Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin airport noise

Options
  • 03-05-2012 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed a large increase in aircraft noise in the early hours of the morning, before 6am, and also a large increase in the volume of take off etc, i use to hear the car traffic from about 6.45am, now its the aeroplanes at 6am, so we all getting less sleep.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, there has definitely been a huge increase in aircraft noise over Castleknock (where I live) in the past week or so. In fact, I can hear aircraft as I type this at 7.30pm in the evening.

It must be due to a change of runways from the usual East-West one that's used at Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

thats 3 in the last few minutes, can they do as they please or can people object to this early morning noise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Scheduled flights take off daily from 6am on, been that way for years.
    As someone else said, it might just be that they've been using a different runway for take-off/landing - the direction of the wind determines which one they use. Or maybe you're just waking up easier than before!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I work in Ballycoolin. A few of us commented during the heavy rains Tuesday and also last week as to whether we were hearing thunder in the early morning or was it from the heavy rain. It was not thunder and was planes taking off.

Maybe the weather/heavy cloud cover has been a factor in boosting the noise?

Usually we get the prevailing south westerly, but in the last few weeks they have been easterlies, perhaps carrying the sound more?

Perhaps the above is rubbish as I say, there was a fairly noticeable increase in the sound of the planes in the last two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Electrical work on main runway this week, so they are using the crosswind runway - you guys will get a lot of low flying flights.
    http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/news/main-dublin-airport-runway-to-shut-for-maintenance/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The wind is blowing from the east - aircraft are landing/taking off in the opposite direction to normal and using the cross-runway at night.
    horse7 wrote: »
    thats 3 in the last few minutes, can they do as they please or can people object to this early morning noise.

You are in the flight path of an operational runway at Dublin Airport - what do you expect them to do if the wind pattern changes or there has to be essential maintenance work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

lxflyer wrote: »
    The wind is blowing from the east - aircraft are landing/taking off in the opposite direction to normal and using the cross-runway at night.

You are in the flight path of an operational runway at Dublin Airport - what do you expect them to do if the wind pattern changes or there has to be essential maintenance work?

+1 - meanwhile in Syria..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's just temporary because of the unusual prevailing wind and night works. Although its understandable why the people of Portmarnock and Malahide are miffed at the plans for a second parallel runway on lands to the north of Dublin.

Theres always someone worse off than yourself, this is west London -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Qantas_b747_over_houses_arp.jpg

Most modern turbofan engines are 40% quieter than 30 years ago. At least you arent being buzzed by an old turbojet 737 or BAC 1-11

Advertisement