Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Elder Scrolls Online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Im out! Back to morrowind for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Kiith wrote: »
    Wow, this looks pretty awful.

http://vimeo.com/64004925

Is that ToS, or Dark Messiah: Might & Magic? :P It just doesn't look very ToS to me, and I would imagine it doesn't play like it either.

Cant say that I am all that excited by ToS Online. Ill probably try it, but the 'meh' factor seems to be kicking in at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Didnt think much of the person playing tbh, he/she seemed more interested in the emotes than actual gameplay, or even lore.

any idea what kind of hardware s/he was using? Framerate did look low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

It's an early beta. I will reserve judgement until the game has had more time to mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon but I really think this looks like a load of crap. Ever since I first played Oblivion I wondered what an online version would be like, but it's a game that shouldn't have that facet. I suppose they're intended to be deeply personal games, where the things that happen are for you and you alone, and I think that the gameplay video makes it looks like an Elder Scrolls branded game I wouldn't want to play, ever.

It's a shame!
    Is that ToS, or Dark Messiah: Might & Magic? :P It just doesn't look very ToS to me, and I would imagine it doesn't play like it either.

Cant say that I am all that excited by ToS Online. Ill probably try it, but the 'meh' factor seems to be kicking in at this stage.

I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think an ability to "group" in the existing games would be fun, but I don't want to play an MMO - I want to play multi-player Skyrim or Morrowind (Oblivion was pretty poor because of that adjusted levelling thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

If ESO was played as a smaller multi-player game, I'd be all over it.

If it could be played as a small group, it'd be great to play and enjoy, but I've gone well past my enjoyment of PvE and PvP in MMO's and really don't have the time nor patience for the often shíte and whiny communities they develop.

If I wanted to play with overly angry, rage-filled gamers I'd go back to playing WoW.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I got *very* excited about SWTOR. The reason being it was Star Wars. I love Star Wars. I went and spent silly money on the super duper edition with the Darth Malgus statue and everything. I was even given a day to play it when it was in alpha thanks to Boards' advertising deal with EA. I was totally hyped :)

After getting stuck in post release (a release which wasn't entirely without problems, so expect the same for this), I was really enjoying it. Then it became a big old grind. The rate of progression started slowing down. Following on from that, it started to get very bogged down with "buttons." I now had three large toolbars full of icons that did stuff that I didn't really understand and that I wasn't all that arsed investing hours of my life into learning. It became an MMO. The biggest issues as I saw them were that there were 2 main camps of players and Bioware couldn't decide who was most important. The first camp were the people like me - fans of RPGs who were probably KOTOR players and were looking for KOTOR 3 (a description which the then heads of Bioware tell me personally that this was). The second camp were serious MMO players who drifted over from WoW and who didn't really care about anything other than powering through as quickly as possible to get to end-game raid stuff - I don't even really know what this is as I never got there and was playing for the story.

Camp 2 shouted a lot and that's cool, they're power players of that sort of "genre" and are the people who have been long term subscribers to WoW and so are ideally the people who are going to pay to keep the game going. Camp 2 left the game very quickly when it became clear to them that the game didn't have the depth of end game content that they were expecting having been spoiled by WoW in a sense (cause it's had years to develop masses of this sort of thing).

So where is SWTOR now? I'm looking at a banner ad beside this text box telling me I can play for free. I regularly get emails from them asking me to come back and play. They tried to "out WoW WoW" and failed spectacularly at it. I don't know why they didn't just make an RPG - they're really good at that, Bioware was a name that synonymous with excellent story telling and game play. There was such a vast opportunity lost to make something mind blowing, but instead they put a Star Wars skin on WoW and wondered why it didn't work.

So my point (finally!) is that Bethesda/Zenimax need to be very careful. Sticking an Elder Scrolls skin on WoW is doomed to failure. Star Wars is much, much bigger than TES and that couldn't beat WoW and being WoW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

If people have labelled this a wow killer, then it will flop. That label is a jinx.

The only thing that can kill wow is blizzard. I have no hopes for this. I'm surprised everyone is still throwing their hand in for the mmo market since so many big names have failed.

People forget that while blizzard make great games they are always lucky to be in the right place at the right time for them to grow e.g. StarCraft, WoW

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Shiminay wrote: »
    Camp 2 left the game very quickly when it became clear to them that the game didn't have the depth of end game content that they were expecting having been spoiled by WoW in a sense (cause it's had years to develop masses of this sort of thing).
    Sorry but I've heard that argument so many times and it's so wrong. When WoW came out EverQuest had something silly like 10 expansions already and had a decade of content yet the subscription for EQ halved in six months.

What WoW did was to release a very good game that was complete with a good story playable on a lot of PCs. Not everyone agreed with the cartoon style or bothered with the story but things worked, quests where there and it was polished all the way through and not only the first 30 levels. It does not really matter what game is released but if they don't put out that level of detail (and ensure it's polished all the way to the top level instead of a "we'll fix that in the first patch" attitude) it will fail, it's really simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The only MMO I've ever liked is Planteside 2. If this really is just going to be a WoW clone with an Elder Scrolls skin then I'm out. I hope it isn't though, because the thought of multiplayer RPG exploring the ES world with a group of friends would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Just got mailed a beta key for a stress test weekend this weekend, anybody else get one?

Think ill give it a go and see if its something id like to buy, weird as I only went back to skyrim week after taking a break for awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah just got one, I wasn't thinking about buying this game as even though I love the ES games I am just not into MMO's
    any idea what 6pm est is is over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Yeah got one too. 6pm est is 11pm

mate got one, i didnt :/ YET! ffs..

/waits

Good stuff,love the elder scrolls series but not sure I like the idea of it turning into an MMO.

Id really like it to be good though, the lore is fantastic in the elder scrolls imo and im a sucker for the fantasy genre

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I got one too. Does this give us full beta access or just this stress test?

afaik it's just the weekend for stress testing

Ye its only the weekend according to the email, gonna hold onto the client though after the weekend in the hope they open up the beta closer to release.

Thats if I like it of course, if not I reckon id happily play skyrim for next year or two

Downloading the beta client for this now,21GB file

Getting 1.80Mb download on a 100Mb UPC connection,not a good start....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I got a beta key I'm not going to use if anyone wants it.

I still haven't got one, so if it's still up for grabs pm it to me would ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Anyone wants a key, PM me. I have one key and zero interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I got my key the other day as well, looking forward giving it a go. I never buy games at release as I can't afford to pay full price normally so this will be a nice free trial!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Also have a key but the test would be over by the time its downloaded(thanks eircom) so if anyone wants it pm me

EDIT: key is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Set up my Beta account and will try get a game in of it during the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Turns out I'm off work tomorrow, so looks like I'll get a few hours of play time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

What time tonight is Beta due to start???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

11pm I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Yeah, 11PM. I could study for my very important exams.

But Elder Scrolls.

Advertisement