Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Those Cao figures included grad med applications. There's also two different figures for first preference and total applications, not sure which had the 6.5% decrease, think it was first preference though. On my phone can't be arsed finding the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mcalvogurry

http://www.hea.ie/sites/default/files/an_analysis_of_cao_1st_preference_applications_2013v.pdf

Interesting analysis of 1st preference progression since 2009. 2013 1st preference medicine is rather low compared to other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Yeah they did and that was when HPAT registration was closed. How would it have gone up?

In February the figure quoted was 3,719 and in July it is quoted as 3,115 so there has been a drop which obviously is possible that people take Medicine off their CAO, while bearing in mind that the July figures don't specify if they include Gradmed or not.

So I'm going to hazard a guess and say that while February 2013 figures were down 6.5% compared to February 2012; the drop from February to July 2013 is less severe of that from February to July 2012 leaving it with a marginal increase year on year overall. I'm just hoping the 1% increase won't have too massive an effect overall :L

Having said all that I think the HEA report quoted above is most likely to be the most accurate source seeing as it separates mature from undergrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Hi guys not strictly related this, but I'm looking to apply to Dentistry in for both TCD and UCC (in that order of preference) in 2014 I'm a little unsure about how the CAO system works.

Looking at the figures for Dentistry there, it states there are only 287 1st choice applicants in 2013, which I find really low. However I'm not naive enough to fail to recognise that there will be a lot of 6th, 7th etc dentistry preferences after the first 5 courses for medicine.

So my question is this, if somebody were to say score 600 in LC, (medicine scaled to 560) and 160 in the HPAT, giving them an overall score of 720, i.e. failing to make it to any of the medical schools.

But this same person also has Dental Science at TCD down as his 6th choice, and its my first choice and I get 595 in the LC. Would that person be offered the course before me?

If that is true I can't really read into those 1st preference choices for dentistry because I know there will possibly a lot of people who have failed the HPAT putting Dentistry further down incase they don't get into med. Just wondering. It just might be pointless to read into if you're a prospective dentistry student.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Chem94

Hi guys not strictly related this, but I'm looking to apply to Dentistry in for both TCD and UCC (in that order of preference) in 2014 I'm a little unsure about how the CAO system works.

Looking at the figures for Dentistry there, it states there are only 287 1st choice applicants in 2013, which I find really low. However I'm not naive enough to fail to recognise that there will be a lot of 6th, 7th etc dentistry preferences after the first 5 courses for medicine.

So my question is this, if somebody were to say score 600 in LC, (medicine scaled to 560) and 160 in the HPAT, giving them an overall score of 720, i.e. failing to make it to any of the medical schools.

But this same person also has Dental Science at TCD down as his 6th choice, and its my first choice and I get 595 in the LC. Would that person be offered the course before me?

If that is true I can't really read into those 1st preference choices for dentistry because I know there will possibly a lot of people who have failed the HPAT putting Dentistry further down incase they don't get into med. Just wondering. It just might be pointless to read into if you're a prospective dentistry student.

Yes that's true, the people with the higher points will fill the places on the course first. Their preference compared to yours in irrelevant as long as they haven't been offered a course that they chose above dentistry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

This day three weeks we'll have the offers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kmf2012

This day three weeks we'll have the offers :)
    I know, too exciting!! :P whats ur number 1 choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Galway have 745 so here s hoping it doesnt jump 10 points . . .

You ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

You ??

I really hope to get Galway with HEAR.
    Where are you planning on staying? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

I really hope to get Galway with HEAR.
    Where are you planning on staying? :D

Galwayyyyyyy <3

• Advertisement

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Galwayyyyyyy <3

Have you sorted accommodation? I haven't as I don't want to get excited. :(
    At this stage I think only private ones are left! :(

Have you sorted accommodation? I haven't as I don't want to get excited. :(
    At this stage I think only private ones are left! :(

I decided to put it first a while back so I put a deposit down for corrib village at the time, look into the student accomodation I know for corrib it says its full but half those people mightn't even get in so you could still get a place there!

I decided to put it first a while back so I put a deposit down for corrib village at the time, look into the student accomodation I know for corrib it says its full but half those people mightn't even get in so you could still get a place there!

Yeah that's true! You must put a deposit down though, yeah? I'm not sure if i'll get in though.

Yeah that's true! You must put a deposit down though, yeah? I'm not sure if i'll get in though.

Yeah I can't remember off-hand though how much, I remember though if you don't get it they give you the full amount back

Yeah I can't remember off-hand though how much, I remember though if you don't get it they give you the full amount back

Just looked there, you can't even put your name down at this stage even with a deposit. :/
    Oh well though, I suppose private accommodation is fine, i'd just prefer student residence. Maybe if i get an offer I will head down and go to each to see if there's room at the inn! :P
    Btw, I assume you'll be taking the 5 year course yeah? :D

Just looked there, you can't even put your name down at this stage even with a deposit. :/
    Oh well though, I suppose private accommodation is fine, i'd just prefer student residence. Maybe if i get an offer I will head down and go to each to see if there's room at the inn! :P
    Btw, I assume you'll be taking the 5 year course yeah? :D

Have a look into the other ones as well, they've about 4/5 student accoms, i know some people who've booked into cuirt na coribe. It seems like a much easier place to find accomadation than dublin so in the end I'd say it'll be no problem

Yup hopefully! did all the sciences so the extra year would just be waste, it'd be a good laugh probably but it wouldn't be worth it

Have a look into the other ones as well, they've about 4/5 student accoms, i know some people who've booked into cuirt na coribe. It seems like a much easier place to find accomadation than dublin so in the end I'd say it'll be no problem

Yup hopefully! did all the sciences so the extra year would just be waste, it'd be a good laugh probably but it wouldn't be worth it

Yeah I will do! :D
    I didn't do physics but still, if i get a place i will take the 5 year course. :)
    Best of luck in your application!
    I am praying I get in. I wont be that far off the normal points so with HEAR i think I have a good chance. Hopefully there aren't that many Med applicants eligible for HEAR this year! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

With Corrib a lot of the students may not end up going. A friend last year called on the day she got her offer (Premed in NUIG) and she got a place. I think you just have to be a bit more lenient on what room you want I think. But definitely apply early if you're planning on Galway, Corrib is great fun ;) :pac: You'll make such amazing friends there, especially if you are in one of the smaller blocks. :)

ChemHickey wrote: »
    With Corrib a lot of the students may not end up going. A friend last year called on the day she got her offer (Premed in NUIG) and she got a place. I think you just have to be a bit more lenient on what room you want I think. But definitely apply early if you're planning on Galway, Corrib is great fun ;) :pac: You'll make such amazing friends there, especially if you are in one of the smaller blocks. :)

Thanks for that! so all is not lost yet! :D
    Now, to wait for the offer.... Nervous times

You ??
    That's brill, yeah hoping for trinity 756 so im also hoping it doesn't jump 10 points!

• Advertisement

kmf2012 wrote: »
    That's brill, yeah hoping for trinity 756 so im also hoping it doesn't jump 10 points!

Same as me :P

fewtins wrote: »
    Same as me :P
    hopefully we both make it then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MWatson

AislingFH wrote: »
    I don't think that's true! I did horrifically last year but repeated and got 202 so it really is the luck of the draw. :) I also did a year in college but did European Studies. :L

i got 189 so im in the 85th percentile, but you give me hope! im not sure about this year, especially with lc results. i really hope all works out though.

Lol thanks! Sadly with our C A O system there's no telling where we'll end up! Passed my first year exams anyway if all else fails biochem is fine!

i am in the exact same situation as you, i want to do biomed for the first year because im not sure about the leaving results! it is definitely possible to transfer from biomed to med after the first year if you get the HPAT result?

fiddfoot wrote: »
    I don't usually post on this and set an account up especially to write this message. This time last year I remember coming on this after feeling disappointed with my hpat results looking to see how others got on and if there was any way possible I could get in. I got the 50th percentile last year with a score of 157 and did my best to forget about it and study hard for the leaving and take it from there (results came out in April). Anyway, I got 605 in the leaving but due to my poor hpat did not get into med and was unsure what to do. I decided to take a year out and repeat the hpat. For anyone that ends up the same situation as me, don't go to college and do a course that you don't really have your heart set on just for the sake of it. If you really think medicine is for you repeat the hpat/leaving cert/both as if you don't you will always wonder what could have been. It is only a year and flies by and also if you only have to repeat one of the leaving cert/hpat you have more time to concentrate on just the one exam. I got a full time job and started studying/practising for the hpat in November. In my opinion, the people that say that you can't study/practise for the hpat are talking rubbish. I was complacent and did very little practice last year and got 157. This year after attending a med entry course (which I would highly recommend especially for the vast amount of excellent practice exams and practice material) and practising steadily all along I got a score of 202, and came in the 95th percentile. At the start of the year it was tough knowing that your friends are gone to college but it is only a year which is tiny in the greater scheme of things. For those of you in despair at the moment thinking it is the end of the world it most certainly is not. I would also advise repeating instead of going the much more difficult and expensive Science route. Due to my post-repeating score, I should now hopefully secure a scholarship in NUIG to the value of 2000. Also, after working for the year, I will have the guts of 9 grand saved which should be a big help in college. Some of my friends did premed last year and due to my scores I should be able to skip it, so even though I did worse than them last year I should have a scholarship, be 9 grand richer and still be in the same class! I am not writing this post to brag or appear cocky, but rather to show the people that are down in the dumps after a bad hpat that things can really turn around so quickly and that it is important to stay positive. Repeat if you think you really want medicine, a year is really short period in the whole context of your life but it could have a massive impact if you stay positive and convince yourself that you are doing the right thing. If you fail the second time I would repeat again if you REALLY want it, as no matter what, a silly exam should not affect a life decision like this. Those of you that are depressed with your results it is not the end of the world!

that's amazing!! i just wanted to ask how did you manage to get into the same class as your peers who entered into premed? how did you skip the year?

In nuig premed is optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gabsy

Hi guys ! I'm just going into 6th year and have my heart set on Med since childhood ! I just want to ask for some advice about the HPAT prep courses. I am unsure about which course to take and when to start !? I've already done a few papers but nothing serious and taking my time with each question. I am hoping to go to Galway next year ! Best of luck with your results !! :D also if I do *MEntry, should I take the package with the 2 extra days or just the normal package with all the practice material ! :/ thank you !

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hal2013

MWatson wrote: »
    i got 189 so im in the 85th percentile, but you give me hope! im not sure about this year, especially with lc results. i really hope all works out though.

I also got 189 and was in the 86th percentile, strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 conradmurph

MWatson wrote: »
    i am in the exact same situation as you, i want to do biomed for the first year because im not sure about the leaving results! it is definitely possible to transfer from biomed to med after the first year if you get the HPAT result?

No, I'm doing bioCHEM not biomed and if I get offered a place in med I will be dropping out of my course, beginning first year of medicine and paying tuition fees, if I'd known I wanted medicine I would have done it first year round because changing courses is very expensive. . .

• Advertisement

Anyone going for medicine and eligible for HEAR?
    really would like to know if many are doing this? :-)
    Pm me if your not comfortable saying publicly!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement