Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Rule out a point drop anyway I'd say! Preferences for it may be down but the demand is still well over whats available, can't see more than a 4-5 point increase though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

6.4% drop in 1st preference sounds pretty sweet but I'd say graduate med students make up a reasonable proportion of that since they're finding it tougher to get loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

fewtins wrote: »
    6.4% drop in 1st preference sounds pretty sweet but I'd say graduate med students make up a reasonable proportion of that since they're finding it tougher to get loans.

Interestingly though this is a quote from a UCD press release back in March.
    Demand for medicine fell nationally by 6%. At UCD, first preference demand rose by almost 4% with a very strong growth of 40% in the graduate entry to medicine (DN401) compensating for the slight fall in undergraduate medicine (DN400).

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Interestingly though this is a quote from a UCD press release back in March.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Fantastic :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 conradmurph

Anyone wanna give an insight into first year Med UCC?

Does anyone know if many choose to do the foundation year in RCSI?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stracks

Does anyone know what my chances of getting a scholarship in nuig are with 220 and 600~ lc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Popliteus

Anyone wanna give an insight into first year Med UCC?

I can give it a bit of a go, just finished up first year!

There's around 160 in the year, but a good portion of that is made up of International Students (mainly Malaysian but also Singaporean, Canadian etc.) so there's a pretty good mix and I'd say everyone gets on pretty well! From an academic point of view you do 6 modules over the year -

FM1001 - Runs from the start of term until somewhere in November and has a 30%/70% CA/End of Year spread. 15 Credits. Made up of Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry components. The Anatomy is of the Upper and Lower Limbs, and I thought it was probably the toughest anatomy of the year loooads of muscles, origins, insertions, innervations etc. to learn but the lecturer is class and at least it makes everything else seem easier as you move on! Physiology was basic principles about cells and transport, as well as some neurophysiology and the physiology of the 3 muscle types. Biochemistry was a bit of a pain when we were actually doing it as a lot of it is new, lots of structures etc. and you weren't too sure what sort of detail was needed, but because it underpins everything else you do over the year in Biochem most people felt it was actually grand when revising for the summer exams!

FM1002 - Ran from November to February. 50/50 CA/End of Year Assessment. 15 credits. Same structure as before. In anatomy did everything to do with the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, I thought it was much more interesting that the FM1 stuff but opinions varied! Physiology was the biggest part of the module, it was a lot meatier than the last module, but it was also a good bit more interesting, so that made up for it! Biochem was looking at Kreb's Cycle, some metabolic stuff and looking at Hemoglobin, Antibodies...I can't really remember what else there was :o

FM1003 - February to the end of March. Also 50/50 as well. 10 Credits, but despite this because of the shorter timeframe to get everything done I felt it was on par with the 15 credit modules in terms of difficulty/workload. Covered the digestive and endocrine systems mostly. Happened to be the module I did best in overall but equally a lot of people thought it was the hardest...the Biochem and Physiology were full-on, but interesting!

CP1002 - Ran all year. 3 MCQs each worth 25% and a End of Year exam worth 25% too, no OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination) this year, but there was last year, so who knows for next year! 10 Credits. I think everyone liked this module, it was the most doctor-y of them all, there were tutorials every second or third week on a specific thing - Anemia, Amdominal Pain, Respiratory Exam etc. etc. and it was taught from the point of view of what you as a a future doctor needed to know - symptoms, underlying pathophysiology and causes, treatment etc. Also wasn't hard to do well, and very very possible to have passed before the Summer Exam! ;)

BH1002 - Year-round. 50% Essay due in April, 50% End of Year Exam, 10 Learning-Logs which were Pass/Fail. 5 Credits. Person, Culture, Society, it had one lecture a week every Monday after lunch and 4 tutorials with a working GP spread out throughout the year. Looked at things like psychology of illness, evidence based medcine, biopsychosocial model (Buzzword you'll come to love :P), Communication Skills - it was all of the stuff that isn't really science-y but you need to be caring, compassionate, empathetic etc. as well as the Evidence Based Stuff! Seen largely as the soft module for the year, let's just say it didn't really stress anyone out too much! :cool:

Elective
    - You also pick a 5 credit optional module from a list, available on the UCC Calendar. You can do a language, epidemiology, a research project/literature review, science in society....there were tons of options!

Mostly taught through lectures, we also had anatomy practicals every week (often twice a week) where you looked at what you had learned in lectures in the dissection-room. We didn't do any dissections ourselves this year, there were prosections available and a demonstrater would give you a really good tutorial on the day's topic, as well as doing computer learning, histology and practicing Spot Exams in the labs - I think most people liked the labs, and no one (that I know of) fainted, so don't be worried about it :P We also had a good few physiology labs and biochem tutrials spread throughout the year, as well as those CP and BH tutorials I mentioned!

Most teaching carried out in Brookfield/Western Gateway Building both of which are really modern and well-equipped for everything you needed, facilities (especially anatomy/physiology labs) were excellent! There's plenty to get involved in here too - so many societies (including MedSoc, SurgSoc, Surgeon Noonan and MSF from a Med point of view!), clubs etc. and the social aspect has been amazing too!

I think I've given a lengthy enough plug for the college now :D...suffice to say I think if you do choose to come here you won't be disappointed, everything is really well organised and everyone's pretty nice. Also, given the results weren't too long ago, the failure rate was really low from what I've seen - so, encouraging!

Good luck with your decision, but you should really just come to Cork, its great! If anyone has anything else to ask about the course or college, feel free to PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dreee

First time posting here, I got 181 in my Hpat and 610 in my leaving cert which gives me 743, would that be enough to get in to RCSI? and if not UCC or NUIG also which would be the recommended medical school between ucc and Nuig? Need to finalise my CAO list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 95Alexandra

I'd really appreciate it if someone could please give me their option if I could get ucc with 746? I'm going crazy with worry! Any help would be much appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AnswerMePlease

well, anyone know what scores were awarded scholarships for medicine at NUIG last year? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

I'd really appreciate it if someone could please give me their option if I could get ucc with 746? I'm going crazy with worry! Any help would be much appreciated:)

I think you will be on with that, it was 738 last year I think so I think it will be around that this year :)

I think you will be on with that, it was 738 last year I think so I think it will be around that this year :)

Thank you so much!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hal2013

Slow Show wrote: »
    Yeah but if you were to take into account the points last year, the points rise was much smaller than previously which suggested that the points were beginning to stabilise. That said, there seems to be a bigger rise in HPAT points this year than last year (I think, from what I can recall). But then there's the drop in applicants. To conclude, it's very difficult to ascertain really and trying to do so seems a bit futile. Fingers crossed the jump isn't too high though, I'm very happy with my score but it by no means guarantees a place. :o

I would imagine the points won't stabilise for a while yet, and definitely not this year. Like you said, hpat points have gone up. Although having said that I think the leaving cert exams themselves were slightly harder this year than last year (others may disagree on that lol). Good luck anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Chem94

Popliteus wrote: »
    I can give it a bit of a go, just finished up first year!

There's around 160 in the year, but a good portion of that is made up of International Students (mainly Malaysian but also Singaporean, Canadian etc.) so there's a pretty good mix and I'd say everyone gets on pretty well! From an academic point of view you do 6 modules over the year -

FM1001 - Runs from the start of term until somewhere in November and has a 30%/70% CA/End of Year spread. 15 Credits. Made up of Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry components. The Anatomy is of the Upper and Lower Limbs, and I thought it was probably the toughest anatomy of the year loooads of muscles, origins, insertions, innervations etc. to learn but the lecturer is class and at least it makes everything else seem easier as you move on! Physiology was basic principles about cells and transport, as well as some neurophysiology and the physiology of the 3 muscle types. Biochemistry was a bit of a pain when we were actually doing it as a lot of it is new, lots of structures etc. and you weren't too sure what sort of detail was needed, but because it underpins everything else you do over the year in Biochem most people felt it was actually grand when revising for the summer exams!

FM1002 - Ran from November to February. 50/50 CA/End of Year Assessment. 15 credits. Same structure as before. In anatomy did everything to do with the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, I thought it was much more interesting that the FM1 stuff but opinions varied! Physiology was the biggest part of the module, it was a lot meatier than the last module, but it was also a good bit more interesting, so that made up for it! Biochem was looking at Kreb's Cycle, some metabolic stuff and looking at Hemoglobin, Antibodies...I can't really remember what else there was :o

FM1003 - February to the end of March. Also 50/50 as well. 10 Credits, but despite this because of the shorter timeframe to get everything done I felt it was on par with the 15 credit modules in terms of difficulty/workload. Covered the digestive and endocrine systems mostly. Happened to be the module I did best in overall but equally a lot of people thought it was the hardest...the Biochem and Physiology were full-on, but interesting!

CP1002 - Ran all year. 3 MCQs each worth 25% and a End of Year exam worth 25% too, no OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination) this year, but there was last year, so who knows for next year! 10 Credits. I think everyone liked this module, it was the most doctor-y of them all, there were tutorials every second or third week on a specific thing - Anemia, Amdominal Pain, Respiratory Exam etc. etc. and it was taught from the point of view of what you as a a future doctor needed to know - symptoms, underlying pathophysiology and causes, treatment etc. Also wasn't hard to do well, and very very possible to have passed before the Summer Exam! ;)

BH1002 - Year-round. 50% Essay due in April, 50% End of Year Exam, 10 Learning-Logs which were Pass/Fail. 5 Credits. Person, Culture, Society, it had one lecture a week every Monday after lunch and 4 tutorials with a working GP spread out throughout the year. Looked at things like psychology of illness, evidence based medcine, biopsychosocial model (Buzzword you'll come to love :P), Communication Skills - it was all of the stuff that isn't really science-y but you need to be caring, compassionate, empathetic etc. as well as the Evidence Based Stuff! Seen largely as the soft module for the year, let's just say it didn't really stress anyone out too much! :cool:

Elective
    - You also pick a 5 credit optional module from a list, available on the UCC Calendar. You can do a language, epidemiology, a research project/literature review, science in society....there were tons of options!

Mostly taught through lectures, we also had anatomy practicals every week (often twice a week) where you looked at what you had learned in lectures in the dissection-room. We didn't do any dissections ourselves this year, there were prosections available and a demonstrater would give you a really good tutorial on the day's topic, as well as doing computer learning, histology and practicing Spot Exams in the labs - I think most people liked the labs, and no one (that I know of) fainted, so don't be worried about it :P We also had a good few physiology labs and biochem tutrials spread throughout the year, as well as those CP and BH tutorials I mentioned!

Most teaching carried out in Brookfield/Western Gateway Building both of which are really modern and well-equipped for everything you needed, facilities (especially anatomy/physiology labs) were excellent! There's plenty to get involved in here too - so many societies (including MedSoc, SurgSoc, Surgeon Noonan and MSF from a Med point of view!), clubs etc. and the social aspect has been amazing too!

I think I've given a lengthy enough plug for the college now :D...suffice to say I think if you do choose to come here you won't be disappointed, everything is really well organised and everyone's pretty nice. Also, given the results weren't too long ago, the failure rate was really low from what I've seen - so, encouraging!

Good luck with your decision, but you should really just come to Cork, its great! If anyone has anything else to ask about the course or college, feel free to PM me!

I can't compete with this reply, but just to say that I second it! I love it!

I'd be quite concerned if 746 doesn't get you into Cork! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hal2013

dreee wrote: »
    First time posting here, I got 181 in my Hpat and 610 in my leaving cert which gives me 743, would that be enough to get in to RCSI? and if not UCC or NUIG also which would be the recommended medical school between ucc and Nuig? Need to finalise my CAO list

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. Hoping it will be enough for galway! Maybe UCC on one of the later rounds. Apparently there isn't much of a difference between them as medical schools. I know people who have transferred between the two purely because being away from home proved to be too expensive. Galway is meant to be great from a social point of view but that may not concern you at all (that's the only way i could even slightly differentiate between the two sorry, maybe someone else will give you a more insightful response:pac:)

I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how much books are for 1st year med? Thanks:)

hal2013 wrote: »
    I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. Hoping it will be enough for galway! Maybe UCC on one of the later rounds. Apparently there isn't much of a difference between them as medical schools. I know people who have transferred between the two purely because being away from home proved to be too expensive. Galway is meant to be great from a social point of view but that may not concern you at all (that's the only way i could even slightly differentiate between the two sorry, maybe someone else will give you a more insightful response:pac:)

I think UCC is meant to be the 2nd best med school in the country according to QS.......if this helps

• Advertisement

I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how much books are for 1st year med? Thanks:)

Most are around €60 - €70 each. All the books are available in the library. However, I would recommend you get your own anatomy atlas' I prefer Netters and Rohen. Then after that its up to you :)

Chem94 wrote: »
    I think UCC is meant to be the 2nd best med school in the country according to QS.......if this helps

You're right, its
    TCD (51-100 worldwide
    UCC (101-150)
    UCD and RCSI on the same level (151-200)
    The full rankings are here

Yeah QS have rated Cork a 5* university, I don't think I'll give it any priority on my CAO though anymore.. it's just too far away! Would've loved to have gone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Anyone going to study medicine abroad in Eastern Europe? Don't wanna go alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fiddfoot

You're right, its
    TCD (51-100 worldwide
    UCC (101-150)
    UCD and RCSI on the same level (151-200)
    The full rankings are here
    Where is NUIG do you know?

fiddfoot wrote: »
    Where is NUIG do you know?

Not to be disparaging but it's not within the top 200 so I don't know! Having said that I wouldn't worry too much about the rankings, like at the same time a medicine degree is a medicine degree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Not to be disparaging but it's not within the top 200 so I don't know! Having said that I wouldn't worry too much about the rankings, like at the same time a medicine degree is a medicine degree!

Bear in mind that ratings such as those are based on things like research publications and papers cited that were published from that university, proportion of international students, international faculty, various things like that which wouldn't really affect the quality of the education you'd get and certainly the quality of the degree you get in the end. So I would advise you not to base your choices on that. When it comes to applying for a job the most important things are how well you did in your degree, your own research and other factors and not which university you went to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fiddfoot

stracks wrote: »
    Does anyone know what my chances of getting a scholarship in nuig are with 220 and 600~ lc?
    I'm sure thats more than enough. I got 202 in hpat and 605 in leaving which leaves me with 763 total. My friend said he knew a girl that got a scholarship last year and she got 761 so fingers crossed! Do you know whether it's 2000 per year or just a 2000 scholarship for the first year only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

fiddfoot wrote: »
    I'm sure thats more than enough. I got 202 in hpat and 605 in leaving which leaves me with 763 total. My friend said he knew a girl that got a scholarship last year and she got 761 so fingers crossed! Do you know whether it's 2000 per year or just a 2000 scholarship for the first year only?

The first year only. The scores would vary year to year as its the top 10 combined LC + HPAT but those are really good scores, well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

Most are around €60 - €70 each. All the books are available in the library. However, I would recommend you get your own anatomy atlas' I prefer Netters and Rohen. Then after that its up to you :)

Just want to mention that you can often get these books cheaper online on Amazon or the likes or second hand in the college book store and it doesn't really matter if you don't have the latest edition. Also in UCC there is a night at the start of the year where the older years sell on their books to first years, which is well worth checking out :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement