Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

converted attic - insulation problem

• 03-05-2012 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭

Our dormer bungalow attic was converted into rooms .
    The walls have are 12.5mm foil backed plasterboard and mineral wool in the studs behind.
    The crawl space behind the wall can get draughty and I think this wind is "pulling" the heat out of the mineral wool insulation (based on reading up about it)

is it worth covering the insulation with an air tightness sheet and can you recommend a product ?

I know i wont get a anyway near full air tightness but think it will help????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Robbie71 wrote: »
    Our dormer bungalow attic was converted into rooms .
    The walls have are 12.5mm foil backed plasterboard and mineral wool in the studs behind.
    The crawl space behind the wall can get draughty and I think this wind is "pulling" the heat out of the mineral wool insulation (based on reading up about it)

is it worth covering the insulation with an air tightness sheet and can you recommend a product ?

I know i wont get a anyway near full air tightness but think it will help????

I would use ordinery 500 gauge polythene . 20 or 30 euro from builders yard.

Stapled to the back of the up stand.

Note that you should not seal the air flow between rafters..

Advertisement