Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Hello everyone.

Joining the thread.

I'm a norwegian student applying for medicine in Ireland next year. Currently I'm getting in touch with some of the universities to get them to calculate my leaving cert. points.

I see people are talking about a med entry course? Personally, as a foreign applier I'll have to do with self-preparing for the HPAT. I still hope I'll be enough prepared...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

KristineKJ wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

Joining the thread.

I'm a norwegian student applying for medicine in Ireland next year. Currently I'm getting in touch with some of the universities to get them to calculate my leaving cert. points.

I see people are talking about a med entry course? Personally, as a foreign applier I'll have to do with self-preparing for the HPAT. I still hope I'll be enough prepared...

We all have to prepare for it on our own get m ed entry online and do practice Qs

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I think this would be a likely question to appear in section 2 of the h-pat:

After sitting the h-pat the student is most likely going to feel:
    a) depressed
    b) confident
    c) hopeless
    d) excited

hmm im torn between options a and c....:p

More likely to be:

a) upset
    b) miserable
    c) dismayed
    d) sad

I hate how all the options are so similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

0mega wrote: »
    More likely to be:

a) upset
    b) miserable
    c) dismayed
    d) sad

I hate how all the options are so similar!

yeh like why are all the answers the same ?
    its like them asking you to pick who the happiest person is:
    a) :D
    b) :D
    c) :D
    d) :D

i realllyyyyyy hope its completely abolished by 2014....... :(

So, just wondering, what university would you prefer to be accepted to? If you could choose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

yeh like why are all the answers the same ?
    its like them asking you to pick who the happiest person is:
    a) :D
    b) :D
    c) :D
    d) :D

i realllyyyyyy hope its completely abolished by 2014....... :(

Is there any chance that it will be abolished? If so, I wonder what the points will be :P

So, just wondering, what university would you prefer to be accepted to? If you could choose?

Well trinity is the most prestigous uni but i want NUIG as I live in galway and I dont want the expense of living in dublin.

Since you will most likely be flying home during breaks you should apply to ucd and trinity first as you will be near the airport.

At the end of the day apply to all the universities and keep your fingers crossed =]

Anywhere to be honest! doing medicine anywhere would be good enough for me! all i want now is the points and i dont care where i go to be honest!:rolleyes:

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    Is there any chance that it will be abolished? If so, I wonder what the points will be :P

Sure we can always dream :rolleyes:
    :D

I really want to know what the story is with the currency of results any ideas??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 mmcinerney

tahina wrote: »
    I really want to know what the story is with the currency of results any ideas??

Not entirely certain but apparently it means that they will be changing it so that you cant use a HPAT from say 2007 to enter medicine in 2008. The LC and HPAT would have to be done the same year. its to stop the huge numbers of people repeating either HPAT of Leaving to get higher scores which is driving up points

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

mmcinerney wrote: »
    Not entirely certain but apparently it means that they will be changing it so that you cant use a HPAT from say 2007 to enter medicine in 2008. The LC and HPAT would have to be done the same year. its to stop the huge numbers of people repeating either HPAT of Leaving to get higher scores which is driving up points

Doesn't that mean you can still repeat the HPAT without repeating the LC? Just not the other way around? I haven't a clue really but that's what I surmised from the whole thing, though it's definitely the other way around (repeating HPAT and not LC) that's driving the points up. Man, repeating both together really would deter people, imagine how horrific it'd be to get your 600ish points and a meh HPAT and have to repeat both. I'm not so sure I'd have it in me at any rate...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mmcinerney

Slow Show wrote: »
    Doesn't that mean you can still repeat the HPAT without repeating the LC? Just not the other way around? I haven't a clue really but that's what I surmised from the whole thing, though it's definitely the other way around (repeating HPAT and not LC) that's driving the points up. Man, repeating both together really would deter people, imagine how horrific it'd be to get your 600ish points and a meh HPAT and have to repeat both. I'm not so sure I'd have it in me at any rate...

no both would have to be sat in same year is what they are aiming for I think.

well thats what they are aiming for to completely deter these repeaters

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Am I don't think they are actually going to change the currency of the results this year.

On the actual Hpat website they have the 2013 information booklet out and it says its still valid for 2 years so...

Anyone want to begin predictin how much the points are going to go up this year ??

Am I don't think they are actually going to change the currency of the results this year.

On the actual Hpat website they have the 2013 information booklet out and it says its still valid for 2 years so...

Anyone want to begin predictin how much the points are going to go up this year ??

I don't think there's a huge jump expected like last year, I think that it will be perhaps on par with this year, with a possible 2-3 point increase across the board with repeating HPAT students.

Nothing definite, just my opinion there.

I just recieved an email from UCD who calculated my leaving certificate, and apparently I've got 550 points. From what I've gathered you need about 745-750 points next year. How many points can you score on the HPAT? And also, does anyone know the approximate time the test will be held on March 2nd? (Like, I know it doesn't say anything in the 2013 booklet, but if someone's taken it before, when was it then?)

Slightly-lack-of-information-girl from Norway.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

You can score 300 points on the Hpat, you'll be needing about 190-195 on the Hpat for UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I just recieved an email from UCD who calculated my leaving certificate, and apparently I've got 550 points. From what I've gathered you need about 745-750 points next year. How many points can you score on the HPAT? And also, does anyone know the approximate time the test will be held on March 2nd? (Like, I know it doesn't say anything in the 2013 booklet, but if someone's taken it before, when was it then?)

Slightly-lack-of-information-girl from Norway.

550 points is a good score to have from LC points as anything over 550 in Ireland gets capped (1 point given for every 5 points). The cut off point last year was 737, which has risen every year but has started to level off. Personally I don't think that would rise 10-15 points this year but its very hard to tell!

The max score on the HPAT is technically 300 but as there is a specific marking scheme and you are graded against everyone else, a score over 200 is excellent (in the 98th/99th percentile). The highest scores over the years have been about 240. The graphs of all HPAT results are available here.

As far as I remember the test is around 10am.

Okay, thanks for answering. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kmf2012

Could you link it to me please as all I can find is the 2012 one, thanks!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I just skimmed through the booklet there (procrastination :pac:) But I'm confused. Like did I just totally imagine that questions carry different weights and you'll get more marks for getting a question that very few people got right than the majority of people did? Under section 4.2:

All questions have the same value, therefore by
    attempting as many questions as possible you stand the
    best chance of maximising your score.

And then I thought they just changed it for this year but it's the same story in the 2012 booklet. And I can't find the 2011 one online. Feels like everything I've ever known is a lie...

In other news, I really need to stop pretending to myself that the HPAT doesn't exist.

Slow Show wrote: »
    I just skimmed through the booklet there (procrastination :pac:) But I'm confused. Like did I just totally imagine that questions carry different weights and you'll get more marks for getting a question that very few people got right than the majority of people did? Under section 4.2:

All questions have the same value, therefore by
    attempting as many questions as possible you stand the
    best chance of maximising your score.

And then I thought they just changed it for this year but it's the same story in the 2012 booklet. And I can't find the 2011 one online. Feels like everything I've ever known is a lie...

In other news, I really need to stop pretending to myself that the HPAT doesn't exist.

I think that they don't reveal that information, but it's speculated that there is a weighting system in place.

I was at the Hpat info eve in Galway and they said that the weighting rumour isn't true but more points go for the more difficult questions ....

Soo, let me just ask again (yes, I do lack knowledge of how the whole HPAT thing works, bear with me)

What preperation to hpat is it that you should do? How do you get the "official prep booklet" or whatever it is? Is that after you sign up for hpat?

-K

Soo, let me just ask again (yes, I do lack knowledge of how the whole HPAT thing works, bear with me)

What preperation to hpat is it that you should do? How do you get the "official prep booklet" or whatever it is? Is that after you sign up for hpat?

-K

You sign up through the Hpat website. Registration opens in early November. This year unlike previous the registration fee will inlude the price of the booklet. A company called ACER produces the exam and they call this a practise test. There are two available as e-books.

Also some people do courses but none are recognised by the ACER.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Has anyone encountered any problems from ********? I have found them to be really unprofessional. I tried logging on this morning to find they have suspended my account. Needless to say I'm really pi**ed! They emailed me a few weeks ago threatening to suspend my account because a welcome letter they sent out was returned to them with address unknown. Like WTF?

How does that justify suspending my account. So anyway I emailed them back, saying I wasn't happy with the service, and letting them know I updated my info to include my address ( which by the way hadn't my address on it before as it wasn't compulsory when signing up ). I didn't hear anything back from the last email so assumed everything was ok, only to find this morning my account was suspended! They didn't even have the good manners to inform me by email first. It's €270 to sign up, and for that price I'd expect better customer service! Has anyone else had this problem?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

Eh, what is ********?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Not being rude, but how is anyone suppose to understand who your talking about when the name is starred?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Boards.ie put the stars in, not me!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement