Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

Thanks 0mega ill give that a go =]

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lolocheese

Edenhart wrote: »
    Nwaezy wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone is hoping to do med entry this yr and would like someone to go in together as a group. could u pls let me know. :)
    Yes I am interested - can you pm me please?

Pm if you're interested in going in a group!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There must be an enormous gang of people looking for and availing of these 'discounts' by now - the power of single post advertising.

Really, I would have hoped potential doctors might have been a bit smarter.

If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it generally is.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

2 days until my UKCAT! Anyone else in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

0mega wrote: »
    2 days until my UKCAT! Anyone else in the same boat?
    I've mine done. It's ok but I did a lot better in a different mock test than in the actual exam. I did fine though, I should get an interview for Queen's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

kool12 wrote: »
    id be reallly interested in a group booking please pm me !!

Hi Kool,

Just waiting to get my grades compared by the NQAI... so will be another week or 2 before I can apply for that course as a group. Will post again as soon as I can sign up and see who still wants to do it. I think theres a few people out there who are looking to sign as group entry :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lisa1993

im a repeat leaving cert student, i got 400 points last year (with very minimal study) and im thinking about trying to get into medicine this year in NUI galway. I recently went to the open day and found out that medicine isnt actually as high of points as i originally thought, i mean for the nursing course i want i need 470 points and minimum medicine points (without HPAT) is 480.
    Also the HPAT doesnt really look that hard so im tempted to give it a shot. Ill have to take up french and redo maths but i dunno it seems possible but i need some peoples opinions.

Im currently taking 5 higher level subjects (English, history, art, music, biology) and ordinary level irish, but if i decide to try for medicine ill take back up maths and take up french (ordinary level) . I may be able to take another subject at higher level if i had to, either maths (last year ordinary level B2) or maybe pick up another science.

Anyways i just need some people to tell me if this is feasible? like if i got say 490 points in cao but scored well on hpath, could i possibly manage it?

Have any of ye pulled up from being an average student to getting into medicine? I mean its all i want to do and if i dont get it like this then ill go into it through postgraduate.

Thanks in a advance for any help :]

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ampmm

lisa1993 wrote: »
    im a repeat leaving cert student, i got 400 points last year (with very minimal study) and im thinking about trying to get into medicine this year in NUI galway. I recently went to the open day and found out that medicine isnt actually as high of points as i originally thought, i mean for the nursing course i want i need 470 points and minimum medicine points (without HPAT) is 480.
    Also the HPAT doesnt really look that hard so im tempted to give it a shot. Ill have to take up french and redo maths but i dunno it seems possible but i need some peoples opinions.

Im currently taking 5 higher level subjects (English, history, art, music, biology) and ordinary level irish, but if i decide to try for medicine ill take back up maths and take up french (ordinary level) . I may be able to take another subject at higher level if i had to, either maths (last year ordinary level B2) or maybe pick up another science.

Anyways i just need some people to tell me if this is feasible? like if i got say 490 points in cao but scored well on hpath, could i possibly manage it?

Have any of ye pulled up from being an average student to getting into medicine? I mean its all i want to do and if i dont get it like this then ill go into it through postgraduate.

Thanks in a advance for any help :]

If you got 490 in the lc you would need at least 240 in the hpat for Galway..the highest hpat last year was 238... anything over 200 is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

lisa1993 wrote: »
    ... minimum medicine points (without HPAT) is 480. ...
    That ''minimum'', while it is listed as such, doesn't reflect reality though tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lisa1993

ampmm wrote: »
    If you got 490 in the lc you would need at least 240 in the hpat for Galway..the highest hpat last year was 238... anything over 200 is brilliant

Ah jaysus, well there little chance ill get it then. Thanks for telling me :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

spurious wrote: »
    Really, I would have hoped potential doctors might have been a bit smarter.

If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it generally is.

the-very-best-of-the-futurama-fry-meme.jpg?version=1348070117000

• Registered Users Posts: 17 standup

i did the ukcat and i did terrible
    my average was 565.. i know it's terrible, please don't remind me!
    i really didn't do enough preparation for it at all!
    i was wondering if anyone knows if i have any chance of getting in to medicine in uk now or is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

standup wrote: »
    i was wondering if anyone knows if i have any chance of getting in to medicine in uk now or is that it?

You wouldn't have a shot at some universities with that score (it's not too bad at all anyway tbh), but others either don't weight the UKCAT highly at all and I think a couple don't even include it in their shortlisting.

If you're looking at Belfast, your average will roughly give you a score of 2 points out of a possible 6 for your UKCAT.

If you got 9As in your Junior Cert, you are in with a shot at Queens for an interview. If you got less than 9As, I don't think you'll meet their cutoff point (it was 37/42 last year, with 9As & your score you would have 38).

Universities that I would recommend for you to look at are:

- Liverpool
    - Bristol
    - Aberdeen
    - St. Andrews
    - Cardiff (it's only used to differentiate between similar candidates)

There are others that don't weight the UKCAT as highly, but you need to have exceptional GCSE/Junior Certificate grades, which I don't know whether you have? If you've got 8-9As, look at: Keele and Birmingham.

Universities that you can't really apply for with your score:

- Kings College London
    - Barts London
    - Sheffield
    - Manchester
    - Newcastle

So, as you can see that it's not the end of the road for you with that score. But you need to accept that with your score being below average, you need to compensate in other areas, particular personal statement. For the universities that do not value your UKCAT result, it will probably be much tougher to get into - so you'll need to be prepared for the interview and to get very high grades in the Leaving Cert :)

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DannyDoodlebug

I know it's getting repetitive but is anyone interested in doing the M******y course as a group? The one in Cork in December.. Probs a stupid question but if you book as part of a group, does it have to be in the same county? :):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

standup wrote: »
    I wouldn't apply to St. Andrew's to be honest, it's very competitive. They don't interview many under 2300 with average for offers being 2700.
    Try Bristol, they don't take ukcat into account. Also Aberdeen I think interviewed someone with a ukcat in the 500s so it's worth a shot. Avoid Glasgow.

Hey guys just wondering how many hours a day after school and on the weekends should I been studying to try and get 6A1s in the leaving cert?
    Any info would be great =]

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

tahina wrote: »
    Hey guys just wondering how many hours a day after school and on the weekends should I been studying to try and get 6A1s in the leaving cert?

That depends on the person. If you like the subjects you'll need less. If you can retain stuff as soon as you read it then a lot lot less. Just keep on top of your hw and study the things you do in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

5-10 weekdays

10-3 and 6-9 weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kevhall9

^^ F*ck that sh*t.

I only got 515, but I think 6-9 on weekdays and 2-5 on Saturday and Sunday would be adequate. Take Friday evenings off.

And go hard at it during study hours. No staring at the wall.

Last year I did 5-7 on weekdays and 3-5 on a Sunday. And most of the time went towards exercises in procrastination.

I did get 196 in my hpat though ;)

kevhall9 wrote: »
    ^^ F*ck that sh*t.

I only got 515, but I think 6-9 on weekdays and 2-5 on Saturday and Sunday would be adequate. Take Friday evenings off.

And go hard at it during study hours. No staring at the wall.

Last year I did 5-7 on weekdays and 3-5 on a Sunday. And most of the time went towards exercises in procrastination.

I did get 196 in my hpat though ;)

That sounds better I do want to keep up some hobbies like my horse. Any tips on how to do well in the hpat? Like how many hours should you spend at practice Qs??

Thanks for the advice =]

• Advertisement

Mr.Fun wrote: »
    5-10 weekdays

10-3 and 6-9 weekends

Impossible.

Having said that I studied more than that in the month leading up to the exams. But I got like 300 in my mocks and was terrified. Which is great motivation.

But to do it consistently is impossible.

Having said that I studied more than that in the month leading up to the exams. But I got like 300 in my mocks and was terrified. Which is great motivation.

But to do it consistently is impossible.

My friend took the month of may off and studied 9 hours a day do you guys think that would be a good idea??

My friend took the month of may off and studied 9 hours a day do you guys think that would be a good idea??

It's exactly what I did and I jumped from like 280/300 ish in the mocks to 550. So yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

0mega wrote: »
    You wouldn't have a shot at some universities with that score (it's not too bad at all anyway tbh), but others either don't weight the UKCAT highly at all and I think a couple don't even include it in their shortlisting.

If you're looking at Belfast, your average will roughly give you a score of 2 points out of a possible 6 for your UKCAT.

If you got 9As in your Junior Cert, you are in with a shot at Queens for an interview. If you got less than 9As, I don't think you'll meet their cutoff point (it was 37/42 last year, with 9As & your score you would have 38).

Universities that I would recommend for you to look at are:

- Liverpool
    - Bristol
    - Aberdeen
    - St. Andrews
    - Cardiff (it's only used to differentiate between similar candidates)

There are others that don't weight the UKCAT as highly, but you need to have exceptional GCSE/Junior Certificate grades, which I don't know whether you have? If you've got 8-9As, look at: Keele and Birmingham.

Universities that you can't really apply for with your score:

- Kings College London
    - Barts London
    - Sheffield
    - Manchester
    - Newcastle

So, as you can see that it's not the end of the road for you with that score. But you need to accept that with your score being below average, you need to compensate in other areas, particular personal statement. For the universities that do not value your UKCAT result, it will probably be much tougher to get into - so you'll need to be prepared for the interview and to get very high grades in the Leaving Cert :)

Hope this helps!

I have already posted full ucas requirements before on this site. Liverpool states Irish LC not accepted on its own so not sure worth using one of your 4 choices

• Registered Users Posts: 1 groundroast coff

Any one want to sign up with me for the med entry course?:p no one i know wants do do medicine and i don't wanna fork out for going by myself!

Any one want to sign up with me for the med entry course?:p no one i know wants do do medicine and i don't wanna fork out for going by myself!

I think the online course is very good you dont need the seminar really I didnt find it much good but the online Qs are brill and all you really need and dats like 300yoyos =]

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DannyDoodlebug

I just sent you a pm :) I need a partner too

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I think this would be a likely question to appear in section 2 of the h-pat:

After sitting the h-pat the student is most likely going to feel:
    a) depressed
    b) confident
    c) hopeless
    d) excited

hmm im torn between options a and c....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 gerrard93

Ye i'm in the same boat. Sent u a pm there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement