Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with brass...?

Options
  • 03-05-2012 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Ok guys I'm in the middle of moving house, have amassed about 400 spent rounds of 6.5 over last 6 yrs ?

Can I just throw it in with the load going to scrap....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

tfox wrote: »
    Ok guys I'm in the middle of moving house, have amassed about 400 spent rounds of 6.5 over last 6 yrs ?

Can I just throw it in with the load going to scrap....?

take them with you:D:rolleyes:, no put them in for scrap, i just moved house and had the same problem, its amazing what **** you accumulate over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Brass is worth a fair bit now,so you could always flog them to a scrap metal merchant.After you cut them all in half to be sure!:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

4 euro a kilo. Bin them to honest. Take a good couple of hundred shells to get 4euro lad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Lads, if anyone is looking rid of brass you can give it to me. If it's a calibre i'm not loading for I just give it to someone who is. No point in throwing away good brass if someone else can make use of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 groundskeeper willie

yea your better off not throwing them out someone will be grateful for them some time. scrap dealers usually want all sorts of certs declaring the shells are empty and safe, and like has been said you'd need a fair few to be worth the hassle

• Advertisement

I dunno.Waste not want not and all that.For five mins of picking up brass at the end of a shoot it amounts to a good bit over time.But thats just me..!:p
    When I did sell it,they were happy to take as is,and made sure it was renderd un accessible there and then by pouring it into a scrap baler.Dont think you will retrive anything usable out of a 1ton brick!! Was enough to buy me another 4boxes of 9mm,for just picking up my empties. .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

Scrap folk technically cannot take it... I'll have too look up the exact section but even spent brass is now considered ammunition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

it's not if you make it unusable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Post deleted.

tac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

@ tac foley - As was said above even spent cases are classified as ammunition so if he were to keep all his brass, assuming reloading would be ,made available for everyone at some point, he would have to measure/count the amount of fired brass he has, and deduct that from his total amount on his license.

IOW if his license said 500 rounds. Then 400 empty brass means he can only have 100 live rounds, and when they are spent he is now in possession of 500 rounds (fired ones), and as such legally cannot buy or be in possession of more ammo (live).

Something to be aware of for anyone that has a "collection" of brass sitting around.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Ezridax wrote: »
    @ tac foley - As was said above even spent cases are classified as ammunition so if he were to keep all his brass, assuming reloading would be ,made available for everyone at some point, he would have to measure/count the amount of fired brass he has, and deduct that from his total amount on his license.

IOW if his license said 500 rounds. Then 400 empty brass means he can only have 100 live rounds, and when they are spent he is now in possession of 500 rounds (fired ones), and as such legally cannot buy or be in possession of more ammo (live).

Something to be aware of for anyone that has a "collection" of brass sitting around.

Ah, sorry about that, I didn't realise that was the way things were. As you see, I have deleted my ill-advised advice.

tac, eating lunch in Tim's.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Thats an oldie JG!:)Must look that up tonite for a re watch.Havent seen that one in years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Thats an oldie JG!:)Must look that up tonite for a re watch.Havent seen that one in years..

;) It was on the box last night, quite good!

Advertisement