Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happened to the Anglo Irish?

• 03-05-2012 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

What happened to the Anglo Irish families that used to live in Ireland?

Did they move back to England when the war broke out? Do any still live in Ireland?

How do people in Ireland feel about men like Arthur Wellesley and Ernest Shackleton? Are they considered Irish heroes?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Plenty of them around, I've never seen any real animosity towards them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

They left after the monocle crisis of 1925.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We piked a few them back in the big war just to let them know what was what but they got to keep most of the land for some reason:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

We gave them a bank and then they gave us all 110% mortgages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm pretty sure most of them think of themselves as Irish-Irish, not Anglo-Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

look at the names in ireland......and remember lots took on the gaelic version of anglo names......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Have a look in Fine Gael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

squeezed out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

They are called Irish now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

We call them the IBRC now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭cml387

Did they move back to England when the war broke out? Do any still live in Ireland?

How do people in Ireland feel about men like Arthur Wellesley and Ernest Shackleton? Are they considered Irish heroes?

Thanks guys.

The first president of Ireland was anglo irish and a protestant,Douglas Hyde.
    Mind you,at his funeral none of the then government would go into the church 'cos it was a Protestant church.:rolleyes:
    W.B. Yeats, Anglo Irish.
    Lord Henry Mountcharles, has mega concerts at his pile in Meath.

One could go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

We call them the I B4E EXCEPT AFTER C now.

fyp.

thjere will never be as many anglo irish....as their are celtic british.........ffs...don't do a swap....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Some returned to England after their estates were taken and divided up among the tenant farmers in the land reforms from the 1880s to the 1920s.

Most remained in Ireland and indeed many fought for Independence and were instrumental in the Gaelic revival - people like Countess Markieviez, WB Yeats, Douglas Hyde, Roger Casement, Parnell and many others.

Most "Anglo-Irish" have fully assimilated into Irish society and wouldn't for a second consider themselves anything other than Irish. My cub scout leader when I was a kid back in the '80s came from Protestant Anglo-Irish stock yet he was fiercely nationalist, bordering on republican even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

they bought a bank. made lots of monies, and lived happily ever after

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

thjere will never be as many anglo irish....as their are celtic british.........ffs...don't do a swap....

I have no idea what this means.

IM0 wrote: »
    they bought a bank. made lots of monies, and lived happily ever after

which one was that.......

Arthur Wellesley (AKA The Duke Of Wellington) did not really "adopt" his country of birth.
    "Being born in a stable does not make one a horse"

So we'll leave him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bambi wrote: »
    We piked a few them back in the big war just to let them know what was what but they got to keep most of the land for some reason:confused:

...and horses, so I'm told. They all have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

cml387 wrote: »
    Arthur Wellesley (AKA The Duke Of Wellington) did not really "adopt" his country of birth.

So we'll leave him out.
    Wellesley never said that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

So we'll leave him out.

He never said that himself. It was Daniel O'Connell that said it about him.

The OP is American, I believe and deserves a serious answer even though he asked in After Hours.

The Anglo Irish who had a love for the country mostly stayed on, except for some sad instances when they suffered violence during the civil war.

To give a story from where I live,Lord and Lady Donoughmore were kidnapped from their home in Knocklofty in 1974 by the IRA.
    Such was the local outrage that they were released unharmed shortly afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sir Anthony O'Reilly is doing his best to join them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

The first president of Ireland was anglo irish and a protestant,Douglas Hyde.
    Mind you,at his funeral none of the then government would go into the church 'cos it was a Protestant church.:rolleyes:
    W.B. Yeats, Anglo Irish.
    Lord Henry Mountcharles, has mega concerts at his pile in Meath.

One could go on.

He was also a nationalist i believe and a founder of the Gaelic league which focused on the revival of irish as a spoken language

Never mind that. WIKIPEDIA IS BROKEN. What'll we do now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Erm my own heritage is Anglo Irish... various family members got involved obscure wars and rows. Two clowns ended up fighting on different sides in the American war of Independence. A few served in the British army and a couple of ol' Aunts were involved in Cumann na Mban .Another one fought against Napoleon too.

The extended family used to own a large chunk of Galway at one stage .. Menlo Castle ? or something like that.

mattjack wrote: »
    Erm my own heritage is Anglo Irish... various family members got involved obscure wars and rows. Two clowns ended up fighting on different sides in the American war of Independence. A few served in the British army and a couple of ol' Aunts were involved in Cumann na Mban .Another one fought against Napoleon too.

The extended family used to own a large chunk of Galway at one stage .. Menlo Castle ? or something like that.

no need to feel guilty.....hope you get your castle back.....

no need to feel guilty.....hope you get your castle back.....

Are you serious ? I'd have to property tax on it.

'Adjusts monocle'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

'Adjusts monocle'

...and try to move on the crusties who think its a spiritual node or something. You wouldn't have enough to pay for your mustache wax after all that.

• Advertisement

'Adjusts monocle'

god!!!!...you anglo's are never happy......

i think my lot came from holland with king billy............with all the land grabbing.........how come i have none....

Nodin wrote: »
    ...and try to move on the crusties who think its a spiritual node or something. You wouldn't have enough to pay for your mustache wax after all that.

Yes , I think.

god!!!!...you anglo's are never happy......

i think my lot came from holland with king billy............with all the land grabbing.........how come i have none....

You obviously were King Billys butler.

'Re adjusts monocle'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Joined with Irish Nationwide and renamed the IBRC as far as I know.

Thanks guys.

Not sure if they are Irish but anyone who fought Lord Voldemort is ok by me.

You obviously were King Billys butler.

'Re adjusts monocle'.

still am............

still am............

to a woman called williams.....

• Advertisement

to a woman called williams.....

Vanessa or Serena ?

Vanessa or Serena ?

duece...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Some returned to England after their estates were taken and divided up among the tenant farmers in the land reforms from the 1880s to the 1920s.

Purchased; their British government looked after their landed interests in the decolonisation process. The 'taking' part was by their forefathers, and the victims were the native Irish landowners.

Today, the vast majority of them are just Irish, with the exception of people like Henry Mountcharles who want to chase with the hounds by continuing to hold British colonial titles over Irish land and run with the hares by professing to be as Irish as the next person.

The sole neo-colonial group in the Republic, when it's not drinking in the Conservative Club on Camden Row, has the misnomer the Reform Movement and is run by a British Protestant settler in Ireland named Robin Bury - this clown - whose rather touched ideas include a demand for special rights for British people in Ireland, the abolition of the Irish language and for Ireland to join the British Commonwealth. Ahem!

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Purchased; their British government looked after their landed interests in the decolonisation process. The 'taking' part was by their forefathers, and the victims were the native Irish landowners.

Today, the vast majority of them are just Irish. The sole neo-colonial group in the Republic, when it's not drinking in the Conservative Club on Camden Row, has the misnomer the Reform Movement and is run by a British Protestant settler in Ireland named Robin Bury - this clown - whose rather touched ideas include a demand for special rights for British people in Ireland, the abolition of the Irish language and for Ireland to join the British Commonwealth. Ahem!

That sounds correct , some of my own mob sold and abandoned huge amounts of property and land and a lot of them legged in around the War of Independence.

duece...........

Hard on the balls.

• Advertisement

Hard on the balls.

a good racket though...lots of returns....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Dostoevsky wrote: »

Today, the vast majority of them are just Irish, with the exception of people like Henry Mountcharles who want to chase with the hounds by continuing to hold British colonial titles over Irish land and run with the hares by professing to be as Irish as the next person.

The sole neo-colonial group in the Republic, when it's not drinking in the Conservative Club on Camden Row, has the misnomer the Reform Movement and is run by a British Protestant settler in Ireland named Robin Bury - this clown - whose rather touched ideas include a demand for special rights for British people in Ireland, the abolition of the Irish language and for Ireland to join the British Commonwealth. Ahem!

There has to be one doesn't there.

I know quite a few descendants of what would have been the Anglo Irish the OP refers to and they all dropped the Anglo bit a generation or two ago. They would have accounted for 99% of the "anglo Irish", the wealthy land owners 1%.

Advertisement