Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lead poisoning

• 03-05-2012 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Had an uncle who has three heifers very bad with lead poisoning, he found a battery thrown over ditch and the heifers were after licking it. so just a word of warning have a look round ur ditches.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Bradfield wrote: »
    Had an uncle who has three heifers very bad with lead poisoning, he found a battery thrown over ditch and the heifers were after licking it. so just a word of warning have a look round ur ditches.

Thats bad news , I always check land around the roads before i put cattle in on it . Too risky not to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Does the battery have to be broken for them to get at the lead, I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ltrvale

pakalasa wrote: »
    i'm not sure think the poles might be lead too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

pakalasa wrote: »

Im not sure but there was a terrible case beside me about 15 years ago , A neighbour or mine had land rented with no water (river or piped) , so he was giving the cattle water out of an old tank on a tractor trailer , that he would bring back to the yard and fill every week or so .
    Some bad bast##d threw two batteries into the tank . He lost 8 cattle and more very sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Bradfield wrote: »
    i'm not sure think the poles might be lead too

The poles probably are made of lead, but the really dangerous stuff is the powdery/pasty stuff on the wire grids inside the battery. I think the battery has to be broken to be dangerous, but all that has to happen is somebody drive over it or clip it with a harvester.

LC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

The reason I asked about the battery is, I have an old tractor battery that I use with the portable electric fencer. I do my best to keep it away from the cattle but you know yerself.

Advertisement