Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography HL-geoecology

• 03-05-2012 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone. :)
    I was just wondering for all those who did the geoecol. option, do you think you'd get by just learning biome qs? A biome has come up each year since the new course as far as I am aware so is it a definite?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

Hey there! (:
    Yup, Biomes are basically guaranteed! The main biome questions my class is studying are:

- Human Influences on the Biome.
    - The Characteristics of a Biome.
    - Animal & Plant Adaptations in/on Biomes.

Being odd as ever, i'm studying Soils.. only because I think it is easier!? But yeah, everyone is different I suppose! :p Oh & The book 'Planets and People - Geocology' by Sue Honan is amazing.. it is basically a book dedicated to the Geocology question only, lovely notes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Thanks for the help. :)
    My teacher has essentially done nothing with us for the past two years (except tell us personal stories) so I feel really lost and unprepared for this exam!
    Do you reckon there is anything else in any section of the paper (I do the economic elective) that is a definite or comes up regularly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Economic elective - globalisation, colonialism, EU policies, conflict, and the environment. Be grand. :D

(Well, mostly ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

My teacher likes to ramble about pointless things in class but then gives really good notes that he prints for us. That's about it. (:
    I never actually do the Economic Elective.. I prefer the Human Enviroment elective! But as for the Economic, I'd definitely prepare: European Union Policies, Globalisation, EU Employment Rates.. that's all I can really remember !

For the Physical:
    - Plate Tectonics.
    - Weathering.
    - Human interaction with the Rock cycle.
    - Earthquakes.
    - Volcanoes.
    - Karst Landscape.

For the Regional:
    - Irish Regions. ( obvious! )
    - Secondary & Tertiary Activities.
    - Agriculture.
    - Urban Regions / Urban Growth.
    - Non Irish Regions & Sub Continental / Continental Regions.

That's all I can remember right now.. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Had no idea a biome was a definate, yay :)
    Thats cuts a workload!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Economic elective - globalisation, colonialism, EU policies, conflict, and the environment. Be grand. :D

(Well, mostly ;))

You also gave up on oceans and atmosphere? :rolleyes:

You also gave up on oceans and atmosphere? :rolleyes:
    Oh God, yes, its disgusting. Please tell me you do it too, that I'm not alone? :pac:
    biohaiid wrote: »
    Had no idea a biome was a definate, yay :)
    Thats cuts a workload!
    It comes up often it seems (and I might learn it just in case too! :L) but they could easily avoid it if they want to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Oh God, yes, its disgusting. Please tell me you did it too, that I'm not alone? :pac:

:cool:

Yeah, decided to do biomes anyway. I wrote 2 essays and they were both utter **** I just gave up. Have no idea what possessed my teacher to teach it, he always gets terrible results from his classes.

:cool:

Yeah, decided to do biomes anyway. I wrote 2 essays and they were both utter **** I just gave up. Have no idea what possessed my teacher to teach it, he always gets terrible results from his classes.
    I was gonna ask my teacher if I could just do that but he'd go ape :rolleyes: I have the exam skills book and it has loads but I dont want to not be able to do it on the day!
    My teacher's results are average and the other class, where the teacher actually isnt qualified in geography, do culture & identity and constantly get 80/80...you'd think he'd learn :L
    I'll PM you about it, I have some ideas of what might be useful to learn for it :)

Advertisement