTHING about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Well there's the problem. You should have rang the garda. The more people ring them, the more they can get resources.

Please don't complain about things and then do NOTHING about it.

I rang them about being nearly pushed off the bike, still I was told, I need evidence. So they took all the details, but nothing really happened...at least I can't see more Gardai in the area at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I rang them about being nearly pushed off the bike, still I was told, I need evidence. So they took all the details, but nothing really happened...at least I can't see more Gardai in the area at all

Unfortunately one swallow doesn't make a summer. I would imagine that it would take some kind of repetitive issue to make the garda change whatever resources available to tackle it. I did once live in an area where trouble was being caused by drunken teenagers, myself and a few neighbors always called the garda. After a few times the garda did drive by a lot more.

Madsl you seem to be completely missing the point here.

And you seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that some sort of zero-tolerance Arizona style policing will solve the problem. It doesn't - it just fills up jails.
    For the record Ive been in enough cities to stand by my comment about Dublin.

Ive been to Prague many times and not once did I feel the place had any such drug problem.

Well, I've given you my personal experience - now here are are the statistics.
    The annual report from the National Drug Monitoring Center shows a 33 percent increase in intravenous drug abusers over the past decade, a development the country's drug czar calls "a serious situation."

"I have been warning about this for two years," National Drug Coordinator Jindřich Vobořil said. "The budget on the drug treatment and prevention has dropped from 150 million Kč in 1999, when I started, to 75 million Kč."

The report, which tracks trends from 2011 and was released in early April, estimates there are about 40,000 serious drug addicts using largely pervitin - a locally made methamphetamine - and heroin. The regions most affected are Prague, south Moravia and north Bohemia.
    http://www.praguepost.com/news/12790-drug-addiction-spiralling-in-cr.html

Decriminalisation only works if you fund treatment. The Gardai look the other way - but there are no funds for treatment. This is why we have a similar rise in Ireland.

Yes most Cities have their drug problems as Im sure Prague does, but they for the most part do not exist in the city centre where all the tourists are.
    Sorry, but that is nonsense. The junkies I used to step over in the morning were shooting up in a stairwell off Celetná, right off Old Town Square. I could take you to tourist bars where you could easily score and shoot right in the bar/toilets.
    Thats the whole point, the fact that thousands of people visiting here each day see the disgraceful scene's and take thee images away with them. I never took such images aweay from Prague as I never saw them as they were not in the city centre area on show for everyone to see like they are on the Northside city centre of this city.

Just because you didn't see them on your trip doesn't mean they are not there.
    We are not discussing solving the drug problem itself, we are discussing how it has been allowed to happen in the city centre of this city.

Err...would you be happier then if it happened only in D15? Surely,
    And honestly i find it weird that you then for some reason try to equate some peope getting sick on Grafton street late at night to an epidimic of Herion abuse in our faces all day long.

I mean what point are you actually trying to make?

That Alcohol kills significantly more people each year than all illegal drugs. Yet I don't see threads here complaining about open drunkenness on Dublin's streets. Yet, every night in Dublin you will see people dangerously drunk.
    That its ok for the what is going on near Tablbot street?
    Where would you like it to happen? It is all very well throwing up the hands and saying how terrible it is, what's your solution? Anything else is just moving it around.
    Maybe you haven't been up there for a while. You should takle a quick walk there, as It wouldn't be long before you would see what some of us here are saying about the area.

Nope, I haven't. The balls made of the economy forced me to emigrate last November, even though i wasn't dumb enough to buy an overpriced apartment. It doesn't suprise me however, having spent the last 7 years living in Smithfield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Just on other european cities...there are parts of Athens where there are needles dumped literally everywhere and there are junkies in huge numbers thronging the streets..the area around Omonia square is like a scene frm hell after dark and not a whole lot better in the daytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The lower end of the Ramblas and the streets to either side in Barcelona are also full of drug dealing and prostitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭happyfish

It only hit home to me how bad this problem really is the other week when I was walking to busaras with a friend of mine visiting from Galway. It was about 7 o'clock in the evening and the scumbags were out in full force. I see them all the time and I just don't pay them any heed, but they were all my friend was looking at. She's obviously been to Dublin before but I couldn't stop wondering what the tourists must think. Obviously there are problems in other cities but this isn't the equivalent to a tourist bar with drug problems, it's more like if the Eiffel tower had drug problems. O'Connell St. has loads of tourist attractions, the government should be milking it and making it attractive since it's the first thing a lot of tourists will see.
    I just realised as I was typing this that I never notice the spire or the gpo on O'Connell St. Usually all I see is the zombies coming up while I'm waiting for the bus to ask me inane questions or dealing drugs behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

I think it's great . No more pharmacies if suffering from mild insomnia . Just score a few Zimmos (same a dr would do), take for few days and voila.?sleep pattern returns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Having lived in Canada I can confirm that all of its western cities have cronic drug user issues in the city centre also, except its crack there and much worse.

They have the same problem we do, lack of political will to tackle the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kyle123

its not a thing that the guards are told to leave them at it i think most guards are afraid to go near most of them. i know several guards who have been assaulted by junkies while trying to stop them one had a syringe with blood pulled on him when he went upto a couple of them. this wasnt in dublin but the problem is country wide. But i hafto admit the liffey boardwalk and surrounding area is ripe with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

On Friday there was a huge Garda presence on O connell street and abbey street. I was walking back from lunch and the guards were moving people on. Having worked in that area for 10 years I never get bothered, but it was good to see the streets being cleaned up. The guards said they will have a presence there for the next number of months

Aggressive begging at the ticket machines I would see as being more of a problem than drug dealing. Delighted to see that being acted on.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kyle123

Aggressive begging at the ticket machines I would see as being more of a problem than drug dealing. Delighted to see that being acted on.

You seriously think that's worse than drug dealing? Why do u think half of them area begging?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Looks like you need Omar y'all

kyle123 wrote: »
    You seriously think that's worse than drug dealing? Why do u think half of them area begging?

I said problem. People buying drugs doesn't impact the average citizen, apart from crime to buy drugs, but that is a function of addiction not supply. The exchange of money for drugs does not hugely impact the average citizen in of itself. However, high;y aggressive, intimidating begging creates a scale of disturbance from annoyance to outright fear.

You seem to be making a moral argument that buying drugs is morally worse than intimating someone into giving you money. But the law disagrees -Possession is a Class C fine, yet aggressive begging is a class E fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month or both.

Perhaps you mean selling drugs is worse? Would you rather be offered drugs or intimidated by a dangerous looking beggar?

Or are you speaking morally and believe that dealers are a bigger threat to the 'fabric of society'?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

amtc wrote: »
    On Friday there was a huge Garda presence on O connell street and abbey street. I was walking back from lunch and the guards were moving people on. Having worked in that area for 10 years I never get bothered, but it was good to see the streets being cleaned up. The guards said they will have a presence there for the next number of months

I have also noticed a slightly increased garda presence on o connell street since the start of May. There was a van parked in the centre, just past the spire on Saturday (5th). It looked very high tech in comparison to the usual vehicles and i hadn't seen that type before. Looked very CSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

No you're right.

It's much better having thousands of tourists seeing this and being intimidated by these junkies every single day.

That will help them get off the gear and also help tourism and the economy here.

Actually it is, because the likes of you will bellyache about it and something might actually be done eventually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Degsy wrote: »

:eek:
    Theres a thread selling Mephedrone that opened in March and its still active. That site needs some of boards.ie moderators.

• Advertisement

:eek:
    Theres a thread selling Mephedrone that opened in March and its still active. That site needs some of boards.ie moderators.

Or the boards.ie moderators need drugs :P

Advertisement