Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

docter optics

Options
  • 03-05-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

anyone know any dealer that have theses optics in stock, no nothing about them, are they good? cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

They are good alright, do some holosight aimpoint type thingies that are small enough to sit on a pistol. But are expensive,not as much as the usual suspects like S&B,Zeiss ,Swarovski etc, but are good glass from the reports I've seen on them.
    Dunno of anyone doing them in Ireland mind!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭underthetumb

John conroy outside portlaoise deals in them. I looked through some of his scopes, and the quality in the glass is excellent. Think they are german or Austrian

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

They are one of the oldest Company in this business but had to change the name in 1991 at reunification of east and west Germany. Before that they were known as Carl Zeiss Jena. The Company is still in Jena, Germany.

Their optics is high quality and can be compared with Classic series from S&B, Zeiss and Swarovski Habich. They are a bit sharper than Kaps and IOR and way better than Meopta. Given the quality, service and modern design features their price/value ratio is really good.

Their reflex sights were the first and are still among the best. Everybody copied them, Burris was the first one to copy their design.

In scopes they were the first to introduce illuminated dot in second focal plane and reticle in the first focal plane (Unipoint and later Basic series). These design was later copied by Zeiss (Varipoint), S&B (PM II 1-8x24) and Premier Reticles (Heritage V8 1-8x24).

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭beretta391

got to see one in island sports the other day but there was tape holding it together and he was looking for enough for it, swear it was kicked around the place, love to get a look through a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

beretta391 wrote: »
    anyone know any dealer that have theses optics in stock, no nothing about them, are they good? cheers
    I had one a few years ago.
    Optics are as good as any of the other top european brands.
    I sold it because mine had a 1st focal plane reticle and I prefer 2nd focal plane.
    My mate was using one alongside his mate with a S&B one evening and they both agreed the doctor was brighter in low light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

If we are talking about 8x56 scopes I think that they are among the best. The other advantage is that they offer special models of 8x56 with a 50 meters parallax setting. This is ideal for wild boar waiting in the night and shooting at closer ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

got to see one in island sports the other day but there was tape holding it together and he was looking for enough for it, swear it was kicked around the place, love to get a look through a new one.

Hi beretta,

Docter are an excellent scope, I have both S&B and Docter scopes. Two of each actually, as already said by others the clarity is equal if not better in the Docter. And for the money its really a no-brainer. Im hoping to get a new stalking/foxing rig soon and it will definetely be a Docter scope sitting on top of it.

If you want a look through a new one, John Joyce - (Lock, Stock and Barrel) of Westport have them in stock. They had them in the shop when I was down that way last week. They are the new distrubutor of Docter Optics products in Ireland.

Going a bit off topic here but has Island Sports not closed down???

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

I have a 3-9x40 on my .223 and can't fault it. It came as part of my set up. I've only seen one it was in Atlantic sports in carlow I think it was a x50 but didn't see a price on the box. You could always buzz them.

Advertisement