Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company of Heroes 2

• 03-05-2012 6:27pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Sequel to the best game of 2006 and the best RTS ever made (my opinion) has been revealed in the latest edition of PC gamer.

Set on the Eastern front with the player playing as the Russians.
    Weather will play a factor, with snow providing cover as well as hindering mobility.
    Relic Games are once again at the helm.

Due for release in 2013.

I'm hype.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-03-company-of-heroes-2-revealed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

z6xVf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Really wished the had added the Russians and Japanese/Italians instead of that last expansion which was ok but i would have preferred playing with a new side rather than limiting the choice to Germans or some other Germans.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

These people won't be happy!
    http://www.easternfront.org/

It's absolutely brilliant news though - easily the best RTS game in modern times, it brought so many fresh ideas to the RTS table (ironically in one of the more overused game settings) and was just a blast to play.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Had a quick gander at the PC Gamer preview.

Single player campaign will be told through the eyes of a War Corrospodent reporting on battles and the failings of the communist ideology.

Looks like the single player campaign will start at the Battle of Stalingrad and end with the Battle of Berlin.

Core gameplay will remain very similar to COH 1. They ruled out significant changes like DOW 2 had from DOW 1, although they where considered.

Line of sight has been tweaked, you can only see what your troops can see, you can no longer see behind round buildings and walls just becase you had troops close to them.

Economy will work similar to COH 1. I.E territory control for resources.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fantastic news: why change a winning formula.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote:
    Really wished the had added the Russians and Japanese/Italians instead of that last expansion which was ok but i would have preferred playing with a new side rather than limiting the choice to Germans or some other Germans.

The orginal game was set in France in 1944, the Italians had surrendered by that stage. Further more the Italians had less effective weapons, equipment and tanks and less variety in them. Would of been difficult to make them a fully fleged faction with out making there actually weapons and tanks alot better than they where or giving them fictious weapons.

The Japanese where also drastically different. Firstly they would of looked out of place in COH's European setting. To recreate the type of war that was fought in the Pacific, they would have had to develop a tropical setting and implement jungle warfare. Naval warfare played a large roll in the war in the Pacific something that's not featured in the COH. Like the Italains the developers would have to take liberties with Japanese tanks and equipment if they wanted to a faction that could take on the allies.

I think for these reasons they stuck with the factions they did in COH:OF

Incidently the British where a terrible faction. PE where okay. Still peferred the 2 orginal factions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The servers are down for the first game now, spent a bit of time there trying.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

This is fantastic news,today is a good day,elder scrolls mmo and now coh2 :D

Azza wrote: »
    [...]
    I think for these reasons they stuck with the factions they did in COH:OF

Incidently the British where a terrible faction. PE where okay. Still peferred the 2 orginal factions.

Naw, the PE were much worse imo than the British; being the ultimate turtle-faction with unbelievably slow units, the Brits were fairly limited & once you breached their lines I found them easy to dispose of. They were a fairly interesting take on the turtle mechanic

On the other hand, I lost count the number of times I got smacked by PE players rushing masses of upgraded infantry / tier 1 units. Very spammy faction in my view & felt against the tone of the series. Agree overall though yes, the first two factions were perfectly balanced.

Thinking about it though just makes me want to fire the game up again & enjoy some multilplayer round :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

did anyone else think CoH was brilliant but all the expansions were utter crap?

• Advertisement

I remember when Opposing Force first came out the PE trashed the Americans but the British beats both PE and Wehr.

Not sure what the state of balance is like now but the Brits had so much bullcrap, like a glider that crushed whole armies as it was landed on top of you, Commando's that did insane damage with a whole load of stupid abilites that made them impossible to supress. Alot of that should be fixed but they where still a horrible faction to play against.

Dreadfull sim city design to them, pretty much universally loathed when the game came out. Could just turtle up on high resource points and you couldn't push them off it because it had become there damn base.

Overall I didn't like the factions in COH:OF near as much as the orginal.

Tales of Valor was more a single player expansion and not a very good one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Excellent stuff . . . I am still playing CoH online from time to time - fantastic series.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The original is one awesome game with many awesome mods. We still have it on the top of our LAN games whenever we meet up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

*does a little dance*

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Even though I've always been terribad at CoH :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Relic? Make Homeworld 3 god dammit! Please!!

Happy with this news too though.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Kiith wrote: »
    Relic? Make Homeworld 3 god dammit! Please!!

Happy with this news too though.

I was about to say the same thing. Still, great news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

did anyone else think CoH was brilliant but all the expansions were utter crap?

yeeeeeeeeeep

loved the main game, one of the expansions wasn't too bad if I remember properly but the other 2 were awful

There was only 2.
    Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor.

