Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Gorey??

Options
  • 03-05-2012 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm looking to move to Gorey from Dublin in the next month or so, with the intention of commuting back and forth.
    Any recommendations on places to rent or alternatively avoid? I've read a couple of older posts but not sure how relative they still are....

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭wilfitz

Hi bungee.
    I can help you if you provide a bit more information of what you are looking for? Are you looking to be near the train station for commuting, schools etc.Live in the town or outside the town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bungee1980

Thanks wilfitz. tbh, schools and location to the train station is not too important as I plan on driving each day but as the stereotype goes, I would like to be close enough to civilisation i.e. the pub to catch a mid week game. I'm not hearing great things about places like Clonattin and Ramsgate but that's coming from older posts so not sure if things have changed. Ballymoney & Craanford are alternatives however the ideal option is to be close to the town to avail of the amenities. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Clonattin village and Ramsgate are just your average modern-ish housing estates, not particularly rough or anything but they are pretty big so obviously there would be a few trouble makers in there. Personally I think Clonattin is slightly nicer but there isn't a massive amount of difference.

Ballymoney and Craanford are both less than 10 mins drive out of Gorey so not a massive distance away.
    Craanford is a pretty rural place but does have the usual pub/shop etc.
    Ballymoney is the usual sort of seaside area, can get very busy during the summer but rest of the time is quiet enough. A lot of the houses are holiday homes, especially the estates which can be completely dead during the winter months. Has 2 pubs were you should be able to watch the match.

I think your best bet would be to come down with a list of places you want to check out and have a look for yourself. Most places are nice enough, it just depends on who you end up living beside :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bungee1980

Thanks for the feedback on Clonattin and Ramsgate, good to know. I hope to get down next weekend to look at a few places....Newborough, Woodland drive the Charlotte Grove estate. Will also drive out by Ballymoney to have a look. As you said, after that it's down to lady luck when it comes to the neighbours ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭wilfitz

Bungee1980 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback on Clonattin and Ramsgate, good to know. I hope to get down next weekend to look at a few places....Newborough, Woodland drive the Charlotte Grove estate. Will also drive out by Ballymoney to have a look. As you said, after that it's down to lady luck when it comes to the neighbours ;)

I'd stay away from ramsgate and clonattin. Newborough and Charlotte grove are only a short distance from town with woodlands drive a little further. Another nice estate is Ardmore. Not as close as the rest but still within walking distance to the town. Craanford is a lovely little village that pretty much seems to have everything. Two pubs but one does not even have draught beer!! A little estate there called Baile Thoiboid which is right across from the pub and these look like nice houses. But if your looking to enjoy the sociable life I'd stick to Gorey and you won't go wrong. Great pubs, restaurants and shops. Pretty much everything you need on your doorsteps. Happy house hunting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

I would choose Ballymoney any day over Gorey having lived in both places id love to return to Ballymoney

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Serenegreen

Apologies to the OP for hijacking. I am a mum of two children (age 4/10) and I too am planning on moving to Gorey before the start of the new school term. I need to arrange a place for my youngest to start a primary school in Junior Infants and my oldest in fifth class. Also I think that Charlotte Grove, Hazelwood, Woodlands Manor, Ramsgate Village are probably the areas id be looking at living in. I would like an estate or village area with shops, possible bus route (incase of car issues) and not too remote ie other children to play with. What would any people living in Gorey suggest? Any and all help is appreciated. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Yve

I live in Clonattin ( have two small children) and it so peaceful !

They are lots of sections to the place and anyone I have spoke to love it here as it's so quiet.

I love it

Very surprised to see negative comments - am only here under a year however

Advertisement