Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too far from exchange, but..

• 03-05-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

I signed up to eircom broadband 2 months ago when I moved to a rural area, since getting the broadband, its been operating between 166-280kbps.
    Broadband tech have only just informed me that its because im too far from the local exchange ( they never mentioned this when i signed up) - my broadband as far as they are concerned cant be improved, but I was wondering if there are any devices or gadgets that I can buy to improve my speed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I live in a rural area and when my eircom was installed I was getting about 1.5Mb and it was really unreliable.

Eircom came out to the house and changed my eircom phone jack and rewired the incoming wires from the road (swapping with a spare pair) and my broadband is now about 3Mb and really reliable.

Do you have alternative wireless options in your area (e.g. something like Rapid Broadband).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I dont think so. Tech guy phoned to say the problem was being too far from the exchange, prior to that someone came and fitted a proper socket splitter, but it didnt help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

do you have 3G as it would be better than the rates you are getting via DSL?

PM me your approx location and will check for other options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Great - pm sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

BengaLover wrote: »
    but I was wondering if there are any devices or gadgets that I can buy to improve my speed.

No, none at all. DSL has a physical line length limitation, and short of moving closer to the exchange, there's nothing you can do.

They're also not obliged to tell you about this limitation at sign up. DSL is sold with speeds quoted as "up to". Speeds are always subject to line suitability. It would be nice of them to have told you of course, and mostly they actually do. Their pre-install line information will give the operator an indication of line quality before you sign up, and they would normally mention if your line is of poor quality or long length which would restrict speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

jor el wrote: »
    No, none at all. DSL has a physical line length limitation, and short of moving closer to the exchange, there's nothing you can do.

They're also not obliged to tell you about this limitation at sign up. DSL is sold with speeds quoted as "up to". Speeds are always subject to line suitability. It would be nice of them to have told you of course, and mostly they actually do. Their pre-install line information will give the operator an indication of line quality before you sign up, and they would normally mention if your line is of poor quality or long length which would restrict speed.
    One thing you said is not true, if the prequal suggests the line is "amber" then they're obliged to say the line only may be suitable and you will not be able to get more than 1mbit on it. The online phone line checker will also give this "may be suitable" response.

@OP if someone's been to the house already it's very unlikely anything can be done unless the linesman at the time wasn't bothered trying to swap a pair from the house to the exchange. And then it's hardly likely he would do it if you asked again unless you bribed him or something!! Seeing as they never told you that your line was on the extreme edge of service reliability, they should allow you to leave your contract without penalty. There's an eircom forum on boards where you can tell them all this and see what can be done about the line or exiting your contract..

Advertisement