Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are we studying Geography?

• 03-05-2012 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭

Right so all through the last 2 years I have been getting straight A's in Geo, but only because we were only doing small class tests that I could study for individually. LC is around the corner and I am struggling to learn the huge bulk of essays I have.

I have all the essays summarized into bullet points but I can't seem to get them into my head.

How are you guys learning your geography essays?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I just keep rewriting mine, and really thinking about the logic of the points as I do. But I just don't know if I'll be able to have 15 SRPs per essay in the exam. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

rewritting is the way i work as well. Huge course, dunno will i get everything covered!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Rewritting rewritting rewritting.
    Although Im still in the stage of writing notes for the first time. :/
    Hate regional!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

We aren't. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

It's the rewriting of biome or economic qs that get to me. So many boring, boring facts. It kinda makes me wish people and soil didn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Learning the essays and case studies are easy enough but the whole SRP thing is a bit of a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

Yeah like me and my friend do this thing where we just ask each other random qs, and thats easy, but its trying to remember all the srps in an essay under a specific heading while writing it that bugs me

Yeah like me and my friend do this thing where we just ask each other random qs, and thats easy, but its trying to remember all the srps in an essay under a specific heading while writing it that bugs me

In the JC I remember you could answer a long question just by spitting out a summary of whatever was asked from simply memorizing it in the textbook, and you'd always get the marks. Wheras in the LC, you could end up writing pages and pages of what was asked what what it appeared to ask and you might end up with only 2 SRP's... that's mainly why I'm starting to hate Geography now. It's very hard to define what's relevant or what's not, which is why people start to waffle in these exams without even knowing it. TBH the Q's should be asked as simple as they possibly can so people won't as likely go off track. I'm in HL and my teacher has explained SRP's god knows how many times and still very few people grasp it apart from the whizzkids.

Also, they should lenghten the Geog exams, seriously. Isin't it only about two and a half hours? Nowhere near enough time to answer all the Q's for students who write slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    In the JC I remember you could answer a long question just by spitting out a summary of whatever was asked from simply memorizing it in the textbook, and you'd always get the marks. Wheras in the LC, you could end up writing pages and pages of what was asked what what it appeared to ask and you might end up with only 2 SRP's... that's mainly why I'm starting to hate Geography now. It's very hard to define what's relevant or what's not, which is why people start to waffle in these exams without even knowing it. TBH the Q's should be asked as simple as they possibly can so people won't as likely go off track. I'm in HL and my teacher has explained SRP's god knows how many times and still very few people grasp it apart from the whizzkids.

Also, they should lenghten the Geog exams, seriously. Isin't it only about two and a half hours? Nowhere near enough time to answer all the Q's for students who write slowly.

Two hour & fifty minutes.. for Higher, anyway! (: But even at that, I struggle to get everything finished on time since I am one of those 'slow' writers who likes to make everything neat and color co-ordinated until I realize I've run out of time! :(

Since my Geography teacher isn't exactly the most helpful, I was able to borrow a book called 'Exam Skills' by Sue Honan.. extremely helpful! The book gives many sample essays with actual valid SRP's in each answer which would guarantee full marks if you remember them! I'm just trying to make my own notes out of them, re-write them so they actually get into my head & hope for the best! :D

Two hour & fifty minutes.. for Higher, anyway! (: But even at that, I struggle to get everything finished on time since I am one of those 'slow' writers who likes to make everything neat and color co-ordinated until I realize I've run out of time! :(

Since my Geography teacher isn't exactly the most helpful, I was able to borrow a book called 'Exam Skills' by Sue Honan.. extremely helpful! The book gives many sample essays with actual valid SRP's in each answer which would guarantee full marks if you remember them! I'm just trying to make my own notes out of them, re-write them so they actually get into my head & hope for the best! :D

I'm the same - I write slow and neatly so to actually help the examiner correcting it but end up running out of time. :D Even 2hrs 50mins is too short. It should be well over 3hrs at the very least, considering the sheer amount of writing in it.

You should have seen my Geography teacher last year. I don't think I've ever seen a worse or more criticised teacher. He substituted my other teacher who at the start of the school year got pegnant and had to take leave, which was unfortunate because she's a pretty good teacher. Anyway this new one just couldn't teach any class. Everyday in the corridors or after class I'd hear people talking about him wondering how the hell did he get a job in this place, which wasn't surprising really... Very few people in my Geog class got A's and the one's who were good before - their grade's started dropping from A's and B's to C's and D's. Many of us had to switch to independent learning becase of how bad it was. Luckily that was only for 5th year, and for 6th year my previous teacher's back. She's a good teacher, but nobody seems to get their heads round SRP's... (I wonder why)

Do you know the shop that has that book and how much it costs? It sounds handy. Is it helping you for class tests etc?

• Advertisement

Actually I think the Field Study is just as worse. I ended up doing something like 5 drafts to get it right. It should be gotten rid of :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BellaVerita

Few questions on regional- don't want to start a new thread:o
    When showing the BMW on the map of Ireland, do you need to name all the counties in it? The sketch map in the Sue Honan book doesn't have them marked in. So, unless they ask to, there's no need? It takes me ages to draw maps...
    Also, what are the possible questions that can be asked on the Mezzogiorno? I have a few notes on it but don't actually know what the poss. questions are..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

When showing the BMW on the map of Ireland, do you need to name all the counties in it? The sketch map in the Sue Honan book doesn't have them marked in. So, unless they ask to, there's no need? It takes me ages to draw maps...
    Also, what are the possible questions that can be asked on the Mezzogiorno? I have a few notes on it but don't actually know what the poss. questions are..

Nope only if they state for you to include certain counties. It is usually just outline the BMW region or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭annettesayz

Mezzogiorno - tourism is a popular one i think

Most BMW counties are located in the west of Ireland, eg. Galway, Sligo, so it should be easy enough.

Mezziogiorno - it's usually Tourism, like annettesayz said, there's Agriculture, and Economy. Make sure also that you study the Paris Basin and Southern Spain, if you're using the Planet and People book. Economy, Toursim and Agriculture are also included in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Drafty122

any predictions for geo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Guys i'm studying Regional right now and i'm going over the Culture Question that comes up. I'm thinking of only learning Culture in a Continental Region as it's the only one they've ever asked specifically (such as in 2008/7) do you think this will be ok? I actually am struggling to deal with all the regional. Do you think if I learnt the following i'd be sorted:
    • 1 Irish Region (Teritary/Urban Region)
    • Paris (Primary/Secondary/Teritary/Urban)
    • Mezzogiorno ( Primary/Secondary/Teritary)
    • SW USA (Primary/Secondary/Teritary/Urban Region)
    • Development of Economic Core Region
    • 2 Impacts of EU Expansion on Ireland

That's like 15 essays :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Guys i'm studying Regional right now and i'm going over the Culture Question that comes up. I'm thinking of only learning Culture in a Continental Region as it's the only one they've ever asked specifically (such as in 2008/7) do you think this will be ok? I actually am struggling to deal with all the regional. Do you think if I learnt the following i'd be sorted:
    • 1 Irish Region (Primary/Secondary/Teritary/Urban Region
    • Paris (Primary/Secondary/Teritary/Urban)
    • Mezzogiorno ( Primary/Secondary/Teritary)
    • SW USA (Primary/Secondary/Teritary/Urban Region)
    • Development of Economic Core Region
    • Development of Economic Peripheral Region
    • 2 Impacts of EU Expansion on Ireland

That's like 18 essays :confused:

Leave out Ireland primary and secondary... came up last year. Personally I'll only study the Mezz, f*ck Paris :L I'd also leave leave out the development of an economic peripheral region.
    In the exam you have so much choice, you should be fine. I'm also studying the concept of a region btw. But then again you seem to be able to learn off essays really well and if you're willing to put the work in...

20007837.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BellaVerita

I looked online and saw that you can also be asked to contrast 2 european regions (Mezzogiorno and Paris Basin) and explain what hindered the development of a European peripheral region too.

Is anyone going to be using a key in their essays? i.e I'm going to state once at the beginning that LA=Los Angeles, SW USA = South West USA and then use the abbreviations throughout the rest of the essay.
    Could you overuse it though? I do it quite a lot with terms that normally aren't abbreviated to save time.

E.g. Could you use E.S for "European settlers"?

Advertisement