Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Got an email from Queen's Belfast, I'm in. :eek:

Anyone else ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Jesus last time I use boards on my phone, triple post :p

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

749 in total... Praying for TCD, though that's so unlikely now.
    But if I don't get that I can say with SOME degree of certainty that ill get into RCSI.
    Fingers crossed for trinners though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

TheZooBox wrote: »
    I've 748 which I'm thinking won't be good enough for UCD :( I have galway in 3rd choice, does the fact that it's in third choice have any bearing on whether i will get an offer or not?
    Cheers folks!

No. You'll get offered the highest course on your list that you got the points for. So if that's No. 3, then that effectively becomes your first choice, and you'll get offered it the same as anyone who had it at 1st or 2nd.

I've heard that points aren't going to rise dramatically this year but are going up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

0mega wrote: »
    I've heard that points aren't going to rise dramatically this year but are going up.

That's a pretty easy assumption for anyone to make tbf, there's no big game-changer like bonus points this year and HPAT scores on average have risen but not hugely, there seems to roughly be a 4-point difference between percentiles this year and last year. I'd be quite surprised if any of the courses went up by more than six points, with even six being a bit unlikely in my opinion!

Slow Show wrote: »
    That's a pretty easy assumption for anyone to make tbf, there's no big game-changer like bonus points this year and HPAT scores on average have risen but not hugely, there seems to roughly be a 4-point difference between percentiles this year and last year. I'd be quite surprised if any of the courses went up by more than six points, with even six being a bit unlikely in my opinion!

Yeah, I believe it's going to be no more than 5. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

CGMed wrote: »
    Any ideas on how many rechecks are successful? Anyone been down that road and succeeded?
    It depends on whether they're sensible re-checks or chance-your-arm-and-hope-like-hell re-checks tbh.

Go view your scripts carefully with the marking schemes and preferably an experienced examiner for each subject (if not, at least a teacher, but not all teachers have marked papers).

If there is an obvious deviation from the marking scheme and you're close to a grade cut-off, there's a decent chance that a recheck might move you up.

Throwing all your papers in for a re-check without looking at them, and praying like hell (as at least a couple of people do every year) ... chances are slight. You might even end up losing a grade, tho' very few papers ever get brought down.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Early estimations are up for the survey thing !

Is it just me or is the callibre of aspiring med students on boards particularly high ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mavis200

Does anyone know anything about the free fees scheme if you have already completed one year of a science course? Last year I did first year of a general science course in Trinity. I have been told by some people that I can count this year as a pre-med year and therefor still be eligible for the free fees scheme. I have contacted both UCD and NUIG about this and there seems to be some confusion. UCD told me that I should be ok for the free fees scheme and NUIG told me that I would not be eligible for the free fees scheme. Does anyone on here have any more information? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I definitely know that there are people who have been allowed do that in NUIG but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were beginning to crack down on it. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 comonthecats

My daughter did LC in 2008 and opted for biochemistry in UCD starting in 2008. However, then decided she wanted to do medicine, sat HPAT (first year) and got Med in ucd for 2009. She skipped Pre-Med and started in 1st year (i.e 5 year course). I confirm she was not liable for any fees as skipping pre-med meant she was now in 2nd year, therefor not repeating first year of a course. Needless to say, i was delighted as I had allowed that fees might apply for one year.However, I think it's not a given that you can skip pre-med,eventhough she had A1/A2s in HL chemisrty,biology and maths. From memory, I think she had to look for it and was not given an answer straight away. I think some group e.g. lecturers, admin meet to access all requests to skip premed. she also did really well in first year biochem (all As in modules), and I know she brought this to their attention as well and I think, (stress I don't know for definate), these results worked in her favour. Anyway, she's now going into final year, absolutely loving it but as would be expected it's a difficult course, but if you put in the work there won't be a problem.
    Best of luck everyone for monday, mams and dads up the walls too!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Is it just me or is the callibre of aspiring med students on boards particularly high ?
    Boards always seems to attract a lot of the medabees. I blame QoL! :cool:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 71 ✭✭JackD9922

Your far more likely to get people posting about how fantastic they did than those that are a long shot off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jamieflood

Got an email from Queen's Belfast, I'm in. :eek:

Anyone else ? :)

Hi omega IM thinking to apply to queens this year can you tell me how did u get on in ur junior cert and ur ukkat thanks!

jamieflood wrote: »
    Hi omega IM thinking to apply to queens this year can you tell me how did u get on in ur junior cert and ur ukkat thanks!

9As in the JC and 680 in the UKCAT which gave me a score of 41.

The cut-off point for Queen's last year was 37-38 I think. A good JC is crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kmf2012

anyone pulling an allnighter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

kmf2012 wrote: »
    anyone pulling an allnighter?

Probably not, I'm reasonably confident I've got enough for a place somewhere, and I've work the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gigigi

Does anyone know what time the offers are out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Gigigi wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time the offers are out ?

6am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Gigigi

6am

Thanks! Early morning then so!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

Guys I'm actually so nervous. I got 744, applying first to trinners. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

Best of luck in the morning Undergrads :) I'll see some of you guys/girls in med school in September I'm sure!

9As in the JC and 680 in the UKCAT which gave me a score of 41.

The cut-off point for Queen's last year was 37-38 I think. A good JC is crucial.

what do u mean by the points , I have 6As in the Jc just say if i get 680 in ukkat how many points will i have

hi guys any mature studets who did or are doing med , how many points did ye guys need in the hpat ????????

jamieflood wrote: »
    what do u mean by the points , I have 6As in the Jc just say if i get 680 in ukkat how many points will i have

24 for your As and 5 for your UKCAT, which would give you 29

How many Bs and Cs did you get though? They're worth 2 and 1 point respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

24 for your As and 5 for your UKCAT, which would give you 29

How many Bs and Cs did you get though? They're worth 2 and 1 point respectively.

is the best 6 or 7 are counted by the way? or everything

ahmdoda wrote: »
    is the best 6 or 7 are counted by the way? or everything

Your best 9 are counted. 36 is the best score you can get and 6 is the best you can get on the UKCAT. So it's out of a total of 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

You would really need as close to 9 As a possible to have a chance (they only count 9).

• Advertisement

Your best 9 are counted. 36 is the best score you can get and 6 is the best you can get on the UKCAT. So it's out of a total of 42.

ugh thanks !! I was actually asking for my bro whose doing the leaving this year I wish he had 9 As instead of 6 im studying Dent in kings

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement