Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Elder Scrolls Online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

Given the art direction, it has the ES vibe. At this stage combat is poor. Using a bow, once you aim in the general vicinity of your target, as in a couple of body widths, you hit it. I acknowledge it's an MMO but it really removes the feeling of any skill. If the combat system was more like Darkfall it would be a massive improvement. Hopefully this is something they can work on.

Otherwise it just feels like any MMO with an Elder Scrolls skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I think we should all meet up in a field, build a village and start an elder scrolls for reals society and pay 15 a month towards the up keep of the badly built cardboard box town.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Have ye got full use of the map?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am a bit shocked that people still expected something from this game. Its MMorpg and it will never live up to what Elder Scrolls games were supposed to be. It is not even made by Bethesda themselves too.
    MMorpg limits it self in everything due to balance. It has to have static world with zero exploration in it. the only game that managed to do some sort of decent SP experience with mmorpg vibe was SWTOR, but even then MMORPG aspect was holding it back, not benefiting it.

Like I have mentioned before: Some games meant to be SP and Some games meant to MP. Some games should never ever be MP or SP games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I am a bit shocked that people still expected something from this game. Its MMorpg and it will never live up to what Elder Scrolls games were supposed to be. It is not even made by Bethesda themselves too.
    MMorpg limits it self in everything due to balance. It has to have static world with zero exploration in it. the only game that managed to do some sort of decent SP experience with mmorpg vibe was SWTOR, but even then MMORPG aspect was holding it back, not benefiting it.

Like I have mentioned before: Some games meant to be SP and Some games meant to MP. Some games should never ever be MP or SP games.

Its the same as the elder scrolls has ever been. The only difference in my eyes is the people running around. The missions are the same, combats the same and the world is huge and full of stuff to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Disappointing is the only word I can use to descirbe my experience of this game over the weekend, the game its self seems like a fairly run of the mill mmo,just re skinned with elder scrolls artwork.
    The thing I couldnt get out of my head was id have to pay upfront for the game then a subscription fee to continue playing, what are they thinking?!?
    Thought it looked very nice and polished, graphics look good but nothing recolutionary.
    Ran well for a beta but one thing I did notice was it doesnt support crossfire, only using one card in a crossfire setup, skyrim was the same!
    Buy Guild Wars 2 for half the price and no subscription fee if you want an MMO

But to be honest I love the elder scrolls so if it were a one off payment at the start id probably try picking it up in a sale, just cant justify paying a sub in this day and age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

EoinHef wrote: »
    The thing I couldnt get out of my head was id have to pay upfront for the game then a subscription fee to continue playing, what are they thinking?!?
    Thought it looked very nice and polished, graphics look good but nothing recolutionary.

Don't forget the cash shop!

Seems when they were deciding which payment model to use they went for "C: All of the above"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

One Q from my experience...

Is it all a set of small maps?
    No big massive open may like Skyrim?

I agree with you to a point there but surely theres a way to make the experience a multiplayer one while still keeping the feel of the likes of Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim.

And when i say multiplayer i dont mean the like of 100 players running round a map like an MMO,why couldnt they implement something like Co-Op which would be less intrusive,1-4 players with jump in jump out,invite only etc ie borderlands. Could show off all your gear,houses,get a hand with certain areas/bosses etc but with a small player count

I really like the idea of an multiplayer elderscrolls,just think they went the wrong way with this one unfortunately,which i think is a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Bethesda have nothing to do with this thankfully!

ESO is being developed by Zenimax Online Studios which is a subsidiary of Zenimax Media Inc formed solely to develop ESO. Bethesda Game Studios has nothing to do with this disaster and they should hopefully be working away on another great single player game:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZeniMax_Online_Studios

Bethesda is a subsidiary company of Zenimax Media. It would be foolish to think that Bethesda have no input into this project whatsoever. I would suspect they have Bethesda consulting on the project or even some staff members working in Zenimax Online Studios.
    EoinHef wrote: »
    The thing I couldn't get out of my head was id have to pay upfront for the game then a subscription fee to continue playing, what are they thinking?!?
    Thought it looked very nice and polished, graphics look good but nothing revolutionary.

They wanted to follow the older subscription model that many MMO's previously have followed. The whole Free To Play thing is only a very new model. My only issue with ESO subscription model below as someone mentioned....
    Don't forget the cash shop!

Seems when they were deciding which payment model to use they went for "C: All of the above"

I think if you do pay subscription then you shouldn't have to pay additional charges. A no brainer really!
    Is it all a set of small maps?
    No big massive open may like Skyrim?

Overall, the game world will be bigger than Skyrim as it covers all of Tamriel. But I suspect that you won't be freely able to enter each country/area without loading. That would just be impossible to have a seamless world without borders that required loading. Morrowind, while more open world than Oblivion and Skryim, had to pause momentarily at times to load exterior cells.

My thoughts on the Beta over the weekend:
    - Looked a little different than I expected, not in a bad way. It the UI felt very Skyrim but that's personal taste. The prolonged loading of textures was a pain however.
    - I wouldn't necessarily call this any other MMO clone with an Elder Scrolls skin. I found it broke away from the norm that was WoW and felt more old school feel to it like Meridian 59.
    - Did not like the setup in regards classes. It felt very much like the class you chose defined your character for it's playthrough. This is a contrast of of the open character development that the Elder Scrolls are known for.
    - Dialogue felt very bland, it feel too much into MMO territory in that regards and didn't hold me as much. Anytime I talked to someone I most times just wanted to skip over it.

Also it being Beta, they do alot of the tweaks etc later on prior to release so it will most likely look alot better at release.

I don't know if I would buy this and pay the subscription. I would have to see at release. It did however give me a very old school MMO feel to it so that was a good thing for myself to keep in mind later.

• Advertisement

They should have made a movie not a game!

ESO Arrival Cinematic

If i bought games because of trailers this would be top of my list:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

So who had doubts that this was not a petty cash grab with the goal of going free to play?

They have locked an entire race(The Imperials) behind a pre order paywall, But not just a standard pre order! Nope you must buy the collectors edition for €80 or you do not have full access to the game.

https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

€55 and then €13 per month?

Are they completely nuts? I am guessing this will be F2P within a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

This whole "pay to play" bull**** road EA et al have been bringing us down of late better end soon...otherwise I'd hope for a backlash on par with microsoft's Xbox one release

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Havent been keeping up with this but saw the cinematic and popped in here to see general consensus. Pay for the game, Pay to win. Pay again to have full access. Pay Monthly subscription.
    3204840swsw.gif

I agree with above poster. The gaming industry needs a massive backlash/reformation RE: how consumers are increasingly treated as a mahoosive cash cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'd no interest in this to begin with and seeing all this pre-order and subscription nonsense i have even less. I can see this game failing. And it's worse knowing they could have put all that work into making TES 6.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

They have some neck considering the beta was slated by the vast majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I don't think any game is worth a subscription to play, and you certainly shouldn't have to buy the game on top of it. Having said that, this is a quality game, feels much more like a true sequel to Skyrim than an MMO. I'll be paying for a few months for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

This is never going to go over well with console players especially xbox ones who have to pay for a live sub before they can even access muultiplayer, even if they allowed none gold members to play it most still have gold, asking for players to pay for a full price game and then a monthly sub is alien to most console players who have never played a PC MMO. They are used to buying a game and paying for additional content later , not paying for the game and then paying again to access the base game from the start.

Would I be right in thinking console players also move on faster then their PC counterparts? I have no evidence to base that one on , just more an observation of players on my friends list, most will play , finish and move on to the next game. The odd few will go back and play the likes of COD and FIFA for a while now and a again but those are not the same in terms of time investment and gain/reward as most MMO titles.

All that said this is newish ground so maybe players will embrace it, I'll have to wait and see.

Having said that, this is a quality game

From what i can see your in the minority thinking its a quality game but hey thats your opinion :)
    I thought the beta was poor, i played the Wildstar beta since then and its 10X better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

I haven't had an opportunity to play the beta yet, but from what a lot of people are saying, it's not very good, I hear that comment primarily around the combat.
    I personally would be wary of basing my reviews around a game that's still in closed beta, sure it's release date is a few months away, but we don't know if certain aspects are being disabled for each beta so the devs can focus on other things.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, I just think it's a shame so many people are dismissing the game after trying a beta version...that said, those are people who've actually played the game, so probably know more than me :D

@calex: yeah, the required xbox live sub on top of the regular sub price is going to be a kicker.

