Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can being pregnant affect her chances??

Options
  • 03-05-2012 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi a friend of mine started a new job two mths ago in an i.t company. she loves it and waited over two yrs to get a job. however she has found out she is pregnant. 6wks gone. and is afraid of what will happen. she is afraid she will be let go after her 6mth probationary period with a lame excuse when really its because shes pregnant.I know this so illegal etc but she may hav a point . even though her and the bany r most important it is a worry. any ideas? or similar situations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Honestly? Yes.

It's not fair, legal or moral, but I have worked for companies which actively 'managed' pregnant women out of key roles and have heard anecdotally cases of workplaces not renewing contracts etc. Cases have been taken on this (and women have won compensation) but as unfair as it is, some companies just don't want the hassle of dealing with a pregnant woman, giving time off for appointments, dealing with maternity leave etc. It's usually very difficult to prove pregnancy was why a contract wasn't renewed especially in today's climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

She can bring a case under unfair dismissal regardless of her tenure
    http://www.citizensinformationboard.ie/publications/providers/downloads/employment_rights_10.pdf

She is entitled to leave for maternity leave BUT they dont have to pay her a penny, she can get social welfare

So they may be sound about it and let that happen, get cover for the maternity leave and take her back afterwards? I guess it depends on how skilled a job it is and how nice the company are about these things..

I would definitely tell them sooner than later.

Obvious disclaimer: I'm not a solicitor nor do I pretend to be, if you want legal advice, hire one.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Could she ask for a 3 month mini-appraisal, even an informal one? If it were me I would. On one hand management sees that she is aiming to progress and correct any issues they may have, and give valuable feedback, and it also strengthens her case at a later date if she has taken on board and improved any areas that management suggested. It looks very favourable.

She might be able to hide the pregnancy long enough though to the 6 month stage. - if she is 6 weeks gone and 2 months in the job, her probationary is in 4 months time, if she pushes for one at exactly 6 months she can disclose it shortly afterwards. A good appraisal at that time olus the earlier feedback on her performance would strengthen her stance if they tried after that to manage her out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

keep quiet until she starts showing maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

I've replied on your other thread on the work and jobs board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

i would hide it / delay telling them till after the appraisel

Advertisement