Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company of Heroes 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Just so everyone knows, the original is now only £2 on steam this weekend or if you want the whole series its £8. Its a bloody steal!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

All 3 Company of Heroes games cost €4.99 on steam at the moment, great deal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow; unbelievable value - you can't argue at that price. I presume if it's still for sale that you can still login to the multiplayer hub?

On another note - whatever happened Company of Heroes: Online? That sunk spectacularly didn't it?

Azza wrote: »
    All 3 Company of Heroes games cost €4.99 on steam at the moment, great deal.

huh thats odd.

in the uk version its £5.39 for all of them.

weird situation where its actually cheaper in euros then sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    huh thats odd.

in the uk version its £5.39 for all of them.

weird situation where its actually cheaper in euros then sterling.

Already own them but Relics didn't do a good job with accounts/downloads but would still have the account problems.

Have time to think about it in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So I decided to have a go at multiplayer CoH1 for the first time in ... well, years really when I thought about it. Given all the talk of the sequel it seemed appropriate.

I quickly remembered why I both loved and hated the game. Still as great to play as ever, much more satisfying than SC2 is. Amazingly the problem with players intentionally dropping games still persists, I 'lost' a few games because of players doing that.

I played as the Brits & while overall they have balanced things, turtling as the Limeys is no longer a legitimate option; it just invites onto you the various upgrades & units that'll wreck your Sim City. PE's still as spammy as ever, but the Brit units are now faster. Fast cromwells is a sweet tactic :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The only beef I have with CoH 1 at the moment is that it can take an age to get into a game that actually starts! So many people hopping from game to lobby.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is the russian front mod still going?

Is the russian front mod still going?
    http://www.easternfront.org
    1.6 release; I've played around with it & it's very good - they completed the Russian side & were working on a new German faction when CoH2 was announced.
    Nothing's official on their site, but a quick glance at their forums suggests they'll keep working on the mod for now & decide what to do after CoH2 comes out.

A preview popped up on 'de internet:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/22/first-look-company-of-heroes-2/

It has a couple of new screens in it: it's fairly wordy & goes into detail about the atmopshere / SP campaign's aims, but some interesting points came out about the (new) gameplay mechanics; for instance there'll be proper line of sight this time, where even smoke and fallen trees will change & obscure your view.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

Sounds good, I am definitely looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kerryairsofter

Did any one see the interview were they said this game will be more focused on the infantry i hope its not going to take away from the tanks ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Did any one see the interview were they said this game will be more focused on the infantry i hope its not going to take away from the tanks ?

Where did you see that?

Where did you see that?

Gamereplays have a link to the vid somewhere on there page

So was CoH1; tanks were strategy/game changers, but 90% of your forces were squad & infantry based.
    I saw the interview anyway and I think what they meant was the SP campaign would focus on the personal stories of those who fought in the war, not that the gameplay would be more infantry focused than previously.

De-emphasizing tanks in game set during the most tank-centric threats of ww2 would be kind of daft anyway. Plus, hands-on previews from game journos have talked about the hot tank action going on, so it's all good.

pixelburp wrote: »
    So was CoH1; tanks were strategy/game changers, but 90% of your forces were squad & infantry based.
    I saw the interview anyway and I think what they meant was the SP campaign would focus on the personal stories of those who fought in the war, not that the gameplay would be more infantry focused than previously.

De-emphasizing tanks in game set during the most tank-centric threats of ww2 would be kind of daft anyway. Plus, hands-on previews from game journos have talked about the hot tank action going on, so it's all good.

Oh sweet thanks for the reassurance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Hopefully they don't go too OTT with the Russians as most games tend to do

Some more screenshots

coh21.jpg

coh22.jpg

And a teaser trailer that sets the stage. But alas no in game footage.

cool trailer,wish they'd give us a release date/recommended specs

The screenshots don't exactly look like a massive leap from the previous engine used in CoH1. I suspect if your machine runs the first without bother, it will for the second.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they look a hell of a lot more detailed
    although I guess they are zoomed in more

Textures seem more high-res yeah, but the geometry appears about the same; recall also some of first shots had zoomed in on the troops & they also about as complex as #1s. Not a criticism mind you, it's still a lush looking game & I just about got away with max-settings on my PC

Edit: Actually, looking at the new photos, the geometry does seem upped too

2 more just realised screenshots.

288405_439638129400519_422530692_o.jpg

457192_439638112733854_1970194382_o.jpg

Did they base that Russian soldier on Sean Connery from the hunt for the red october?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Hey guys came across this thread while searching boards.ie for anything related to Company of Heroes 2. Now that the embargo has been lifted, check out my first impression on this game as I got the opportunity to see exclusive gameplay and features at a THQ event earlier this week in Dublin.

EDIT: Shilling commercial website

Thanks all and hope this article gives you a little insight into how good this game is shaping up to be.

New game system in place known as Coldtech, which simulates the extreme weather on the Eastern front during the war, where temperatures dropped as low as -40 degrees.

Your units will gradually freeze to death unless they build fires or are garrisoned in buildings.

Snow will have depth and the depth will have effect on unit mobility. Snow is dynamic and will gradually fall on units and buildings and can be removed and melted, tracks and foot prints will remain visible unless they are snowed over again. Weather is dynamic.

Frozen lakes can be crossed but the ice can destroyed plunging units into the icy depths, overtime the destroyed ice will refreeze over if the weather is cold enough.

Blizzards will also be dynamic and during which you can not use any airborne abilities.

Wow, that sounds seriously impressive; it's rare enough any game - let alone a RTS - tries to use weather as a genuinely game-changing, dynamic element.

My only fear is that it'll be severely throttled in the multiplayer if hyper-players start bitching & whining about it. I want to hear more about how this fits into the multi game, particularly this idea of fire as mini control-points (which they surely would become)

I don't see it being an issue if it affects all players in multi-player equally.

this is gonna be awesome hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I still find myself playing CoH. Been playing it since beta.

You guys should try out the blitzkrieg & eastern front mods (eastern front in particular feels like an official expansion, and it has a single player campaign coming soon apparently!).

This has been my most anticipated sequel for a long, long time.

Advertisement