Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking screws

• 03-05-2012 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows a good quality decking screw. We built a deck with rawlplug deck screws under two years ago and the deck has come loose in places due to some heads popping off and the wood contracting and expanding on the shaft of the screw. I have seen some with a thread under the head to clamp timber but can't find them in any merchant. I don't understand why merchants concentrate on good timber with cheap imported fixings. Help please!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am guessing you must have used brass screws.

Normal decking screws are zinc coated steal. The only reason the heads would break on these is if there is too much movement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Rawlplug decking screws are coated green and are strong as fcuk.25 year resistence to the elements

I use them and they are very very good.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lone ranger

paddy147 wrote: »
    Rawlplug decking screws are coated green and are strong as fcuk.25 year resistence to the elements

I use them and they are very very good.:)

Fair enough but doesn't explain why heads popping or why deck boards are becoming loose. Why coat green for a brown deck??

I am guessing you must have used brass screws.

Normal decking screws are zinc coated steal. The only reason the heads would break on these is if there is too much movement.

Tks joey but they were defo green deck screws , would movement not occur naturally with expansion and contraction depending on elements?

Fair enough but doesn't explain why heads popping or why deck boards are becoming loose. Why coat green for a brown deck??

Ask Rawlplug.

The Rawlplug decking screws are "coated" green (in the factory) for longevity and protection from the elements and weather.

Ive used 50,60 and 80mm decking screws to secure long and large timber battons,trellis frames and also Pergolas off of walls and never ever had any issues with them.

Strong as feck too.:)

• Advertisement

Ask Rawlplug.

The Rawlplug decking screws are "coated" green (in the factory) for longevity and protection from the elements and weather.

Ive used 50,60 and 80mm decking screws to secure long and large timber battons,trellis frames and also Pergolas off of walls and never ever had any issues with them.

Strong as feck too.:)

Well u defo have more experience than me so.. By any chance have you seen the ones with the thread under the head then a space for bout 25mm and the thread starts again . As u can imagine its a pain in the *** to take them out and replace with new but don't want to take the chance of happening again .any other brands u have used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I have some Wurth deck screws for sale,

PM if interested 5 x 70, have used them for years, v strong. heads do not come off, screw does not detoriate over time

I started off using the green coated screws, prob with them is the coating comes off /breaks down, when they are screwed into the boards , ie the shank of screw, this is of course unseen, but will cause rust, weakness over time

Pics of the Rawlplug Decking Screws that I use

Ive also used "Suki" stainless steel screws for outdoor stuff,and they work very well too.

Pics of the Rawlplug Decking Screws that I use

Ive also used "Suki" stainless steel screws for outdoor stuff,and they work very well too.

Cheers paddy for taking the time to send these but I've done some research and Spax do one just like what I spoke about. Don't want to take chance again,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Spax do stainless decking scews. The green ones I have used the coating gets nicked by the bit and then corrodes. Haven't had any fail yet but give it time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Stainless screws are finicky though, I had a load of heads snap off when driving them in.
    I've used the green coated ones as well, they are pretty durable, I have some in for going on 5 years and they haven't corroded at all.
    There is also some the same green colour that have a Torx head which makes driving bigger screws much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The torx head ones are great.

With stainless, I just wipe the thread with the stub of a candle.

Advertisement