Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Drug Dealing.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Been here four years and I have never seen any open drug dealing.

It's crazy that the guards do nothing to prevent this.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

Certainly, the thing that pisses me off the most, and by a large margin, since I have been here in Dublin, is the relative amount of junkies, zombies, nasties of all kind, walking deads and all sort of infrahumans that wander around the city center, O'Connell, Parnell, the Liffey, Tara St., Talbot, Busarás, etc. It is simply unbelievable that such a tourist area as that is can be so full of nasty, dangerous , unhealthy and intimidating specimens. And it's not that where I come from (Madrid, Spain), hasn't had, or still has, drug problems. But the last time I saw that amount of drugged wanderers and remotely similar levels of open drug dealing was back in the eighties, were there was a huge heroin epidemic all over the city.

But even then the most touristic spots were nowhere near as inhabitable or packed with wierdos as Dublin is today. We "solved" the problem mainly by letting drugs do their job: addicts mostly died out of overdoses, out of drug-related crimes, or due to illnesses related to drugs (typically AIDS). Currently, there are very few heroin addicts in the wild in the normal residential areas, and in the most visited spots, there is drug dealing, and there is some blatant prostitution as well, but it takes some dedicated effort to bump into a really "busy" drug market, and here in Dublin it looks likes the city wide supermarket of drugs.

Although I believe the situation is worse to the eye than it is in reality, or at least my daily observations make me think there is not a huge number of addicts around, because every day I come into some of them I can easily recognize most of them. How many addicts can there be wandering around D1 and whereabouts? A hundred at most? A thousand? This in my opinion is a problem in the "manageable" range of affairs.

For sure, you have to fight high profile drug dealers and "wholesalers" (or be brave enough to legalize drugs and blow the dealers business, after a thorough campaign informing about the severe dangers of drugs, all of them, just in case some youngster is still too stupid to believe drugs are cool). But that said, nobody with any kind of political responsibility should be looking elsewhere while dozens of ugly, aggressive, insane, unhealthy and potentially dangerous half humans put a red face on what could be one of the nicest tourist places in Europe. And of course, neither individuals nor companies should have to be worried of open drug dealing and usage, specially in the city center, where it is easier to enforce the law, compared to more disperse areas that suffer from urban sprawl.

It looks kind of curious that, at the same time politicians and some citizens vow to forbid smoking at open public places, like in St. Stephen's Green, because "it teaches bad things to children", at the same time those citizen groups and politicians don't f***ing care about hard drug abuse, dealing and related crimes, happening next door. Hypocrites, anyone?

Oh, and having had heroin addicts in my own family, I know for sure when was the best time during that relative addition: when he died. I know this may sound way beyond the limits, but I feel people with such long term addictions can't simply quit no matter how hard you try (because at this point they can't no longer "try"), and there is only two options, either their are put to a place where they can be a danger to the society, or they are "decommissioned", "dismissed" or however you may call it. Seriously, the vast damage a brain experiences after years or heroin or other hard drug abuse is beyond belief, you can expect to treat them like normal people, the no longer are normal, or behave normal. A grandson will happily beat his grandma to death is she stand between the addict and the money for the next dose.

I can't believe someone can be fined for throwing a paper to the ground (which I agree), and at the same time dangerous and disturbing ghosts can be left screwing local business, people, tourist and whatnot. We should rent a couple of vans and take some dozens of them directly to the city council members nice and picturesque residential areas in the Dublin suburbs, so they know what is it like to live sorrounded by them.

What a rant, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Degsy wrote: »
    I've heard people talking about taking 20+ valium yellows...they're supposed to be a bastard to get off as well and that sort of dose cant be good for you.

How could you even stay awake?? I have a decent constitution and 1mg of Xanax will put me horizontal! Whoever starts people on these big doses is a crook.

This dose wouldn't be prescribed. They are bought on the streets. If a dr does prescribe them for a month the addict would simply take the full months supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Janey_Mac

I live not far from Sherrard Street, Dorset Street, North Circular Road, and there are plenty of zombies around and drug deals to be passed regularly on the way home from work.

The only times it bothered me any more than passing litter on the ground would bother me were passing an argument between a man and a woman (which seemed to be about someone having spent money that shouldn't have been spent) outside an off-license that looked like it was going to get violent any second, and the day my housemates and I remember as Junkie Halloween, when the doorbell rang and I answered it to a zombie in a tracksuit who mumbled incoherently at me until I said "No. Now go on." and pointed at the garden gate (which was only about six foot behind him but he probably needed the assistance.)

All of us in the house are lucky in that we're young and healthy and not likely to be intimidated by the carry on around, but if I was old and frail I would be quite frightened, I think. And I am getting the hell away from the north inner city before I have kids. Pity, because there are aspects of the area I really love.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Janey_Mac wrote: »
    I live not far from Sherrard Street, Dorset Street, North Circular Road, and there are plenty of zombies around and drug deals to be passed regularly on the way home from work.

The only times it bothered me any more than passing litter on the ground would bother me were passing an argument between a man and a woman (which seemed to be about someone having spent money that shouldn't have been spent) outside an off-license that looked like it was going to get violent any second, and the day my housemates and I remember as Junkie Halloween, when the doorbell rang and I answered it to a zombie in a tracksuit who mumbled incoherently at me until I said "No. Now go on." and pointed at the garden gate (which was only about six foot behind him but he probably needed the assistance.)

All of us in the house are lucky in that we're young and healthy and not likely to be intimidated by the carry on around, but if I was old and frail I would be quite frightened, I think. And I am getting the hell away from the north inner city before I have kids. Pity, because there are aspects of the area I really love.

I know that feeling, am passing this area on the way home from work myself.
    It was suggested to me to report any incident to the Gardai, maybe that might work, if more and more people do so?

• Advertisement

Janey_Mac wrote: »

Move to the south inner so, that sort of shit doesn't go on there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Janey_Mac

SteoL wrote: »
    Move to the south inner so, that sort of shit doesn't go on there :rolleyes:

Ha! Excellent point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I hadn't been on Marlborough Street in years, walked down there from the quays a few weeks ago, don't think I'll be doing it again. Serious level of scum on the streets down there.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I hadn't been on Marlborough Street in years, walked down there from the quays a few weeks ago, don't think I'll be doing it again. Serious level of scum on the streets down there.

And it's a lot quiter than it used to be since they installed CVTV camera on every from Cathal Brugha street to Abbet street. I certainly find less addicts there.

Night night all ;)

Advertisement