Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SupDoc

I'm just wondering does anybody feel or understand where I'm coming from? Maybe some of the repeats who missed out by narrow margins might understand me?
    I do agree with grants.... it's just extra points, the system disappoints me when a lot of people from similar families to those in HEAR but did not get into HEAR because a parent went to uni or works miss out by narrow margins and may have a lot more points than the HEAR applicant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tumble1234

I agree with supdoc's opinion on reduced points. While I support financial help I still don't agree with reduced points with regards to medicine. I'm a first time student so I had to compete with people who had a whole year to repeat the H-pat. I also couldn't afford an expensive preparatory course. These are two significant disadvantages which didn't entitle me to extra points. I'll probably narrowly miss out because of it. I'm not bemoaning repeat H-patters either before someone jumps to that conclusion. Supdoc clearly stated that he had nothing against financial support so why is he/she getting pilloried? And if grind schools have such an effect, why not make support available to those who need it instead of simply giving someone extra points? Just to reinstate, I am not looking down on HEAR, nor am i belittling anyone, I just agree that giving someone points tilts the scale too far especially considering the amount of people who miss out by a point. Also, supdoc has said he/she is a repeat student which takes a lot of dedication so naturally reduced points would annoy someone who goes through the leaving cert twice to get the same boost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

hahaha i really dont understand why people are talking about how unfair hear scheme is in this forum absolutely useless if you have something to say e-mail them here http://www.accesscollege.ie/hear/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

tumble1234 wrote: »
    I agree with supdoc's opinion on reduced points. While I support financial help I still don't agree with reduced points with regards to medicine. I'm a first time student so I had to compete with people who had a whole year to repeat the H-pat. I also couldn't afford an expensive preparatory course. These are two significant disadvantages which didn't entitle me to extra points. I'll probably narrowly miss out because of it. I'm not bemoaning repeat H-patters either before someone jumps to that conclusion. Supdoc clearly stated that he had nothing against financial support so why is he/she getting pilloried? And if grind schools have such an effect, why not make support available to those who need it instead of simply giving someone extra points? Just to reinstate, I am not looking down on HEAR, nor am i belittling anyone, I just agree that giving someone points tilts the scale too far especially considering the amount of people who miss out by a point. Also, supdoc has said he/she is a repeat student which takes a lot of dedication so naturally reduced points would annoy someone who goes through the leaving cert twice to get the same boost.
    No one is giving any points, no is one reducing any points.

Pooling of like candidates =/= points being reduced or given away

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭nogivingup

Aren't you in Pharmacy?
    Did you sit the HPAT this year or something?

• Advertisement

nogivingup wrote: »
    Aren't you in Pharmacy?
    Did you sit the HPAT this year or something?
    Yes I am and no I didn't sit it this year but I know quite a few people who have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Disgruntled HPAT student mother on Joe Duffy right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

All the mammies are on Joe complaining about the HPAT

A little bit like the Olympics and the special Olympics. It would be unfair to expect a sprinter in the special Olympics to compete in the other pool of candidates in the other Olympics although there is no reason why they can't run the same time or as you said before no reason the HEAR points would not be the same as normal entry points.
    I think I was wrong about HEAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

What better way to spend my day off than researching my chances of getting into medicine :)

Got 80th percentile this year which is equal to 184
    In 2012 = 177.
    In 2011 = 179.

Points in 2012 went up about 9 on average. Now lets be collective (and I know this isn't true for everybody) that we can give 5 of those to HL maths so that brings us to 4.

If we put forward another generalisation we could say that that points should have gone down maybe 1 or two or even stayed the same.

However 1st preference Medicine went up 3.56 %. So we'll put that at 1 which brings us to 5. So increase of 5 = an increase of around 3.5 % So we could say .7% = 1 point.

So this year that's an increase of 7 points across the 80th percentile which is huge. However demand is down by 6.4 % !!

So if we used what we figured out previously .7 goes into 6.4 around 9 times. So that means negative 2 !! Could we be seeing the first decrease in results since the introduction of the HPAT ?

Feel free to correct me or add in something that I may have forgotten. Kinda clutching at straws here. And I'm also assuming that the L.C. is behaving itself each year and following the bell curve with so many students getting x amount of points each year. :P

• Advertisement

SupDoc wrote: »
    A little bit like the Olympics and the special Olympics. It would be unfair to expect a sprinter in the special Olympics to compete in the other pool of candidates in the other Olympics although there is no reason why they can't run the same time or as you said before no reason the HEAR points would not be the same as normal entry points.
    I think I was wrong about HEAR.

How many points did you get in the HPAT if you don't mind me asking :)

How many points did you get in the HPAT if you don't mind me asking :)

207 :P

Anybody know what 198 is as a %tile?

ahmdoda wrote: »
    hahaha i really dont understand why people are talking about how unfair hear scheme is in this forum absolutely useless if you have something to say e-mail them here http://www.accesscollege.ie/hear/

That's not an email address, it's a website -_-

Anybody know what 198 is as a %tile?

My friend got 200 and was 90th %tile if that helps in any way I'm not sure about 198.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hal2013

What better way to spend my day off than researching my chances of getting into medicine :)

In 2012 = 177.
    In 2011 = 179.

Points in 2012 went up about 9 on average. Now lets be collective (and I know this isn't true for everybody) that we can give 5 of those to HL maths so that brings us to 4.

If we put forward another generalisation we could say that that points should have gone down maybe 1 or two or even stayed the same.

However 1st preference Medicine went up 3.56 %. So we'll put that at 1 which brings us to 5. So increase of 5 = an increase of around 3.5 % So we could say .7% = 1 point.

So this year that's an increase of 7 points across the 80th percentile which is huge. However demand is down by 6.4 % !!

So if we used what we figured out previously .7 goes into 6.4 around 9 times. So that means negative 2 !! Could we be seeing the first decrease in results since the introduction of the HPAT ?

Feel free to correct me or add in something that I may have forgotten. Kinda clutching at straws here. And I'm also assuming that the L.C. is behaving itself each year and following the bell curve with so many students getting x amount of points each year. :P

Your post made me so happy! And while I can't think of anything you've forgotten I somehow couldn't imagine it going down (although nothing's impossible) but at the same time i really don't think it will rise as much as some people on boards are predicting. I think the calibre of students posting on this site is very high, I got in the 86th percentile and most people on boards seem to have done better than me. Because of all the posts i've been reading I also think i'm clutching at straws, hopefully i'm not though and i'm just comparing myself to a minority. You could be the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

My friend got 200 and was 90th %tile if that helps in any way I'm not sure about 198.

I'm certain that 90th percentile was 194. :P 91st was 195, 196 was 92nd if that helps at all, so 198 was probably 93rd/94th.

Slow Show wrote: »
    I'm certain that 90th percentile was 194. :P 91st was 195, 196 was 92nd if that helps at all, so 198 was probably 93rd/94th.

My apologies! He in fact got 94th %tile (just checked our Facebook conversation)

hal2013 wrote: »
    Your post made me so happy! And while I can't think of anything you've forgotten I somehow couldn't imagine it going down (although nothing's impossible) but at the same time i really don't think it will rise as much as some people on boards are predicting. I think the calibre of students posting on this site is very high, I got in the 86th percentile and most people on boards seem to have done better than me. Because of all the posts i've been reading I also think i'm clutching at straws, hopefully i'm not though and i'm just comparing myself to a minority. You could be the same!

Well I've got 745 so I don't really mind how much they go up as long as I get in :P How many points have you altogether ?

Well I've got 745 so I don't really mind how much they go up as long as I get in :P How many points have you altogether ?

I'm worse off than you so:P 744. Really hoping I'll get in somewhere with that. Last year trinity was 746 though so couldn't imagine NUIG being that this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

734 :( ah sure feck it... it's going to have to be graduate entry so.. 4 years and thousands of euros wasted for the sake of a few points.. can't help but be bitter but congratulations to all who did well!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sherlook

In 2012 = 177.
    In 2011 = 179.

Im in the same boat, did my leaving last year got 580 and have 185 hpat points so just praying galway doesnt go up 6 from 736 no idea what the chances of it going up are though its so hard to know..

734 :( ah sure feck it... it's going to have to be graduate entry so.. 4 years and thousands of euros wasted for the sake of a few points.. can't help but be bitter but congratulations to all who did well!
    This is why I was mentioning the HEAR system earlier.........

I'm not sure if this is possible or not but can we create a poll of peoples points or estimated points and their university choice. I know it might be massively inaccurate but you know it might be fun and pass time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

^ They did that last year but really theres no point in doing it until everyone actually knows what points they have, otherwise its just pure guesswork and basically an absolute waste

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056728140&page=4

It'll be ran again as soon as the LC results are out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056728140&page=4

It'll be ran again as soon as the LC results are out.

ahh now, I can't wait that long.... :(

ahh now, I can't wait that long.... :(

why can't you wait that long supdoc, didn't you say you got 207 in the hpat? you're practically guaranteed a place! i'm assuming you're intelligent with that score. 540 would get you in!!

hal2013 wrote: »
    why can't you wait that long supdoc, didn't you say you got 207 in the hpat? you're practically guaranteed a place! i'm assuming you're intelligent with that score. 540 would get you in!!

I just have a lot of borderline friends ranging from 734 to 747 and they were really supportive to me throughout the year. We all studied and worked really hard together. I just really want them to get into med as well and I'm trying to create a realistic idea for myself if they will be studying with me. (That is if I get in but I am aware as you said that I am almost gauranteed a place) :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

I just have a lot of borderline friends ranging from 734 to 747 and they were really supportive to me throughout the year. We all studied and worked really hard together. I just really want them to get into med as well and I'm trying to create a realistic idea for myself if they will be studying with me. (That is if I get in but I am aware as you said that I am almost gauranteed a place) :P

I know how you feel! I was more worried about my friend getting into med than me! Best friends since primary school and right through secondary, both wanted to do medicine in UCD but he didn't get enough in the HPAT to even stand a realistic chance of getting in :( I might get in somewhere but I dunno if it'll be the same considering I think he wanted medicine more than me. :confused: he did a study plan for me for the HPAT and everything and we always compared vocabulary and stuff and corrected each others HPAT practice tests. (He always did better than me in practice :P ) so I think I was more upset for him than he was for himself. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement