Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Drug Dealing.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

bc dub wrote: »
    Scars on face, meth. Sunken faces/ Shakers, Crack. Sweaty yellow faces, Heroin. Smiling faces, all round general look of healthyness, weed.

Lol...what a load of crap!

Degsy wrote: »
    A mate of mine who's a nurse tells me that the drugs to make heroin addicts actually stop have been available in this country for years.

However,the Govt being the Govt have opted instead for a taxpayer-funded,lifetime maintanance programme using methadone.

As some chemists and a lot of doctors make thier bread and butter through this programme you can just hear the vested interests at work once again.

Are you actually ****ing serious?:pac: What is this so called magic drug?

SteoL wrote: »
    Myth.

Unfortunately, this is true. You have to watch patients in a consultation room while they take their methadone. Then check their mouth that they swallowed it. Obviously if the patient does not swallow the methadone. They won't get the effects of methadone. However, I don't really understand how you could get a "hit" off methadone anyway. It shouldn't induce euphoria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Birneybau wrote: »
    Hence the direct quote...

Yes, it was (albeit without quotes). It was the bracketed bit in your post that prompted my clarification!: "(God, I sound like a mentalist)" suggested that line was your own creation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Unfortunately, this is true. You have to watch patients in a consultation room while they take their methadone. Then check their mouth that they swallowed it. Obviously if the patient does not swallow the methadone. They won't get the effects of methadone. However, I don't really understand how you could get a "hit" off methadone anyway. It shouldn't induce euphoria.
    It's not true, they are made drink it so they don't sell it on.
    If they drink it it's obviously unsellable, nobody, not even a junkie is going to buy a bottle of vomit with the promise it contains phy.

Think about it, a bottle of vomit for a tenner or a fiver?!? I don't think so, they would buy tablets instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

bc dub wrote: »
    Scars on face, meth. Sunken faces/ Shakers, Crack. Sweaty yellow faces, Heroin. Smiling faces, all round general look of healthyness, weed.

Lol...what a load of crap!

I think he means heroin addicts have the sweaty yellow faces whereas weed smokers generally don't suffer any serious health effects as a result of smoking. Maybe I took you up wrong and you may correct me if so but I read your post as you thinking he meant heroin users are healthy.

Are you actually ****ing serious?:pac: What is this so called magic drug?

Ibogaine.

It works apparantly.

I think he means heroin addicts have the sweaty yellow faces whereas weed smokers generally don't suffer any serious health effects as a result of smoking. Maybe I took you up wrong and you may correct me if so but I read your post as you thinking he meant heroin users are healthy.

I know what he meant but it read to me like a sort of "cut n paste" from a religion teacher's guide to drug addiction...a bunch of cliches and outdated terms.

I know what he meant but it read to me like a sort of "cut n paste" from a religion teacher's guide to drug addiction...a bunch of cliches and outdated terms.

Ah right, getchya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭nua domhan

A mate of mine who's a nurse tells me that the drugs to make heroin addicts actually stop have been available in this country for years.

However,the Govt being the Govt have opted instead for a taxpayer-funded,lifetime maintanance programme using methadone.

As some chemists and a lot of doctors make thier bread and butter through this programme you can just hear the vested interests at work once again.

This is probably the most idiotic thing i have ever heard.

So you think that pharmacies want to stop people from getting off methadone because they make so much out of it? That they don't want to stop the hold ups, threats, putting off other customers, stealing and the hassle of making up to 40 doses a day in some places? Not to mention all the paperwork required with controlled drugs like methadone.

I suppose you were one of the ones screaming out a few years ago when the pharmacies went on strike and refused to dispense any methadone? Trust me, it's not worth the hassle for the ****ty remuneration you get.

As for your magic wonder-drug:

"The most-studied therapeutic effect of ibogaine is the reduction or elimination of addiction to opioids[12]. An integral effect is the alleviation of symptoms of opioid withdrawal. Research also suggests that ibogaine may be useful in treating dependence on other substances such as alcohol, methamphetamine, and nicotine and may affect compulsive behavioral patterns not involving substance abuse or chemical dependence. However, researchers note that there remains a "need for systematic investigation in a conventional clinical research setting"

so it helps with the withdrawl symptoms, you still have to want to give up drugs. And as you pointed out, many of them dont.

also;

"There are 12 documented fatalities that have been loosely associated with ibogaine ingestion".

Prob just easier to line them up against a wall eh? But then what would the pharmacist's do with no-one to hold a syringe to their throats???

• Advertisement

nua domhan wrote: »
    This is probably the most idiotic thing i have ever heard.

So you think that pharmacies want to stop people from getting off methadone because they make so much out of it? That they don't want to stop the hold ups, threats, putting off other customers, stealing and the hassle of making up to 40 doses a day in some places? Not to mention all the paperwork required with controlled drugs like methadone.

I suppose you were one of the ones screaming out a few years ago when the pharmacies went on strike and refused to dispense any methadone? Trust me, it's not worth the hassle for the ****ty remuneration you get.

Well then stop selling the shiit...its like a sweetshop complaining that they get kids showing up.

