Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

what was the highest this year?

Someone on here got 237. Could be somebody higher though, will know for sure whenever the curve is uploaded by ACER.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SupDoc

Hate to sound like a nerd but I wonder is there anyway that we could calculate the percentage increase of the scores from 2012 to 2013 and take the two away. It would give us a great indication as to where we are if you know what I mean :)

I really really really want to do this >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mdoitk33

fiddfoot wrote: »
    Ah unlucky, know how you are feeling! No I took a year out, I thought it would be a pointless waste of fees if I didnt want to continue that course, and also I wouldn't have been sufficiently motivated to study that course for the year if I thought I would be going doing med the year after. The year out gave more study time for the hpat, and I also got a 39 hour a week job so I have will have 9 grand saved by September! I think its very hard to study something in first year if you know you would be doing something else the year after. Personally, I would just start a course with the view of finishing it. If you dont get med after a year or two by all means start a different course, but at least go in with a clear head and you will never kick yourself in the future for not giving medicine a real go. Others might have a different mindset but that's my opinion anyway!

Thank you so much for that reply! I share the same opinion as yourself. It's pointless going into a course were you A) Don't really want to be in and B) you wont finish.

Did you find it hard though getting back into the study?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mdoitk33

I wouldn't call it 'graduate entry', I just happened to have a degree already before i applied. You apply through the cao and send in a personal statement (showing your motivation, and steps that you have taken to show that this is the career for you), cv, hpat result and degree transcripts (if you have a degree). There were people shortlisted for interview this year that didnt have a degree and just had there leaving cert. If you dont get medicine and are thinking of another degree think about biomedical science, i did it in ucc and i loved it and its so relevant to medicine (im not on commission here now or anything from the college lol).

Fees - the frees fees applies if you dont have a degree, other wise its ~€8000/year give or take a few hundred. Abit expensive but where there's a will there's a way i always say!! (and by that i dont mean rob a bank, lol).

Good Luck!

So did you have to go for an interview to be accepted into the Med course?
    How did you apply for this type of entry? Was it because you had a degree?

€8000 isn't too bad. I'll just be nice to the parents haha. Thanks for the reply. I need the advice of this plan of action.

Mdoitk33 wrote: »
    So did you have to go for an interview to be accepted into the Med course?
    How did you apply for this type of entry? Was it because you had a degree?

€8000 isn't too bad. I'll just be nice to the parents haha. Thanks for the reply. I need the advice of this plan of action.

Good outline of the mature entry route (not to be confused with Gradmed) here http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=112&n=202&a=745

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 han94

Just thought I'd contribute my own 2 cents worth here...
    I really think that how you prepare for the hpat is a very individual thing (prep courses etc. work for some and not others) and I would encourage anyone who may be disappointed with their result this year to not be disheartened and give it another go.
    Sat the hpat for the first time last year and went "full blown m edentry" in my preparations. Absolutely tanked it and came out with a score of 160 (53rd Percentile I think). It broke my bloody heart because I had really thrown myself into prep for it and unfortunately, I lost all motivation to study when they released the results in April. I got my ass back in gear eventually and managed to get 575 in the LC, earning me a place in Dentistry (something that I never thought I'd get).
    I took the hpat again this year but with a completely different approach. I literally just sat it the way it was intended to be, as an aptitude test that you can't really prep for. Did an ACER practice test the week before and just kind of sauntered in to the exam (actually enjoyed it as it was a break from relentless Dental Practice study). Came out with a score of 192 this year leaving me with a total of 747, which I'm hoping should just about do the trick.
    I really, really believe that just enjoying my first year in college and not getting too bogged down in the hpat helped me to improve my score that much. I think I would have gone nuts had I just focused on it for a year. I know there are a lot of people here recommending that you take the year out to repeat but I'm just saying that there are different ways and means to go about doing it and that this is what worked for me.
    I don't regret my year in dentistry and to he honest, if I get med in September, I'll actually be very sad to leave. I would encourage anyone who may be disappointed with hpat results but who may have the LC points to go ahead and try dentistry. We studied pretty much the same stuff as first year meds this year and I feel that this will stand to me should I be in med next year. Also, it is relatively easy to do post-grad med when you have a dental degree. I think it's even possible to do it in 3 years (and you can work while doing it too).

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

Fiddles44 wrote: »
    SDCards if you are over 23 you should try apply through mature entry. You might still have to repeat the hpat but the score needed isn't as high. Just a thought

Thank you Fiddles44, I honestly didn't know that. Had me wishing my birthday had been in January for once... Could've applied this year. I honestly don't know if I can spend another year doing nothing. Masters are expensive. So is living in Dublin -.-
    Yeah, i only got a hpat score of 136 and im starting medicine in september in ucc through the mature entry route so its definitely another option (i only got a 2.2 degree as well).

How much was your combined score? What else did you need to do though? I heard they sort of ask for work experience and a personal statement and stuff?
    are you applying for prague? have that exam coming up on friday.. ahhhhh so nervous .. :eek:

Nope, not Prague. I was thinking of Poland. All the best with your exam anyways! Hope you kill it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AverageGirl

The graph is up everybody!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AislingFH

Does anyone feel like being really kind and giving like a pros and cons to each college's med course?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

The graph is up everybody!!

Definitely seems like a lot more people broke the 200 mark this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Holly_C

This is my first time ever posting but I got my HPAT results yesterday and got 210. I never thought I'd even be in with a shot for medicine and so I haven't really done any research into the different colleges or the differences in their med course.
    I'm just wondering if there's anywhere I can get non biased information about the courses and college life? Is there any college in particular which seems to be more highly regarded?
    :)

This is my first time ever posting but I got my HPAT results yesterday and got 210. I never thought I'd even be in with a shot for medicine and so I haven't really done any research into the different colleges or the differences in their med course.
    I'm just wondering if there's anywhere I can get non biased information about the courses and college life? Is there any college in particular which seems to be more highly regarded?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Holly_C wrote: »

Wow unbelievable score. Well done. Trinity is obviously the most renowned college but IMO Galway is supposed to have good course structure and the nightlife is supposed to be unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭nogivingup

AislingFH wrote: »
    Does anyone feel like being really kind and giving like a pros and cons to each college's med course?

Trinity Med:
    I'm after finishing second Med in Trinity so I can give you some!

Pros:
    • Weekly dissections in 1st and 2nd year for Anatomy.
    • State of the art facilities in the Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute (TBSI), which opened in 2011.
    • Clinical practice every Tuesday in Second Year, so we were in hospital one day a week, learning different examinations, sitting in on Out Patient Surgeries, etc.
    • The TBSI is on Pearse Street, so is just off campus and very central.
    • Accommodation in Trinity Hall allows you to get to know loads of people from other courses, if you're not living in Trinity Hall, there is plenty of other accommodation available around the city.
    • Everyone who gets over 560 (not sure if this has changed with the Maths bonus) gets a book voucher, which covers the books you'll need.
    • Excellent library facilities, with 24-hour libraries on campus and libraries in the hospitals.
    • The opportunity to get Schols.
    • Best nightlife in the country, with the largest range of clubs and pubs
    • There's always plenty to do in Dublin city centre.

Cons:
      It is very competitive, but anyone that has gotten into Medicine is able for it.

I'm sure there are plenty more for both lists, but I will add as I think of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 conradmurph

I know you asked for unbiased, but I said I'd give you my opinion just incase it helps.
    I went to UCC this year and found it a brilliant college, aswell as this Cork City itself has loads to offer. A fantastic city but that bit smaller than Dublin-Dublin seemed too big and scary for me!
    Also the Medicine course in UCC is only five years whereas in NUIG or UCD it's 5 OR 6 incase you intended doing a 6 year course.
    The nightlife in Cork is also unreal all the clubs and pubs are close together and you can walk from one to the next.

These are just my own opinions and they are slightly biased but I hope they help all the same

SecondMan wrote: »
    Wow unbelievable score. Well done. Trinity is obviously the most renowned college but IMO Galway is supposed to have good course structure and the nightlife is supposed to be unreal

Thanks a million!
    Yeah I was shocked if I'm honest! Really wasn't expecting it!
    Also, do you know if UCD is the only 6 year course? :)
    Thanks for replying!

Thanks a million!
    Yeah I was shocked if I'm honest! Really wasn't expecting it!
    Also, do you know if UCD is the only 6 year course? :)
    Thanks for replying!

Galway and RCSI also offer 6 year courses!

I know you asked for unbiased, but I said I'd give you my opinion just incase it helps.
    I went to UCC this year and found it a brilliant college, aswell as this Cork City itself has loads to offer. A fantastic city but that bit smaller than Dublin-Dublin seemed too big and scary for me!
    Also the Medicine course in UCC is only five years whereas in NUIG or UCD it's 5 OR 6 incase you intended doing a 6 year course.
    The nightlife in Cork is also unreal all the clubs and pubs are close together and you can walk from one to the next.

These are just my own opinions and they are slightly biased but I hope they help all the same

Thank you! Every opinion helps! :D
    How many people are doing the course?
    How are the facilities and the labs in the university? I love Cork city! Where abouts did you live this year actually? Sorry for all the questions :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20 conradmurph

Thank you! Every opinion helps! :D
    How many people are doing the course?
    How are the facilities and the labs in the university? I love Cork city! Where abouts did you live this year actually? Sorry for all the questions :P

I only did Biochem last year, only did the HPAT for the first time this year so hopefully first year med in september :)

Am Brookfield is the Health Sciences complex it's really nice and new. The WGB is where the labs are that's pretty class aswell!

I only did Biochem last year, only did the HPAT for the first time this year so hopefully first year med in september :)

Am Brookfield is the Health Sciences complex it's really nice and new. The WGB is where the labs are that's pretty class aswell!

Well done then on the HPAT this year! :)
    UCD would be my first choice but I'd rather do five years instead of six so Cork will be jumping a few places on my CAO I think! Thanks for your help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 AislingFH

nogivingup wrote: »
    Trinity Med:
    I'm after finishing second Med in Trinity so I can give you some!

Pros:
    • Weekly dissections in 1st and 2nd year for Anatomy.
    • State of the art facilities in the Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute (TBSI), which opened in 2011.
    • Clinical practice every Tuesday in Second Year, so we were in hospital one day a week, learning different examinations, sitting in on Out Patient Surgeries, etc.
    • The TBSI is on Pearse Street, so is just off campus and very central.
    • Accommodation in Trinity Hall allows you to get to know loads of people from other courses, if you're not living in Trinity Hall, there is plenty of other accommodation available around the city.
    • Everyone who gets over 560 (not sure if this has changed with the Maths bonus) gets a book voucher, which covers the books you'll need.
    • Excellent library facilities, with 24-hour libraries on campus and libraries in the hospitals.
    • The opportunity to get Schols.
    • Best nightlife in the country, with the largest range of clubs and pubs
    • There's always plenty to do in Dublin city centre.

Cons:
      It is very competitive, but anyone that has gotten into Medicine is able for it.

I'm sure there are plenty more for both lists, but I will add as I think of them!

Thank you!
    Yes, Trinity is my first choice (I have a total of 752 so I hope that I'm in with a chance). I've heard it's a bit old-fashioned or uses somewhat archaic teaching methods? That could be utter bull**** however. Also, how have you found James'/Tallaght? And despite it's competitiveness, are people still friendly and up for the craic?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hal2013

runner123 wrote: »
    Anyone get 189? keeping mine from last year and looking for the percentile? Thanks

I got 189 and it was the 86th percentile. What percentile was it last year?

AislingBo wrote: »
    For sure ! Could get TCD or UCD with that if they went down by one or two...which isn't impossible given the demand for med is down 6% :)

how do you know the demand is down by 6%?:) sorry i'm just curious as i'm really worried myself will i get in to galway with a result of 744.

AislingFH wrote: »
    Thank you!
    Yes, Trinity is my first choice (I have a total of 752 so I hope that I'm in with a chance). I've heard it's a bit old-fashioned or uses somewhat archaic teaching methods? That could be utter bull**** however. Also, how have you found James'/Tallaght? And despite it's competitiveness, are people still friendly and up for the craic?

The thing about the teaching methods is definitely untrue! They have truly embraced Problem Based Learning (PBL), which is the way of the future! :P
    Oh, the people are great! We started with 173, and though this sounds huge, you get to know each other really, really quickly because you're always split into small, rotating groups for PBL, GP visits and dissection! Loads of Medicine nights out, as well, which is great!
    The hospitals are really great, they're both on the red Luas line, so are really accessible (though Tallaght is really far away). James's is very close to the city and is widely regarded as the best teaching hospital in the country! It's great that we're in hospitals one day a week as you get used to the place before third year as, from now on, we're based in hospitals full time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

hal2013 wrote: »
    how do you know the demand is down by 6%?:) sorry i'm just curious as i'm really worried myself will i get in to galway with a result of 744.

It was 737 last year, I'd say you're safe enough! The massive rise in points last year was mostly due to 25 points for HL maths, that was a once off, this year the point rises should be quite small at worst!

The CAO applicant stats in February showed 6% drop in first preferences for Med. It's on this this page in the drop down menu. (I can't link it directly as my phone isn't playing nice!)

It was 737 last year, I'd say you're safe enough! The massive rise in points last year was mostly due to 25 points for HL maths, that was a once off, this year the point rises should be quite small at worst!

The CAO applicant stats in February showed 6% drop in first preferences for Med. It's on this this page in the drop down menu. (I can't link it directly as my phone isn't playing nice!)

Thank you! Initially i thought the same, but if you look back at the points from previous years (even before the 25 maths points) there was still a big jump points wise from year to year. Really hope you're right though all the same. Guess it's just a waiting game from now until August!

It was 737 last year, I'd say you're safe enough!

Finished on 736 too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bittersweet Disaster

On a slightly unrelated topic, what are you med-heads putting down after Medicine? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fiddfoot

Mdoitk33 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for that reply! I share the same opinion as yourself. It's pointless going into a course were you A) Don't really want to be in and B) you wont finish.

Did you find it hard though getting back into the study?
    I haven't got back to the study yet! I have forgotten almost all of the biology chem that I learned last year but hopefully if I go over it it will come back, that's the plan anyway, I should really read the books again over the summer to refresh it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

hal2013 wrote: »
    Thank you! Initially i thought the same, but if you look back at the points from previous years (even before the 25 maths points) there was still a big jump points wise from year to year. Really hope you're right though all the same. Guess it's just a waiting game from now until August!

Yeah but if you were to take into account the points last year, the points rise was much smaller than previously which suggested that the points were beginning to stabilise. That said, there seems to be a bigger rise in HPAT points this year than last year (I think, from what I can recall). But then there's the drop in applicants. To conclude, it's very difficult to ascertain really and trying to do so seems a bit futile. Fingers crossed the jump isn't too high though, I'm very happy with my score but it by no means guarantees a place. :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement