Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation - Flatroof

• 03-05-2012 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi i was wondering could some one help me with my query?

I have a ground floor single story extension with a flat felt roof and want to insulate the inside ceiling.

I was thinking of installing insulated slabs and plastering , but friends have told me that it is easier to put rolls of insulation in between the joists and cover with standard plasterboard slab.

Is there must of a difference in insulation values in the 2 methods.

This is a diy job with a budget but would stretch budget if really need to

Also, if i was to use insulated slabs would it be recommended to remove the existing plastered ceiling slabs- or could i secure the insul slabs to existing plastered ceiling

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Johnny-What is presently behind the existing plasterboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

sorry for the late reply

I havent taken down the old ceiling yet but i dont think ther is any above the ceiling.

I cut a little notch out and didnt find insulation , i poked a measuring tape up to meet the plywood roof and got a depth of 8 inches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

if you have 8 inches, make sure you use max 6" of insulation to leave min 2" of ventilation space.
    You have what's known as a cold roof.
    Modern flat roofs are constructed as warm roofs - with the insulation on the outside of the roof, and no ventilation.
    I would advise you to install 6" Rockwool insulation, just come up with a method to leave your vent space above.

Advertisement