Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KildareKing

when I add up the 3 section I got 184, however on both the hpat result sheet and the cao website it says that I got 185.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kmf2012

when I add up the 3 section I got 184, however on both the hpat result sheet and the cao website it says that I got 185.
    they must have rounded up your score, happened with me too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

Hi all you potential med undergrads :) So the LC points are out tomorrow I assume!? Here's my experience with LC and HPAT. I sat the HPAT in 2009 (Was the first year for the exam I think) at the age of 16 and scored in the 99th percentile (211pts). I was almost certain I would be ok for undergrad med but sadly I didn't get enough LC points to make that possible :( So I was short overall. I hated the though of having to do the LC again so there was no way I was gonna go back to that. Thinking that I was still young at the time (17) I just went ahead with the plan of doing Graduate Medicine after my undergrad degree.

I accepted a course in UCD (Chemistry) in 2009 when it wasn't all omnibus but denominated. As most of you know you have to sit the GAMSAT (pure bit*h of an exam) to get into GradMed, which is the older brother of the HPAT. They're rather different exams and if some of ye are thinking of doing gradmed you'll see what I mean when the time comes to sit it! However, this is not to say it's impossible. Some lucky folk get a great score on their first go, some on their second and some on their 5th. You can sit the GAMSAT 2x in 1 year and similarly to the HPAT the score is valid for 2 years. Anyways its besides the point.

Now, 4 years later (2013), I completed my undergrad degree in Chemistry and scored in the 90th percentile (roughly the score you need to ensure a place in Dublin. Much easier to get a place in UL and UCC) on the GAMSAT. Was offered my first choice place in GradMed in UCD on Aug 1st and now I'm starting GradMed at the age of 21 in UCD :) So especially if you're young doing the LC and HPAT, don't be upset if you don't make it when the offers are out. Sure if you're 17 like me, you can be starting GradMed at the age of 21! (which is equivalent to 3rd year undergrad) which is the average age of a 3rd year undergrad. Difference is, you can be holding another degree too!! :) Graduate entry also gives you a chance to grow up and I never regretted going through this route one bit! Loved the whole experience and the bit of growing up I did before starting med school now.

My point is, do not be disheartened if you don't get undergrad medicine. In retrospect I think I might have been a bit too young to take undergrad med seriously. There is always an alternative route to get to where you want to be. If you really want it, you will get there. I say this because I hear of people taking multiple attempts at the HPAT and LC when you could be doing an Undergraduate degree instead and still progressing to medicine eventually instead of staying stationary (in terms of education) and just repeating the LC/HPAT. Hope this post helps some of ye who were hoping to get into medicine but didn't make it through the undergrad route (like me :) )

Congratz to all who do well on the LC tomorrow and or did well on the HPAT!

Best of luck to all of you with your results tomorrow, and I guess I might be seeing some of you guys/girls in UCD. It's a lovely and its the best university (because I said so :) ) [joke] and you'll love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

Great post! Congrats on GEM and I reckon your post will help a few see the light on Monday when offers come out.

Just one thing as an aside but pretty important for anyone else applying with me as an undergrad again next year ...
    Hypnos wrote: »
    can sit the GAMSAT 2x in 1 year and similarly to the HPAT the score is valid for 2 years.
    HPAT has changed for 2014. Anyone applying to undergrad/mature med in 2014 must sit the HPAT in 2014 (ie scores from this year are not valid, scores will be valid for one year only!) I know its ages away but its an important change so spread the word peeps :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

good luck to everyone getting their results tomorrow !!

anyone know if some one is goin try doing estimations based on the combined results before Monday ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

so so so borderline for galway! gods be kind to me on monday

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kafka11

Best of luck to everybody. What are people's approximate predictions for rises? (Again, I know it's impossible to tell till Monday). I have 744 and am desperate for Med. anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

747 which I'm happy out with, should get me into UCC. :)

I'm reckoning a point rise of 3 or 4 on average I think :D

Congrats @Eurovisionmad. Hope you get UCC, it's a great institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I have 754 myself, think I won't have too much reason to stress on Monday morning for NUIG. Happy out. :)

• Advertisement

Well done @SlowShow. You will more than likely get in.

Check out the estimations they did last year on the 2012 version of this thread by asking people their results . . . They were fairly accurate too :P

Have 745 but here are my predictions :

NUIG: 744
    UCC:745
    RCSI:750
    UCD:752
    TCD: 753

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

My "Reasonably reliable method to predict points" for 2013 is up and running again for Pharmacy, Medicine and Dental Science. It's well worth the few seconds it takes to complete and share.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85989761#post85989761

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Fert94

740... Hoping and praying for Galway to stay low but looks like a repeat :/ always next year :)

@HermioneGranger, are you looking for UCC or NUIG? So you reckon your predictions are fairly accurate? @Fert94 best of luck, hope all works out and NUIG stays low for you, me and many others with amazing results.

