Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for cheap but practical gates?

• 03-05-2012 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

We could do with getting proper driveway gates but have a tiny budget.

Basically the width is 11 feet then there would have to be a 5 foot panel ideally with a side gate attached for the side as there is no pillar on one side.

The idea would be to have gates we can open wide enough to drive a car through so double gates obviously would be better I guess. The gates would have to be 5 and a half to 6 feet high and not have any gaps for at least 4 feet of it (to keep the dogs from seeing out on to the road).

We use cill dara run panels at the moment which can't be opened would it be possible/cheaper to have these converted in to gates..is that possible..guess installing any gates ould require some secure posts would rather not use timber posts.

Any suggestions only have a budget of €500 am I nuts..should I wait to have a bigger budget?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

500 for the materials and making it yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not much of a budget there.
    Perhaps something in metal? Like a metal frame with mesh or similar.
    Then cover the mesh with weather resistant canvas.

Similar to this but not as big
    mesh%20fencing%20k.jpg

superior_awning_2012028027.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

500 for the materials and making it yourself?

Hey - Not sure where the OP has gone, but was hoping there'd be some answers on here so thought I'd bump!

- I'd be in the same boat, have two pillars and looking to hang gates for a 14' opening.

I was thinking of getting a local welder to make a cheap as chips box steel frame work and then just pick and screw on whatever wood would look ok and weather well?

Would love to hear an suggestions or see any photos if you have done this or similar already.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Raiser wrote: »
    Hey - Not sure where the OP has gone, but was hoping there'd be some answers on here so thought I'd bump!

- I'd be in the same boat, have two pillars and looking to hang gates for a 14' opening.

I was thinking of getting a local welder to make a cheap as chips box steel frame work and then just pick and screw on whatever wood would look ok and weather well?

Would love to hear an suggestions or see any photos if you have done this or similar already.....

Larch or Cedar wood cladding.:)

Stain or Oil them once a year.

Will last a lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi sf took a few photos of gates where i was working today'about 350 to make:Dponddigger:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks for the help folks!

- Spotted you on another forum there recently :Dponddigger:D - You're getting famous for your aquatic ingenuity - as usual your input is inspirational and appreciated.

:DRaiser:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi raiser. ha ha :Dponddigger:D

Advertisement