Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horses (opinions wanted on TV programme)

• 03-05-2012 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I was watching a cooking programme earlier today and there was a scene in which a horse was used for "heavy lifting". Basically dragging felled trees to a stacking site. It all started very nicely, I was thinking how great is is to use an animal like that to stop the destruction of land by heavy machinery. But it goes on to look very very uncomfortable and dangerous.

There is no doubt that the owner cares about and is immensely proud of her horse which was so nice to see. I know nothing about horses so he could be one of the happiest horses in the world. I can't read their body language nor do I know the signs of distress in a horse.

I was hoping a horsey person have a look and tell me what they think. It starts at 15.30, ends at 18.30. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeAR8rE5Vnk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

You may get more replies if its shipped to the equestrian forum.

Nothing is without risk, horses can injure themselves in stable and field. The horse is grand (could do with loosing a bit of weight), he is doing what he is bred to do which to pull.

I wouldn't be giving him carrots as part of his healthy breakfast, far too much sugar in them for equine particulary the heavier ones who are prone to obesity as they have evolved to do well on little.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

I didn't see any problem with the horse.
    The hesitation you see is completely normal and he did not show any fear.

As doctor evil said, they are using the correct breed and he does appear happy and well fed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

His ears aren't pinned, his equipment is good, he looks comfortable with the task he's been given, plenty of head room, time to figure out his footing. He looks steady and confident.
    I wouldn't even say he was carrying too much weight, I don't know his exact breed, but I'd say there's more than a touch of shire there, as opposed to Clydesdale or Suffolk punch. To me he look like a happy horse with a job he's well suited to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Didn't see any Shire myself, I was thinking more Ardennes. He could do with firming up slightly. People are getting fatter and so are animals.

Slightly OT there is an interesting lecture on YT from a renowned vet guy about condition scoring. A fat horse can have a 'leaf' of internal fat in the abdomen, I think it was measured with ultrasound, the other more externals parts of how condition were measured were fine. It's been months since I watched it so may not very clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

He looked happy to me too, not that I'm a horse expert but had a bit of experience. I think we need AJ on the case :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I think we need AJ on the case :D

Been trying to watch it all evening, can't even get past the ads as my internet connection is completely abysmal atm :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks :) I was thinking that it was likely just an untrained eye (mine) looking at something. Particularly since the owner seemed so genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Have just managed to watch it, wouldn't have cost me a second thought tbh, he's well able for it but he would have an easier job of it if he was lugging around a bit less body fat. Neither of them look like they do too much of that uphill work on a regular basis!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

Whispered wrote: »
    I was watching a cooking programme earlier today and there was a scene in which a horse was used for "heavy lifting". Basically dragging felled trees to a stacking site. It all started very nicely, I was thinking how great is is to use an animal like that to stop the destruction of land by heavy machinery. But it goes on to look very very uncomfortable and dangerous.

There is no doubt that the owner cares about and is immensely proud of her horse which was so nice to see. I know nothing about horses so he could be one of the happiest horses in the world. I can't read their body language nor do I know the signs of distress in a horse.

I was hoping a horsey person have a look and tell me what they think. It starts at 15.30, ends at 18.30. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeAR8rE5Vnk

No problem these animals have been bred for this work of hundreds of years like our irish draft horses they are sooo strong they would plough right through you without batting an eyelid!! Still love them tho =]

Advertisement