Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shotgun questions

Options
  • 03-05-2012 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a shotgun O/U for shooting clays
    As I am looking to buy a gun of this type (no licence for a shotgun yet)
    I have a few questions about this type of gun if people can help me by answering a few things.
    I have included some of what I know (or think I know) so please correct me if my assumptions/knowledge is wrong.

A
    Are shotguns for shooting clays called trap guns or anything else? (I'll just call them trap guns for the rest of the post, if I am wrong in the naming, please correct me).
    I see a few kinds of names for shotgun types, sporter,trap,game
    I assumed sporter and game are the same type? for field shooting of birds/wildlife

B
    Are all trap guns (for shooting clays) more or less similar?
    Is there only one type mainly of clay shooting here in Ireland?
    if not are there different styles of gun for different variations of the same thing? (ie shooting clay discs)
    ie are some types of shooting done with a shorter barrel length?
    I'd have guessed a longer barrel might be better, but possibly intermediate length covers all aspects, where short barrel may not suit all?

C
    From what I have gathered, trap guns are heavier construction, to help absorb the recoil to?? to keep on target for the second shot? but also because you may be shooting a lot of cartridges in a short space of time compared to maybe a lighter field gun??
    Regarding chokes, will most chokes of any manufacturer fit a variety of guns (ie are they standardised by size/thread?) or are the fits/threads specific to manufacturers/by the diameter of the barrel?
    Are they really the be all and end all of shooting clays?? ie could i be wasting my time getting a non adjustable choked gun if shooting clays and end up having to pay twice for one
    OR
    Might I be as well off with say a 1/2 and a 3/4 fixed choked gun?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 centre

You should go to a gun dealer in your area with good expertise in this area. there are a few that are very good with clay guns that have the selection and the experience to sell you whats right for what your doing and suit your budget.
    You will get some good advice here and then a pile of rubbish also , and will probably end up more confused than ever . Pick a top clay gun shop and put your trust in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I dont know/dont think there are any shops that specifically cater to clay shooting, Dublin area?
    I dont like to ask the kind of questions and detail from a gunshop and then find they dont have what i want
    mostly because the shops/dealers i have visited have more or less brought out what they had available and tried to sell me that, I think I will be buying (via online, which may be private or through gundealer). edit as it allows me to get a range of options without being pressed top buy on the spot without seeing all the options.
    Also buying through the route via online dealer/private seems to be a lot cheaper and more bang for your buck than through a shop direct.

I know I will probably get some answers more based on opinion (not that I think thats all bad) but I'm sure there is some well informed clay shooters out there with some good info.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Buying online means you probably won't be able to see if the guns fits you, that's possibly the single most important thing when buying a gun. Go to a good gun dealer, a reputable one will take their time with you. The dealer I bought my own shotgun off it situated at clay ground which helps a lot when deciding a gun to buy so consider doing that.

When I say online, I really mean see it online and go and then go and see/ try the gun for feel, weight.
    I was also trying to get an idea of the most common clay/trap shooting in Ireland?

I went to one dealer, asking about O/A, offered me a semi auto, it felt too light it was all wrong, anyway he seemed annoyed when I gave it back to him.

I get the impression a lot of people go to look with no intention of buying but if you are in the genuine boat of looking but they dont have what you want, well, its not a road I prefer the thread went down, thats why I'm looking for as much info/idea of prices in advance here as I'm currently looking.

Merch wrote: »
    When I say online, I really mean see it online and go and then go and see/ try the gun for feel, weight.
    I was also trying to get an idea of the most common clay/trap shooting in Ireland?

I went to one dealer, asking about O/A, offered me a semi auto, it felt too light it was all wrong, anyway he seemed annoyed when I gave it back to him.

I get the impression a lot of people go to look with no intention of buying but if you are in the genuine boat of looking but they dont have what you want, well, its not a road I prefer the thread went down, thats why I'm looking for as much info/idea of prices in advance here as I'm currently looking.

There are a lot of disciplines shot here- sporting, compact, DTL, ABT etc. Look at the ICPSA website for the various types. The discipline you want to shoot will determine the gun, if it's mostly sporting you're shooting you'll be best served by a sporter and vice versa for trap.

How many dealers did you go to? Some are just awkward, find a good one and they'll take care of you and answer any questions you would have about the sport or equipment.

• Advertisement

I went to 3
    I think I may try shoot at a certain place and get their advice.

Thanks for the replies, I'm not trying to disregard the advice about gundealers, just thought I might get more of a headstart here.

I'd like to be able to try different disciplines, I'm in two minds whether I'll buy a cheap gun and just get out and shoot or on something a little more pricey (but not too pricey), I'm veering towards the cheaper option in case I get totally the incorrect gun, then I wont be taking a terrible hit and may even keep it and apply for a second licence for a more suitable gun.

At the moment I am considering a gun, 30" with chokes so that i could use it for DTL, but maybe shorter range shooting, like skeet but I dont think that is really a discipline here? (this last sentence may reveal my limited experience)
    Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

I was in this position a while back, i bought a s/a for clays first, worst mistake imo. so i then went on the look for another shotgun solely for clays and found a good sporter that fitted me.

Fingal sport and Courtlough are 5 minutes from each other and both have clay grounds to try before you buy, a must for buying a clay gun.

rgugliel wrote: »
    I was in this position a while back, i bought a s/a for clays first, worst mistake imo. so i then went on the look for another shotgun solely for clays and found a good sporter that fitted me.

Fingal sport and Courtlough are 5 minutes from each other and both have clay grounds to try before you buy, a must for buying a clay gun.

Whats s/a?
    Fingal sports has been recommended to me but its on the other side of Dublin/City to me,
    I like the idea of trying a gun out and as Im not buying new, cant see that being a problem.

Whats s/a?
    Fingal sports has been recommended to me but its on the other side of Dublin/City to me,
    I like the idea of trying a gun out and as Im not buying new, cant see that being a problem.

It's a semi auto, if you're in south Dublin and want to go to a dealer try Pat Cooke in Newtown, Wicklow. I bought my gun from him and he has a clay range with different disciplines for you to try guns on. He has a lot of different brands and price ranges, I went cheap enough for my sporter too but it's a solid gun and I've even shot trap with it..cheap doesn't always mean bad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

i wouldn't be put off by driving over the city to have a look before you buy anything, with the rigmarole involved in the license process the last thing you want is to buy something that you don't like after a few weeks plus you might find something a few hundred less that fits you better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

Hilltop in Newtown have a good selection of both new and used guns and there is a range there

On the other hand Niell in cressent sports in monkstown has to be one of the nicest gun dealers out there, as I'm on the road alot I frequent alot of different shops but I always walk out of his shop with a smile :D

rgugliel wrote: »
    i wouldn't be put off by driving over the city to have a look before you buy anything, with the rigmarole involved in the license process the last thing you want is to buy something that you don't like after a few weeks plus you might find something a few hundred less that fits you better

I wouldn't be put off driving across the city, just be handy for one nearer (I see Blay has mentioned Pat Cooke/Newtown, I was unaware of him also), I've been meaning to drop out to Courtlough or Fingal (didnt know the latter had a clay range). Definitely going for an O/U too.
    Blay wrote: »
    It's a semi auto, if you're in south Dublin and want to go to a dealer try Pat Cooke in Newtown, Wicklow. I bought my gun from him and he has a clay range with different disciplines for you to try guns on. He has a lot of different brands and price ranges, I went cheap enough for my sporter too but it's a solid gun and I've even shot trap with it..cheap doesn't always mean bad:)

s/a, I see, I should have copped that, I'm definitely gearing for an O/U.

I'm a bit more convinced to go to a gun dealer again, preferably one with a range,
    I'm still a little unclear,

A Sporter is for? some kind of clay shooting/a specific discipline
    A Trap gun is for trap??
    Game, game birds

whats the difference between a trap and a sporter then???
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr.Woodcock

If you are serious about getting into the sport which you do seem to be, I would highly recommend courtlough, they have a great set up, and alot of the guns in the showroom are ones they they teach people to shoot with, so will give you a good idea, don't let price come into it if you can, I now that's hard in the current economic climate! But the most important thing about a shotgun is that it fits you! A 28" barrel would be ideal, also at courtlough they have quite a few of the disaplens ie dtl Olympic, etc. if you do go, ask for johnny, soundest lad up there! And there's no real difference between a trap and sporter except maybe the rib height!

s/a, I see, I should have copped that, I'm definitely gearing for an O/U.

I'm a bit more convinced to go to a gun dealer again, preferably one with a range,
    I'm still a little unclear,

A Sporter is for? some kind of clay shooting/a specific discipline
    A Trap gun is for trap??
    Game, game birds

whats the difference between a trap and a sporter then???
    :confused:

There's a lot of acronyms to learn..you'll pick them up:pac:

A sporter has a low rib is a bit of an all rounder but mostly used for sporting, compact etc. I have a sporter and from experience I know that if I'm shooting ABT(trap) with it I have to cover the clay with the gun before I fire to hit it. I mostly use it for sporting but it does the job on the odd bit of trap.

A trap gun is for shooting trap..obviously:P You would use it shooting ABT, Skeet and DTL etc. It has a higher rib which means you don't need to cover the clay with the gun as you would with a sporter.

Somebody with more experience might come along and rubbish all that I have said there but that is how I understand it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AL 555

100% worth taking a drive out to both fingal/Courtlough that's what I did I also went to Neil in Crescent Sports monkstown who is as one of the other posters said is an absolute gentleman, I also went as far as Ballymahon but ended up buying from Patrick Carley down near enniscorthy who is also excellent to deal with.. I'm now a member of Courtlough the past 3 years who have a great set up.

If you are serious about getting into the sport which you do seem to be, I would highly recommend courtlough, they have a great set up, and alot of the guns in the showroom are ones they they teach people to shoot with, so will give you a good idea, don't let price come into it if you can, I now that's hard in the current economic climate! But the most important thing about a shotgun is that it fits you! A 28" barrel would be ideal, also at courtlough they have quite a few of the disaplens ie dtl Olympic, etc. if you do go, ask for johnny, soundest lad up there! And there's no real difference between a trap and sporter except maybe the rib height!
    Blay wrote: »
    There's a lot of acronyms to learn..you'll pick them up:pac:

A sporter has a low rib is a bit of an all rounder but mostly used for sporting, compact etc. I have a sporter and from experience I know that if I'm shooting ABT(trap) with it I have to cover the clay with the gun before I fire to hit it. I mostly use it for sporting but it does the job on the odd bit of trap.

A trap gun is for shooting trap..obviously:P You would use it shooting ABT, Skeet and DTL etc. It has a higher rib which means you don't need to cover the clay with the gun as you would with a sporter.

Somebody with more experience might come along and rubbish all that I have said there but that is how I understand it:pac:

This really is the kind of info I'm looking for, thanks

I've fired a few shots at clay pigeons but at the time I didn't ask at the time about the actual shotgun (weight,rib height or anything), I'm almost sure the ribs were quite flat. I did look down a few guns and think the ribs were raised (ie there was like a ramp up to the rib, where it progressed down the top of the barrel), but it didnt seem as natural to look down (this was in a shop) ,the clay hovering over the bead sounds good as its not obscured, I thought i previously had better success hitting when i followed through just after i could not see the clay and then pulled the trigger.

Shooting game (birds) isn't something i would rule out in the future but at the moment I would like to shoot at clay pigeons, to get repeatable practice in, but also maybe eventually to try at a competition (way off i'm sure) so a trap gun seems to be the way to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Just having a mid night browse and I taught I would throw in my two cents. Have you done much clay pigeon shooting up to this point?
    If not I highly recommend that you do so either with a friends gun or on one of the commercial ranges.
    I do not want to prattle on so forgive me if I am off the mark here. Clay pigeon shooting on a regular basis (once a week) is costly. The cost of clays vary from club to club / grounds (we buy in bulk therefore cheep) but can work out expensive on commercial grounds, then there is the price of ammo on average €17-20.00 (75 shells = 3 DTL or a round of sporting (i tend to miss and need that second barrel)) not to mention club annual and daily fees. I buy ammo in bulk and it does reduce the cost some what but compared to field shooting you will be burning a good bit of powder to get and keep you eye in.
    I got into it a year back and although I do like it my first love is field shooting and there fore my preference in guns will always be influenced by hunting.
    There are guys in our club breaking clays with 'cheep and cheerful' alongside the more exspensive guns and opposite is true. I would recommend that you ensure the gun fits you as already advised here and when you go to a deeler you bring an experienced shot gun shooter with you for advice on selection and shot gun fit.

Any way that's my two cents. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭peteshamrock

I would second this completely! I have only recently got my license but Courtlough is a fantastic place to do some practical research. I spent fecking hours completely confusing myself online. Get out there and see it for yourself.

Advertisement