Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

• 03-05-2012 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I have recently heard about this breed of dogs and think they sound like a great addition to the household. I have two terriers (a JRT and a terrier X) both of whom are rescued and slightly mad. I'd love a calm, medium sized dog to balance things out!

I wouldn't normally consider going the breeder route, but would love to get a pup for my son who is easily trainable and would be a good companion for him.

Does anyone know anything about these dogs and if there is anyone who breeds them in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Im not sure about availability in Ireland but from what ive heard they are still largely used for hunting rather than as pets. Well retrieving what somone has hunted, not actually killing. I would recon a good place to ask about this breed is over in the hunting forum! They are a beautiful dog though, keep us updated on your search :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

mirekb wrote: »
    I have recently heard about this breed of dogs and think they sound like a great addition to the household. I have two terriers (a JRT and a terrier X) both of whom are rescued and slightly mad. I'd love a calm, medium sized dog to balance things out!

QUOTE]

Just a question in relation to your two terrriers? Hope you dont mind. I too have two rescue terriers a JR and a border terrier type.

I was wondering do you leave your dogs off the lead in the countryside or anywhere.

We have semi trained ours to come back to us, but the border terrier is a demon....he will run off as you call him if he has a scent. He seems to only come back to us IF he wants to??

How did/did u train your terriers to come back when you call no matter what???

I know this isnt what you were posting about but we are sick of waitning up to half an hour at the end of a walk for IT to come back.

PS we have a third dog: a collie/lab cross, an older more settled dog ish, well she can be more like a pup than an 11 yr old! I would warn you three is a handful !!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

Im not sure about availability in Ireland but from what ive heard they are still largely used for hunting rather than as pets. Well retrieving what somone has hunted, not actually killing. I would recon a good place to ask about this breed is over in the hunting forum! They are a beautiful dog though, keep us updated on your search :)

Aren't they amazing!

Just a question in relation to your two terrriers? Hope you dont mind. I too have two rescue terriers a JR and a border terrier type.

I was wondering do you leave your dogs off the lead in the countryside or anywhere.

We have semi trained ours to come back to us, but the border terrier is a demon....he will run off as you call him if he has a scent. He seems to only come back to us IF he wants to??

How did/did u train your terriers to come back when you call no matter what???

I know this isnt what you were posting about but we are sick of waitning up to half an hour at the end of a walk for IT to come back.

PS we have a third dog: a collie/lab cross, an older more settled dog ish, well she can be more like a pup than an 11 yr old! I would warn you three is a handful !!

It took me over two years to house train my first (terrierX) and another year to get decent recall with her. I can pretty much trust her to come back on the beach, or in the fields, but would never let her off near a road as she is not to be trusted with traffic. I did it with a 10 metre training lead and lots and lots of sausages. I found that the first few times totally off lead she wouldn't recall, but would always follow me (circling around), so I would either trap her - or would act really bored and 'eat' her sausages.

The JRT is a different matter. I don't trust his recall at all in the fields as he is a hunter and will go after anything that takes his fancy and not come back. I let him off on the beach, but have to keep a close eye. I really feel for you, there's nothing worse than trying to catch your dog, but if you sit down and act casual they will come back in the end. Just practice in areas where there isn't much scent - but some dogs can never be recall trained.

Is it really different having three? I was hoping if I got a puppy this time I could train them up from the start to behave better!

Advertisement