Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Drug Dealing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Degsy wrote: »

Thats Nutz:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with other peoples drug habits? Why is that? Fair enough whining about happening in town but how did you find a website for dealers? Even I'm shocked that exists.

Town is much quieter now (Talbot St area) with the amount of cameras they have installed on every corner that follow whomever they are watching. The amount of people being pulled this week alone beats the entire amount of people on the past few months I'd say. The guards are doing their job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

MadsL wrote: »
    I said problem. People buying drugs doesn't impact the average citizen, apart from crime to buy drugs, but that is a function of addiction not supply. The exchange of money for drugs does not hugely impact the average citizen in of itself. However, high;y aggressive, intimidating begging creates a scale of disturbance from annoyance to outright fear.

You seem to be making a moral argument that buying drugs is morally worse than intimating someone into giving you money. But the law disagrees -Possession is a Class C fine, yet aggressive begging is a class E fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month or both.

I think the point being made is that aggressive begging is a symptom of the drug problem. While people buying drugs doesn't affect the general public, if you tackle the drug problem then the begging problem will subside (along with muggings, petty theft etc.).
    It's a waste of time to focus on the symptom rather than the underlying cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

face1990 wrote: »
    I think the point being made is that aggressive begging is a symptom of the drug problem. While people buying drugs doesn't affect the general public, if you tackle the drug problem then the begging problem will subside (along with muggings, petty theft etc.).
    It's a waste of time to focus on the symptom rather than the underlying cause.

Which is exactly my point that it is pointless busting users and small time street dealers. However, where the wider public is affected - ie aggressive begging, or theft - there should be zero-tolerance.

Legalisation, user registration, drug courts and abstinence based treatment are the way to treat the underlying cause. CCTV is a waste of money and will simply shift the dealers elsewhere. Gardai unfortunately are taking lessons from the UK not Portugal, where drug harm reduction and decriminalisation strategies are working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

lima wrote: »
    Did anyone hear about the guy who died in the liffey yesterday? Apparently the guards were chasing 3 dealers and one either fell or jumped into the liffey, go stuck in the mud underneath and never came back up

That's one gone thankfully.

The only real resolution to this problem is to put the methedone clinic down in a docklands and clear the city centre. The issue with the north inner city is that the red line passes through it. You see countless junkies get on from Tallaght, Drimnagh, Rialto on the southside, they roar & shout - get off at Abbey St & go about their business making the city look bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I work in an office in the North Inner City and for the past month or so there has been obvious open drug dealing taking place opposite our offices.My desk is right at the window so I have a birds eye view of it.In the beginning it started off happening for about an hour or so everyday just after lunchtime,but it's now got to the point that it the two guys dealing are there from 11am and they're still there when I'm leaving work at 5:30ish in the evening.

I've pretty much figured out how the operation works,one guy takes the money,and a younger guy comes up from the lane where the drugs are obviously stashed and passes the drugs to the customer.A taxi comes every afternoon and another guy gets out and swaps places with the guy down the lane.

We've rang the Garda station and the Garda confidential line thing lots of times now,but if we're lucky a squad car drives buy,and when that happens the guy on the street just walks off and returns in 20 mins or so.

I lock my bike up in yard/car park behind our offices and last week when I was going home I disturbed two addicts who were in the middle of shooting up.I don't lock my bike in there anymore obviously.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience in getting a problem like this dealt with?it's so frustrating watching this going on and getting worse as it could be so easily stopped by the Gardai with just a modicum of effort on their part.

Cheers.

Near Talbott st / Abbey theatre by any chance?

TheTwiz wrote: »
    The only real resolution to this problem is to put the methedone clinic down in a docklands and clear the city centre.

Better yet, legalise possession, have pharmaceutical grade available from treatment centres for registered users, and fund 12 step style abstinence programmes like NA and others. Crucially - stop maintaining addicts for years on methadone without a withdrawal strategy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Better yet, legalise possession, have pharmaceutical grade available from treatment centres for registered users, and fund 12 step style abstinence programmes like NA and others.

It might as well be legal and the fcuckers already get free methadone paid for by the state...they should be given nothing for free....its like giving alcoholics free whiskey.