Kafka11 wrote: »
    @HermioneGranger, are you looking for UCC or NUIG? So you reckon your predictions are fairly accurate? @Fert94 best of luck, hope all works out and NUIG stays low for you, me and many others with amazing results.
    looking for nuig so fingers crossed !!

nope not saying nine are accurate at all im just guessing. i was trying to say that what partyatmygaff did last year and is in the process of doing this year is accurate enough . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CGMed

Hoping for Med but sitting on 736. Will have to go down the recheck route to see if a few more points can be got! Is there any remote possibility that points will stay the same as last year??

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kmf2012

CGMed wrote: »
    Hoping for Med but sitting on 736. Will have to go down the recheck route to see if a few more points can be got! Is there any remote possibility that points will stay the same as last year??
    Well i dont think people are expecting a huge jump so probably less than 5 point increase for most if not all colleges. Hopefully you can go up a few pts with rechecks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

750, thrilled! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

752 so pretty much sorted for NUIG! Delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Well done to everyone who got what they wanted yesterday and I'm sure you'll all be superb doctors. ;)

But here's my predicament; I got 615 points yesterday, but a mere 166 in the HPAT two months ago. So what should I do? Should I accept my 5th choice which is dentistry and do that for a year and redo the HPAT? Or should I take the entire year out and work etc.? I'm really on the fence about this, so advice is appreciated. Also, people have told me I should apply to England as they look favorably on the LC and won't distinguish between A2s and A1s (I got 6 A1s and 2 A2s) which would put me at an advantage over there.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

Well done to everyone who got what they wanted yesterday and I'm sure you'll all be superb doctors. ;)

But here's my predicament; I got 615 points yesterday, but a mere 166 in the HPAT two months ago. So what should I do? Should I accept my 5th choice which is dentistry and do that for a year and redo the HPAT? Or should I take the entire year out and work etc.? I'm really on the fence about this, so advice is appreciated. Also, people have told me I should apply to England as they look favorably on the LC and won't distinguish between A2s and A1s (I got 6 A1s and 2 A2s) which would put me at an advantage over there.

Thanks in advance.

Why are you worried exactly? Don't your points add upto 781? O.o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

SDCards wrote: »

615 is converted to 563, add 166 giving 729.

Remember, every 5 points after 550 is converted to 1 points. Hence the maximum score of 625 for Medicine is 565.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

729 no?

Thanks in advance.

Well the question you'd need to ask yourself is do you actually want to do dentistry or is it just something you're doing for the sake of having a course to do until you get into medicine? Would you continue it on if you didn't get med next year? Also baring in mind that if you do dent for a year and switch you will incur a year of fees. If you could get a full time job for the year you could start saving for college, but then if you don't get med you could feel you wasted a year of your life for nothing!

On the issue of applying to the UK, in med courses the UK Universities don't necessarily look at the leaving cert favourably compared to the A-Levels (because we do 7 or 8 subjects with most of them having nothing to do with med in college, whereas the A-Levels do 3 subjects, med entrants normally do Chemistry, Physics and Biology, and because it's only 3 subjects they do them in more detail leaving them at an advantage!) some med schools don't even accept the Leaving Cert on it's own without a degree in biomed or the like! But your results are extremely good, all A's is a good help, so a Uni in the UK may well take you! However the UK Uni's look for more than just good results, they expect you to have experience in GP surgeries and hospitals and that you've a good history of volunteering to help vulnerable people such as helping out in a care home! So with your results you stand a very good chance and it's worth applying while you're at it at all, it's not a foregone conclusion that you'll get offered a place!

fewtins wrote: »
    729 no?

OH YES. The 5 band thing. What's that from? 550+? Or 560+?

OH YES. The 5 band thing. What's that from? 550+? Or 560+?

550+

I completely forgot about how this thing works for a single moment. Almost got excited there. /sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CGMed

kmf2012 wrote: »
    Well i dont think people are expecting a huge jump so probably less than 5 point increase for most if not all colleges. Hopefully you can go up a few pts with rechecks :)

Any ideas on how many rechecks are successful? Anyone been down that road and succeeded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 TheZooBox

I've 748 which I'm thinking won't be good enough for UCD :( I have galway in 3rd choice, does the fact that it's in third choice have any bearing on whether i will get an offer or not?
    Cheers folks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement