Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda checkpoint powers?

Options
  • 03-05-2012 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

On my way home from Clonakilty to Enniskeane yesterday lunchtime, there was a Garda checkpoint on one of the straight stretches of road. I thought at first there had been an accident; a patrol car on one side of the road, an unmarked car with hazard lights flashing on the other, and the pick up two cars ahead was stopped for a long while. Car in front of me was waved through, then the young woman Guard flagged me down.

Usually the men Guards glance at my tax and insurance discs and wave me through; I am an old white haired lady.

This young one was different. She quizzed me for several minutes, commenting on the contents of my car; I had a sack of coal on the passenger seat as that is the only way I can get it home and unloaded.
    What was I carrying in the back? Had I been shopping....

That was commented on; where was I going and why. Where did I live; what was my name... All very fast and persistent.

One hesitates to make smart replies in a situation like this.

The other two took no interest in what was going on.they were 100 yards way, back to us chatting. There was no way they could have heard what was going on.

I have never had this before and it was upsetting in the aggressiveness and intrusiveness.

She did finally decide to check the discs.

If she was in training etc she needs a few lessons in public relations!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Shame, what a pity. Most Guards are fine really - you were unlucky to get a snooty bitch.

Technically you are not obliged to tell the Gardai anything but practically it is normally easier to do so (even your name and address). If the questions persisted I might (depending on how bald my tyres were or if I had a break light broken), ask why I was being stopped / questioned. If (s)he doesn't quote the appropriate law (such as Public Order Act or Road Traffic Act or whatever), I would be disinclined to cooperate further.

I'm surprised to hear your demographic. Normally ye get away with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

donalh087 wrote: »
    Shame, what a pity. Most Guards are fine really - you were unlucky to get a snooty bitch.

Technically you are not obliged to tell the Gardai anything but practically it is normally easier to do so (even your name and address). If the questions persisted I might (depending on how bald my tyres were or if I had a break light broken), ask why I was being stopped / questioned. If (s)he doesn't quote the appropriate law (such as Public Order Act or Road Traffic Act or whatever), I would be disinclined to cooperate further.

I'm surprised to hear your demographic. Normally ye get away with murder.

lol!
    Exactly! And thank you. The thing that put me at a disadvantage was that I had stopped for the coal at the creamery on that road and had forgotten to redo my seat belt.. was still trying to fasten the dratted thing when she stopped me and of course she knew I was lying! "You were wearing your seat belt, WEREN'T YOU?"

Some of these young woman Guards are fearsome though.

Maybe she was new at the job... Or just has logorhea...

Someone I told this to reacted just as you have done.. Thank you and next time....

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ieoinu

Graces7 wrote: »
    lol!
    Exactly! And thank you. The thing that put me at a disadvantage was that I had stopped for the coal at the creamery on that road and had forgotten to redo my seat belt.. was still trying to fasten the dratted thing when she stopped me and of course she knew I was lying! "You were wearing your seat belt, WEREN'T YOU?"

Someone I told this to reacted just as you have done.. Thank you and next time....

Did you get a ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Best way to deal with it is ask something like Is the road closed? Because I have to get home to pick up the brother from work etc.
    Its a polite way of saying I haven't got time for silly questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

If you had problem with a member of AGS GSOC 1890 600 800

Most members are doing there jobs, checkpoints bring up a lot of other thing than traffic related offensives, not saying you did anything wrong.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

POGAN wrote: »
    If you had problem with a member of AGS GSOC 1890 600 800

Most members are doing there jobs, checkpoints bring up a lot of other thing than traffic related offensives, not saying you did anything wrong.

Hope this helps

Slightly ambiguous post, but well meant I know and thank you..

No intention of making any complaint; simply now well armed for it if happens again.

It was indeed a surprise as the men are always kind. Once I had the documents still in their envelopes in the glove compartment and had simply forgotten to display them and the Garda kindly did that for me..

It makes this episode all the more unacceptable of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

On my way home from Clonakilty to Enniskeane yesterday lunchtime, there was a Garda checkpoint on one of the straight stretches of road. I thought at first there had been an accident; a patrol car on one side of the road, an unmarked car with hazard lights flashing on the other, and the pick up two cars ahead was stopped for a long while. Car in front of me was waved through, then the young woman Guard flagged me down.

Usually the men Guards glance at my tax and insurance discs and wave me through; I am an old white haired lady.

This young one was different. She quizzed me for several minutes, commenting on the contents of my car; I had a sack of coal on the passenger seat as that is the only way I can get it home and unloaded.
    What was I carrying in the back? Had I been shopping....

That was commented on; where was I going and why. Where did I live; what was my name... All very fast and persistent.

One hesitates to make smart replies in a situation like this.

The other two took no interest in what was going on.they were 100 yards way, back to us chatting. There was no way they could have heard what was going on.

I have never had this before and it was upsetting in the aggressiveness and intrusiveness.

She did finally decide to check the discs.

If she was in training etc she needs a few lessons in public relations!
    lol!

No intention of making any complaint; simply now well armed for it if happens again.

It was indeed a surprise as the men are always kind. Once I had the documents still in their envelopes in the glove compartment and had simply forgotten to display them and the Garda kindly did that for me..

HI there,

It's nice that you have no intention of making a complaint. People are too often these days throwing out the number for the ombudsman & encouraging that to be followed through instead of allowing a fair process of simple steps before-hand.

You could of course contact the station and ask to put your own mind at ease as to what that questioning was about. Don't hesitate in contacting to enquire in a situation like that. It's a shame that you were make feel like you were, no need for that in my opinion.

I don't know the reasoning for that check-point or any circumstances surrounding who that guard encountered before yourself so I won't say anything on that, if you don't mind.

I just want to say that I hope you won't feel discouraged in approaching a station and asking to speak with someone there should anything similar happen in future, or even feel like any further check-point you encounter will be similar to this one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Am I right in understanding you had no tax or insurance displayed when stopped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Well spotted...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

i got stoped comeing out of killarney very near the cork side cant remember where to be honest,
    anyway i got pulled over for speeding grand took it on the chin,it was years ago so it was a fine so the garda was in fairness a nice man but still a kerry man so on he went asking me all sorts then his final question what was i doing so far away from home(im a cork man) so been the smart man i was, i told him i was sent down to check the gate and make sure the lock wasent touched:D
    at that he was puzzled ,what gate are u on about he said....i said the one that keeps all e kerry people in one place and not out and about seeing what we have in cork...ha ha

i got stoped comeing out of killarney very near the cork side cant remember where to be honest,
    anyway i got pulled over for speeding grand took it on the chin,it was years ago so it was a fine so the garda was in fairness a nice man but still a kerry man so on he went asking me all sorts then his final question what was i doing so far away from home(im a cork man) so been the smart man i was, i told him i was sent down to check the gate and make sure the lock wasent touched:D
    at that he was puzzled ,what gate are u on about he said....i said the one that keeps all e kerry people in one place and not out and about seeing what we have in cork...ha ha

:D, cheers for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

kerry4sam wrote: »
    :D, cheers for this!
    Now you've told him what the gate is for! Its only a matter of time before they learn how to open it! And then what??

FFS Cork, first Collins, now this? I knew you couldn't be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The questions she was asking was to check if you had been drinking.

If your speech is slurred or if had you had hesitated she would get the machine out.

They do call it the gardai nose ya know.

You quoted her saying just that (see ^^). She said that she had them but just forgot to display them, which can happen. She said she had them in her possession but had forgot to display them and the guard offered to display them on her window for her, which was nice of him. Do you have a problem with that happening?

Now you've told him what the gate is for! Its only a matter of time before they learn how to open it! And then what??

FFS Cork, first Collins, now this? I knew you couldn't be trusted.

yeah sur there are no kerrymen in around Cork at all like ;)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    You quoted her saying just that (see ^^). She said that she had them but just forgot to display them, which can happen. She said she had them in her possession but had forgot to display them and the guard offered to display them on her window for her, which was nice of him. Do you have a problem with that happening?

Not at all, but it might explain the questioning when stopped initially :)

Not at all, but it might explain the questioning when stopped initially :)

:confused: ah no it doesn't explain it to me anyway as they were two different check-points, on two different occasions from my understanding of this.

The opening post in here is about the female guard and the way she made this poster feel
    , but the point you picked up on about the discs being in her possession but not displayed were in relation to a separate check-point that the op was making reference to and comparing against about a male guard being nice and helpful :)

Different checkpoints! Ah, probably. I get you now. Though it could - and was - be read differently. Beautiful language we use, in its own way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

Perhaps it was the WRONG time of the Month ?

• Advertisement

Interesting the way some POUNCE! Sheesh! Is it because they don't like to think the gardai can do any wrong? lol!

There was a time some years ago when I was out perforce very late on Easter Eve, and there was a checkpoint...

When the plain clothes man came to my car, the smell of whiskey on his breath nearly knocked me out.... Lot of ??? and told me to take documents to the station within ten days but he didn't even take the reg no so I did not do so. He had drink taken and was inebriated!

Coming back from market today.. on the Dunmanway to Enniskeane road. a car coming towrads me flashed a warning and ahead was a speed camera van.. then a few miles on,, OH NO! A checkpoint...

Ah but this was two men.. when they saw it was a little old lady they waved me through and called a friendly greeting.

Much better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

You obviously met one of our fine countries jumped up traffic gardai... You get used to them after awhile once your discs are all in date they cant really do much so feel free the next time to ask her why she is asking you all these questions...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭youneverknow

can guards fine you for having a dog unrestrained in a car?

can guards fine you for having a dog unrestrained in a car?

Interesting question. Surely not as there are so many dogs loose in cars..

On one of our house moves, we had the wee dog in the back, on cushions. Nasty man when we stopped for petrol said he was going to report me for cruelty, that the dog should be in a trailer behind the car. I have seen those and they are not a good idea.

Wee dog was yipping when I went in to pay. Always yips when we leave her and stops when we come back.

Told the man to go and pick on someone his own size.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭youneverknow

Interesting question. Surely not as there are so many dogs loose in cars..

On one of our house moves, we had the wee dog in the back, on cushions. Nasty man when we stopped for petrol said he was going to report me for cruelty, that the dog should be in a trailer behind the car. I have seen those and they are not a good idea.

Wee dog was yipping when I went in to pay. Always yips when we leave her and stops when we come back.

Told the man to go and pick on someone his own size.

Thats a polite way of putting it, I would of used a bit stronger language than that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I have prosecuted someone for careless driving for having a dog on their lap while driving. If the dog is in the boot (hatchback/estate), backseat or even next to the driver is fine IMO. Once it's not interfering with the driver then it's normally not an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I have prosecuted someone for careless driving for having a dog on their lap while driving. If the dog is in the boot (hatchback/estate), backseat or even next to the driver is fine IMO. Once it's not interfering with the driver then it's normally not an issue

I hope you get a transfer down here so. I see plenty of drivers with dogs on the lap or they do be running around the car..

Thats a polite way of putting it, I would of used a bit stronger language than that lol

This was several years and five moves back, These days I would indeed use MUCH stronger language!

• Advertisement

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I hope you get a transfer down here so. I see plenty of drivers with dogs on the lap or they do be running around the car..

When we moved down here from Donegal, both dogs were secured at the very back of the small car. Cats were in their box in the front. Lots of stuff in between.

All was well until we got hopelessly lost in the lanes here and wee dog managed to get loose. climbed over the luggage and on to my shoulders. Delighted to have found me again; she is part Bassett and not light. Whole body alive with glee.

Would have welcomed a Guard to lead me home but never one when needed!

Advertisement