OF was okay, but ToV wasn't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I wish they'd focused their efforts more on Dawn of War III but I'll be fine with this too, I liked Company of Heroes. Relic took a lot of cuts to their team though. Patches for Dawn of War II Retribution have stopped completely because the balance team was chopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I wish they'd focused their efforts more on Dawn of War III but I'll be fine with this too, I liked Company of Heroes. Relic took a lot of cuts to their team though. Patches for Dawn of War II Retribution have stopped completely because the balance team was chopped.

yeah that and their WH40K MMO was sh1tcanned too. Shame, would have given that a shot too :/

• Advertisement

I remember when Opposing Force first came out the PE trashed the Americans but the British beats both PE and Wehr.

Not sure what the state of balance is like now but the Brits had so much bullcrap, like a glider that crushed whole armies as it was landed on top of you, Commando's that did insane damage with a whole load of stupid abilites that made them impossible to supress. Alot of that should be fixed but they where still a horrible faction to play against.

Dreadfull sim city design to them, pretty much universally loathed when the game came out. Could just turtle up on high resource points and you couldn't push them off it because it had become there damn base.

Overall I didn't like the factions in COH:OF near as much as the orginal.

Tales of Valor was more a single player expansion and not a very good one.

From what I recall, I'm fairly sure they patched out the killer gliders think generally they were toned down. They were fairly high cost for that late stage in the game & didn't see them often once their glider's power was reduced.

Horrible to play against yes, games against them became wars of attrition, but more often than not a Brit would only have about 1/3 of the map (I don't think they had the manpower to keep all a map pegged down) & be trapped by any half-decent PE/German player (like me ;))

A Brit player only needed a third of the map as long as it contained one of the high resource points that allowed him to tech up which he could do cheaper than his opponent, and as it was his base, he could not be forced from it or cut off from it even for a small time. One third map control for the Brit was the same as another faction having 50%, they dominated multiplayer games for the first year or year and a half of Opposing Front's multiplayer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

are they still releasing patch for coh?

I don't think so, they did release a patch last year with major balance changes. Was in a beta for a long time before it was released.

Still they supported the game for 5 years, which is pretty good. Game got over a dozen patches.

Incidently for anyone who doesn't have the orginal game, its free with the latest edition of PC Gamer magazine.

Some more COH 2 news.
    Maps will be bigger to emphasize the scale of combat on the Eastern front.
    Dynamic fire. Can set fire to buildings which will eventually case them to collapse.

I don't think so, they did release a patch last year with major balance changes. Was in a beta for a long time before it was released.

Still they supported the game for 5 years, which is pretty good. Game got over a dozen patches.

Incidently for anyone who doesn't have the orginal game, its free with the latest edition of PC Gamer magazine.

Some more COH 2 news.
    Maps will be bigger to emphasize the scale of combat on the Eastern front.
    Dynamic fire. Can set fire to buildings which will eventually case them to collapse.

everytime they released a patch something else broke :D

Yeah the patches for CoH were notoriously inconsistent and while they usually fixed 3 things, they'd end up critically breaking one. Seem to remember the German armoured car becoming massively powerful in one patch.
    Azza wrote:
    A Brit player only needed a third of the map as long as it contained one of the high resource points that allowed him to tech up which he could do cheaper than his opponent, and as it was his base, he could not be forced from it or cut off from it even for a small time. One third map control for the Brit was the same as another faction having 50%, they dominated multiplayer games for the first year or year and a half of Opposing Front's multiplayer.

First year perhaps, but (and only going by memory and my own matchup stats) the Brits became a very unpopular faction to play as; if you kept them off fuel points and harassed their flanks, there was very little a Brit could do to get lost points back because by Tier 2/3, they had little to be aggressive with. Not disagreeing with you, but their wonkiness was a little overstated, probably due to their turtling nature; the natural kryptonite of any RTS'er :)

Offical annoucement coming this monday from Relic Games.

Some promo material
    coh2-may-7th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

What a great day!

Away for a dirty weekend with the wife, Cup final day! (c'mon da Blues)

And to top it all off i wake up to the news that the game i would have on a deserted island is getting a sequel!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Offical annoucement from THQ

http://www.thq.com/uk/company-of-heroes-2/go/article/view/homepage_article/257981/company_of_heroes®_2_announced

Not much new info about it but it will be the first game to run on the Essence 3.0 Engine (COH games where on Essence 1.0 and DOW 2 games where on Essence 2.0).

Out early 2013.

Here's some pics I found online.
    company-of-heroes-2-screenshot.jpg

vxnkrh.jpg

• Advertisement

The latest PC Gamer had an elaborate preview, that contains several screenshots, including the ones above. Worth having a look for.

Advertisement