Edit: I forgot to mention, regardless of playing the game, I think having a cash shop in a game with a monthly subscription is just money-hungry.

Dcully wrote: »
    From what i can see your in the minority thinking its a quality game but hey thats your opinion :)
    I thought the beta was poor, i played the Wildstar beta since then and its 10X better.

Just out of curiosity, did you enjoy Skyrim?

Just out of curiosity, did you enjoy Skyrim?

Yes and No

Yes when i played ranged class and no when i played melee class, the combat for melee in skyrim is poor imo although some mods for it have improved it.
    The melee combat in ESO is also poor.

Id like to sample ESO again, to see if they have improved things,im not giving up on it just yet but the beta weekend i played i wasnt impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I can see this being a massive failure, at least on PC.. pretty sure its going to be competing with wildstar.. which from the looks of it is going to be incredible.

Maybe the huge console fanbase of skyrim will drag it along on those platforms tho.

Yeah there's not a whole lot difference that I could see with the combat, but for me it's not really an issue. The whole scale of it was very impressive. Just looking at the map and zooming out a few times was terrifying as to how huge the whole thing is going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you can get it here for ~€32 standard or ~€45 for Imperial edition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Magill wrote: »
    I can see this being a massive failure, at least on PC.. pretty sure its going to be competing with wildstar.. which from the looks of it is going to be incredible.

Maybe the huge console fanbase of skyrim will drag it along on those platforms tho.

if anything I'd say it has a bigger chance on pc then console
    people shouldn't have to pay two subscribtions to play a game online

far enough for ps you don't have too but lets face it, most people pay for ps+ so can't see them paying for this as well unless its really good

hope this aint the future of gaming for consoles to be honest... I enjoy mmo's but having to fork out for xbox live (which I don't mind) then paying for the game which no doubth will be 60e+ then 13 a month? no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

danthefan wrote: »
    €55 and then €13 per month?

Are they completely nuts? I am guessing this will be F2P within a year.

There are only 2 companies that really getting away with monthly subs: Blizzard and CPP. I like CCP plan a lot more.

If you want to start EVE online, then you try 14 day trial and then sub. For first time you will get a very good 3 month subscription as you are a new player. Thats it, you get all the content and all expansions for free. You only pay for Subscription.
    To make it even better, if you are good at game, you can pay your subscription with in game cash. I was able easily able to pay for another 3 months with in game cash after my first 3 months expired.

I dont mind subscription models like in EVE, War Thunder, World of Tanks. you dont need to shovel off 60eu for a game just to start playing and then being charged monthly fee after. You try game ( or just play as much as you want in WoT or WT case ) and if you like it you just pay sub. Thats it.

This 60eu+monthly after needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I honestly prefer a subscription model on MMO's tbh... I like when everyone starts off with the same **** and the only way to get items, currency etc is playing the actual game. As long as they keep the content flowing and constantly release new "Tier" dungeons then yeah... Subscription is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

There are only 2 companies that really getting away with monthly subs: Blizzard and CPP. I like CCP plan a lot more.

If you want to start EVE online, then you try 14 day trial and then sub. For first time you will get a very good 3 month subscription as you are a new player. Thats it, you get all the content and all expansions for free. You only pay for Subscription.
    To make it even better, if you are good at game, you can pay your subscription with in game cash. I was able easily able to pay for another 3 months with in game cash after my first 3 months expired.

I dont mind subscription models like in EVE, War Thunder, World of Tanks. you dont need to shovel off 60eu for a game just to start playing and then being charged monthly fee after. You try game ( or just play as much as you want in WoT or WT case ) and if you like it you just pay sub. Thats it.

This 60eu+monthly after needs to go.

I think there's been deals on Steam where you got EVE and the free trial period for €5. A lot way from €55.

Advertisement