Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studio Furniture

• 03-05-2012 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations of sites or places to get nice studio furniture?

I'm mainly looking for a desk. Something big, with a higher shelf for monitors and displays, and maybe a couple of racks.

I've been looking at this, but I just wanted to find some other options:

AKA Design ProEdit

I really like that one, but it might be a bit more than I want to spend...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

Find a good carpenter to build you one will save you a fortune. I was considering http://www.sterlingmodular.com/plan-series-a.asp recently, then i thought about parting with 2k for desk was a crazy crazy road. I got the rough plans for one and did some math and when desk is finished I'll add the reflection pads on the back of desk, considering main monitors sit back away from desk (same idea as a blue pro desk)

All for under half price of what desk would cost ex vat.

Might be worth some consideration.

EDIT:
    carpenter has done a lot of work for Grouse lodge/studio, all bespoke pieces.
    Michael Kelly Joinery Works Limited
    Aghamore, Kilbeggan, Co Westmeath
    057 9332457

He has an interest in recording studios so he will talk shop and know what you are looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I can supply Aka , Argosy and Omniraxx .

However with shipping it soon gets into silly figures.

Munro Acoustics also do bespoke studio furniture at a fairly affordable rate.

It's a quandary , isn't it , spending a couple of K on something that won't make the recordings sound any better !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

I got mine built by a carpenter for less than €1000. Designed it myself with his help and Google Sketchup. I think it's better to keep the monitor speakers physically separate from the desk to avoid unwanted resonance.

I've made a few changes to it since- sold the mixer, going to put a slide out shelf for Roland SPD, and a small work surface there. No keyboards on the wall anymore either, sold them too :)

Studio2.jpg
    Studio%20desk.png

how you finding the book shelf as a trap? just after building 7 new traps for new room. I see you a firm believer in "X" marks the spot:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

LOL! The room looks quite different now, a few compromises between space and acoustics (hence weird position of bookshelf). That's an old pic, doesn't even have the handles on doors. Main thing is I got the Humanscale Task Chair- the throne is very important! Still using that X though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

Thanks for the replies! I've been thinking about the carpenter route, but to get that same stylish finish of the AKA or the argosy ones, you'd probably have to pay through the nose anyway im sure...

I'm kind of a sucker for that machined finish!!

@PaulBrewer: You say you can supply them? what do you estimate it would cost for that exact configuration of the ProEdit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

mine was also done by a local carpenter at around 800 euro a few years ago. something similar off the shelf was about 3 times more.

we had to glue led to most surfaces so it will not vibrate at some frequencies.

ctrl%20660.jpg

Shay was it a beech wood your carpenter used ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

no idea Peter. sorry.
    (not sure I ever did know, but it was about 10 years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kathiiford

Apart from purchasing in conventional shops, you can find out excellent facilities furnishings discovers at various websites and websites. You can use eBay to find bargains on both new and used products.

• Advertisement

I finally got around to sorting a new desk for room. Legs still to be painted black and the MDF templates are to be removed and replaced with birch and varnished up, you can see it on the side. Am in 2 minds about adding the fabric to the sides I'll see how it interacts with my room. All in all am happy with how it turned out.

Carpenter is Kieron @ Allwood here in Mullingar. Nice chap very fair pricing lets say it cost less than a 1/4 of retail.

291.jpg

How did things end up for you Jonathan??

Got around to doing first coat of paint today only 3 more to go.

If a mod could move this into the above post it would be great. edit function won't work for me.

109.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DR.Magoo

Check out Ikeahacker, Happy out with my set up cost me 160e including a nice chair. plenty of space and can add onto it in the future with more Ikea products if I wish

Advertisement