A lot of these people hve no interest in getting off gear,al they care about is getting wankered..i mean i heard a woman on the bus going in for a scan whilst six months pregnant,drinking at 8.30 in the morning and then arranging (loudly) to by a "tray of zimmos" off abloke in pearse street when she was finished getting her phy.

The fact that she had a kid inside her was a minor impediment to getting her drugs so why would she try to give up of her own accord?

It might as well be legal and the fcuckers already get free methadone paid for by the state...they should be given nothing for free....its like giving alcoholics free whiskey.

A lot of these people hve no interest in getting off gear,al they care about is getting wankered..i mean i heard a woman on the bus going in for a scan whilst six months pregnant,drinking at 8.30 in the morning and then arranging (loudly) to by a "tray of zimmos" off abloke in pearse street when she was finished getting her phy.

The fact that she had a kid inside her was a minor impediment to getting her drugs so why would she try to give up of her own accord?

There's actually a shortage of methodone places, so they are not all getting "free methadone". I note the word 'free' like it is a perk. Why is that? Do you think the state should not fund drug treatment?

In this woman's case there would be a case for arresting her to protect the unborn child. You'd probably describe that as free housing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There's actually a shortage of methodone places, so they are not all getting "free methadone". I note the word 'free' like it is a perk. Why is that? Do you think the state should not fund drug treatment?

No i dont..particularly as its not actually treatment..its a maintainace programme whereeby they provide free drugs to people who are addicted to drugs...the only people benefitting are the drug-users themselves..no incentive to come off and with the visible prescene of them plying thier wares all over the city centre.

As i've said why doesnt the state also fund treatment for alcoholics by giving them free booze?

Its a vested interest by doctors and pharmacies to make sure this ridiculous system is kept in place...a newly-opened chemist in ballymun had a sign in the window casually indicating that they filled "ALL prescriptions"...trying to get a slice of the drug problem for profit.

• Advertisement

No i dont..particularly as its not actually treatment..its a maintainace programme whereeby they provide free drugs to people who are addicted to drugs...the only people benefitting are the drug-users themselves..no incentive to come off and with the visible prescene of them plying thier wares all over the city centre.

As i've said why doesnt the state also fund treatment for alcoholics by giving them free booze?

Its a vested interest by doctors and pharmacies to make sure this ridiculous system is kept in place...a newly-opened chemist in ballymun had a sign in the window casually indicating that they filled "ALL prescriptions"...trying to get a slice of the drug problem for profit.

Fair point. I actually think methedone does more harm than good. But harm reduction and funding abstinence-based counselling services is where the money should be going.

Decriminalisation, needle exchange, abstinence-based counselling and tackling importation at the organised crime level is how I would go. legal to possess, illegal to sell is how the Portuguese and others have handled it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Methadone is a joke, The junkies drink it, get the hit off it and then regurgitate it into yogurt bottles and sell it on to the even more desperate. Source - Family member is a pharmacist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Fair point. I actually think methedone does more harm than good. But harm reduction and funding abstinence-based counselling services is where the money should be going.

Decriminalisation, needle exchange, abstinence-based counselling and tackling importation at the organised crime level is how I would go. legal to possess, illegal to sell is how the Portuguese and others have handled it.

Switzerland has something similar to Portugal and has had similar levels of reduction in addiction and drug related crime.

Methadone is a joke, The junkies drink it, get the hit off it and then regurgitate it into yogurt bottles and sell it on to the even more desperate. Source - Family member is a pharmacist.

Myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

SteoL wrote: »
    Myth.

It's true, whether you care to believe it or not.

SteoL wrote: »
    Myth.

It's true, whether you care to believe it or not.

No it isn't. Most methadone is taken under supervision. It needs to be absorbed into their stomach to give a 'hit' as you call it. Takes up to an hour. Any regurgitation would be vomit, nothing else. Absolutely nothing to gain for another addict to swallow it which they simply wouldn't do.

I'm aware they sometimes get little plastic bottles containing phy to take away. Usually a reward for being clean. These are sometimes sold on which is how I think the confusion arises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

LOL, would ya stop...

Not even a junkie at his lowest will buy a yogurt bottle with various colours & chunks :D Plenty of them get takeaways so nobody is regurtitaing it to sell it, I'm still laughing at the thoughts of it & you believed it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Source - Family member is a wind-up merchant.

or

Source - Family member is regurgitating lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Having travelled a good bit, I'm yet to see a big/capital city that dosesnt have open drug dealing in some form or another. OP you said you rang the gards...I'd hazard a guess they already knew. They will allow it to go on to an extent. It keeps people in the one area and if they're looking for Anyone for arrest or as a tout, they know where to go to get them.

I've said it before, and I'm about to say it again, when the crack addicts really take a hold in the city we'll be begging the heroin addicts to come back.

Pffft crack, wait til someone really starts cooking crystal meth in Ireland. Then it will get bad.

I cannot buy more than two Sudafed decongestant tablets at a time here (Albuquerque) and they must be taken in the pharmacy. Cooking meth requires Phenylephrine = Sudafed.

• Advertisement

City is already full of crack. Crystal Meth out there 2. Poor mans crack. Dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

I've heard the junkies aren't too fond of meth in Dublin, no idea why, but the epicentre for Meth is Ballymun.

Ive seen more crack heads then meth heads in the city centre but anytime I see a crack head they seem to be a female.

Scars on face, meth. Sunken faces/ Shakers, Crack. Sweaty yellow faces, Heroin. Smiling faces, all round general look of healthyness, weed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

TheTwiz wrote: »
    lima wrote: »
    Did anyone hear about the guy who died in the liffey yesterday? Apparently the guards were chasing 3 dealers and one either fell or jumped into the liffey, go stuck in the mud underneath and never came back up

That's one gone thankfully.

The only real resolution to this problem is to put the methedone clinic down in a docklands and clear the city centre. The issue with the north inner city is that the red line passes through it. You see countless junkies get on from Tallaght, Drimnagh, Rialto on the southside, they roar & shout - get off at Abbey St & go about their business making the city look bad

Slow down there. Junkies originate from a lot more places be it red.line or not..and more.particularly along inner cith from james to jervis.due to shelters so leave it out badmouthing entire communities

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingK

'Junkies' or rather drug addicts come from all walks of life and all areas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

bc dub wrote: »
    I've heard the junkies aren't too fond of meth in Dublin, no idea why, but the epicentre for Meth is Ballymun.

Ive seen more crack heads then meth heads in the city centre but anytime I see a crack head they seem to be a female.

Scars on face, meth. Sunken faces/ Shakers, Crack. Sweaty yellow faces, Heroin. Smiling faces, all round general look of healthyness, weed.

What if they are poly drug users ? how would you recognise them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

KingK wrote: »
    'Junkies' or rather drug addicts come from all walks of life and all areas

But mostly socially disadvantaged areas.

mattjack wrote: »
    bc dub wrote: »

What if they are poly drug users ? how would you recognise them ?

I suppose they'll have sweaty yellow sunken faces with scars on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I work in an office in the North Inner City and for the past month or so there has been obvious open drug dealing taking place opposite our offices.My desk is right at the window so I have a birds eye view of it.In the beginning it started off happening for about an hour or so everyday just after lunchtime,but it's now got to the point that it the two guys dealing are there from 11am and they're still there when I'm leaving work at 5:30ish in the evening.

I've pretty much figured out how the operation works,one guy takes the money,and a younger guy comes up from the lane where the drugs are obviously stashed and passes the drugs to the customer.A taxi comes every afternoon and another guy gets out and swaps places with the guy down the lane.

We've rang the Garda station and the Garda confidential line thing lots of times now,but if we're lucky a squad car drives buy,and when that happens the guy on the street just walks off and returns in 20 mins or so.

I lock my bike up in yard/car park behind our offices and last week when I was going home I disturbed two addicts who were in the middle of shooting up.I don't lock my bike in there anymore obviously.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience in getting a problem like this dealt with?it's so frustrating watching this going on and getting worse as it could be so easily stopped by the Gardai with just a modicum of effort on their part.

Cheers.
    tell the cops not the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Birneybau wrote: »
    Why should people feel the need to move to the suburbs?

I work on Abbey Street myself and am sick of these zombies.

The streets should be reclaimed by good honest folk and these fcukers should be dealt with. The city could be a vibrant, buzzing place if these creatures were taken from the streets.

Some day a real rain will come and wash the scum from the streets.

(God, I sound like a mentalist) :)

Real Travis B stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,309 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

du Maurier wrote: »
    Real Travis B stuff...

Hence the direct quote...

Advertisement