Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bought used car what are my rights

Options
  • 03-05-2012 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Bought a car in march and have it only on the road a month already having problems with it amounting to cost of 1200 to fix. My Question is regarding my rights, the place i bought the car is to my knowledge not a registered garage (because i cannot find anything on companies reg website on them) but on the receipt i was given has the title of a business hand-written on top of the receipt, also stating that i have a one month guarantee if the engine goes on the car. Does anyone out there know where i stand in terms my rights if any regarding the matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Sounds like you've little or no rights by the sound of it.

Have you tried going back to them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 robertobaggio

Rang them and there not willing to give me a cent, pure cowboys. Why do you think i have no chance, does the fact they have a so called garage title on the receipt mean nothing:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

According to this the only way to have any chance of getting your money back is Small claims court.

http://www.nca.ie/index.jsp?p=133&n=177&a=349

But if there not a registered garage do i have a leg to stand on? Just questioning the business name written on my receipt when i bought the car does that mean anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Then you bought a car privately.

caveat emptor

• Advertisement

well i guess i am wondering if they are selling it privately why the receipt contained a business name, is it not illegal for them to supply the receipt using a business name if there not a registered garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

fake business name?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The idea of a registered garage has no real significance. Whether or not somebody is in the motor trade is a matter of fact. Things like having a premises, having a number of vehicles for sale at the same time, advertising using a business name such as "Breathnach Motors" all add up to being in the motor trade.

That said, your legal protections in buying a used car are limited unless the car is actually dangerous. My guess is that you bought something fairly cheap (I base that guess on the very limited guarantee you got; if I'm wrong, come back on the point). If you buy a cheap used car, whether from a dealer or privately, you are in the Caveat emptor zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dublin25

Sounds fairly familar to the car I just bought - except our problems starts within a week of getting the car. I am having problems finding the dealer onthe cro, I'll call the CRO shortly to find out.

What way was the car sold to you? Did they advise it was serviced? NCT?
    Give any idea on repair work.

Have a read of the NCA website, as i found that very helpful.

If you buy a cheap used car, whether from a dealer or privately, you are in the Caveat emptor zone.
    I do not agree with this statement at all. A car sold from a dealer should be fit for purpose irregardless of the price paid. If bought privately i agree but if this guy bought from a dealer there is consumer protect involved.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You wont find them on the cro unless they are registered as a company. They may be a sole trader.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Bought a car in march...i have a one month guarantee if the engine goes on the car.
    I think you've answered your own question.
    If that's the end of the story then that's €1,200 well spent on learning that lesson*.

*In case you didn't learn it, always get a car checked by someone you know and trust**.

** Not the guy selling the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Kinikie

Buying used cars is a minefield, advice above is sound, get someone who knows what they are looking for to check it out...even then an engine can go pop a week later...feel for you though, I've bought my fair share of bangers in the past, all lasted more than a month tho

It was'nt the engine that went it was main electrical unit because of a water leak that had corroded the body modular unit of the car. Like yourself Dublin 25 i cannot find any reference on cro website to the fella i bought the car off, yet i can find up on ten cars he has for sale on various advertising websites.

The CRO is irrelevant. It's clear enough he is in the trade. That, too, is largely irrelevant.

You have been burned, and all I can offer is a bit of sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,672 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Buying from a dealer compared to a guy privately is more expensive usually because there is a bit of a comeback.

Dealers usually offer a warranty of some description, even if only 3 months. That way, you have an idea that they aren't sellign you a complete dud, as it is likely to fail inside the 3 month period.

Buy from a private seller, and I'm afraid its 'Buyer Beware'. If there is a private sale you are really interested in, I would advise tracking down a good mechanic and paying them a fee to check the car over. Might be best €50 or €100 you'll ever spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

NIMAN wrote: »
    Buy from a private seller, and I'm afraid its 'Buyer Beware'. If there is a private sale you are really interested in, I would advise tracking down a good mechanic and paying them a fee to check the car over. Might be best €50 or €100 you'll ever spend.
    For every purchase, dealer or private, get an independent mechanic to give the car a thorough inspection. Also get a car history check.

I'm sure 95% of the industry is honest, but the other 5% will happily sell you a car that's falling apart at the seams and a guarantee that covers only the engine.

Also especially beware of a dealer making a private sale... if he is giving up the 'bought from a dealer' premium there is likely to be a good reason.

It may be something innocent, e.g. they took an 8 year old car as a trade-in but policy is to have nothing over 6 years old in the forecourt.

Or it may be that he knows its junk and wants to offload it with no comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dublin25

The CRO is irrelevant. It's clear enough he is in the trade. That, too, is largely irrelevant.

You have been burned, and all I can offer is a bit of sympathy.

Not really irrelevant if he wants to submit it to the small claims court, company registration number required for that.

Dublin25 wrote: »
    Not really irrelevant if he wants to submit it to the small claims court, company registration number required for that.
    If there is no record in the CRO, there is no company registration number; there is no company.

Advertisement