Seriously,if its such a hassle,refuse to stock it..stick to selling cold and flu remedies,overpriced vitamins and Fisherman's Friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭nua domhan

Well then stop selling the shiit...its like a sweetshop complaining that they get kids showing up.

Seriously,if its such a hassle,refuse to stock it..stick to selling cold and flu remedies,overpriced vitamins and Fisherman's Friend.

Sounds like someone didn't stay in college and is a bit pissed off at their current job.

I know alot of pharmacies that don't stock it, I know some starting out that will take as little revenue as they can to pay the bills. What you should be looking at is the treatment programmes and how Clinic's are happy to 'Park' people on methadone.

I have seen people reduce their dose every few weeks and come off it, needs to start from the patient wanting it and the clinic encouraging it though.

Ps - it's not "selling" - you think the remuneration is directly related to the amount of methadone you get? A pharmacy gets the same if someone gets 20 bottles a week, as someone who gets 1. They're paid by patient dispensed and observed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

There is no hit or euphoria from methadone,it reduces cravings.

mattjack wrote: »

There is no hit or euphoria from methadone,it reduces cravings.

It prevents withdrawals but doesn't reduce cravings. In high enough doses it stops opiates from producing any effects.

It is actually much more addictive than heroin and is harder to get off which makes you wonder why it is used at all.

It prevents withdrawals but doesn't reduce cravings. In high enough doses it stops opiates from producing any effects.

It is actually much more addictive than heroin and is harder to get off which makes you wonder why it is used at all.

Everything I was taught suggests methadone reduces cravings.

Everything I was taught suggests methadone reduces cravings.

Believe me it doesn't. Like I said it prevents withdrawals. Anything else is up to the users willpower and desire to stop using which, unfortunately, most don't have.

Can you show me where I can get some info. on that ?
    I hope to do a Dip. in UCD next year, all info is greatly appreciated.

Can you show me where I can get some info. on that ?
    I hope to do a Dip. in UCD next year, all info is greatly appreciated.

Speaking from experience man tbh. Not something I like to admit but thankfully over it today. It is just one day at a time tho.

It's also the experience of a lot of people I know. Not sure how it's perceived academically so can only speak about my own experience.

Speaking from experience man tbh. Not something I like to admit but thankfully over it today. It bus one day at a time tho.

It's also the experience of a lot of people I know. Not sure how it's perceived academically so can only speak about my own experience.

Whats the longest you've heard of somebody being on methadone?

Just curious like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Think i read that Sean Ryder was on it for over 15 years

• Advertisement

From what i've heard its considerably more toxic than heroin and the withdrawals can be life threatening..open to correction on that.

Speaking from experience man tbh. Not something I like to admit but thankfully over it today. It bus one day at a time tho.

SteoL, you have my complete respect man :)

Whats the longest you've heard of somebody being on methadone?

Just curious like.

Know of somebody who is on it close to 30 years now. He accepts he's on it for life. Sadly that is an option for some people. I wanted off it ASAP so once you stabilize on it they gradually taper your dose by a small amount once a week or every few days until your off it completely.

From what i've heard its considerably more toxic than heroin and the withdrawals can be life threatening..open to correction on that.

You are correct. Took a hospital visit for me to go through a supervised detox.

Even worse again in terms of dangerous withdrawals is benzodiazepam. For a prescription drug it is dangerous. Benzo fits are both frightening and potentially fatal.

Just wanted to clear a few misconceptions up. My own battles are not something I generally put on a discussion board.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

SteoL, utmost respect for what you have been through and come out the other side. Thank you for posting here about your experiences.

If I can ask a question, do you think Methadone programs are worthwhile or would the Govt be better funding drug counsellors and 12 step style abstinence programmes? Your day at a time comment obviously resonated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Even worse again in terms of dangerous withdrawals is benzodiazepam. For a prescription drug it is dangerous. Benzo fits are both frightening and potentially fatal.

From what I can read on various message boards, doctors everywhere (except mine!) prescribe a ridiculously high dose of benzos to people. It's no wonder people get hooked. I got the lowest dose and if I take much more I'm pretty much knocked out. People taking 1mg of Xanax a few times a day is just insanity.

From what I can read on various message boards, doctors everywhere (except mine!) prescribe a ridiculously high dose of benzos to people. It's no wonder people get hooked. I got the lowest dose and if I take much more I'm pretty much knocked out. People taking 1mg of Xanax a few times a day is just insanity.

I've heard people talking about taking 20+ valium yellows...they're supposed to be a bastard to get off as well and that sort of dose cant be good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I've heard people talking about taking 20+ valium yellows...they're supposed to be a bastard to get off as well and that sort of dose cant be good for you.

Ah so that's what the yellow ones are, Saw a guy dealing them out the other day here.

Yellows are 5mg Valium and blueies are 10mg Valium aka benzodiazepam.

MadSL: methadone would be fine if used properly. By that I mean it should be used short term and gradually stopped and should only be used if the addict agrees to counselling or psychotherapy. It should not be used as a lifetime solution to addiction. There are other more effective ways to treat addiction which IMO should be considered before the addict agrees to commit to a methadone maintenance program.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

How could you even stay awake?? I have a decent constitution and 1mg of Xanax will put me horizontal! Whoever starts people on these big doses is a crook.

Advertisement