Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Last edited by borrch; Today at 12:15. Reason: Didnt realised you couldn't use the company name here, so I mean a hpat company from Austrialia
    borrch wrote: »
    Boards.ie but the stars in, not me!

Oh right ya....

Anyway, I haven't a clue about the subject so I'm of no help! Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheFlayedMan

Yeah man, I fricking hate ********. Don't even get me started on ********, cos if I begin my rant on ********, I won't be done giving out about ******** for the next few hours!

****ING ********

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

After having abandoned all HPAT prep over the past two months, I started up again today.

Is anyone aware of a 'mapping' method for section 3? I've seen it being referenced on UMAT forums (Australian version of HPAT) but I can't really find a clear explanation as to what it is?

A PM or reply would be very much appreciated if anyone knows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kundan2012

0mega wrote: »
    After having abandoned all HPAT prep over the past two months, I started up again today.

Is anyone aware of a 'mapping' method for section 3? I've seen it being referenced on UMAT forums (Australian version of HPAT) but I can't really find a clear explanation as to what it is?

A PM or reply would be very much appreciated if anyone knows :)

In Section 3, questions involve movement of elements like movement in clockwise/anti clockwise direction. Mapping the movements involves drawing on one base where each component is in all the options, and then trying to find a pattern based on this.

kundan2012 wrote: »
    In Section 3, questions involve movement of elements like movement in clockwise/anti clockwise direction. Mapping the movements involves drawing on one base where each component is in all the options, and then trying to find a pattern based on this.

Hi, thanks but this still doesn't seem that clear to me.

Would you draw the outside shape and then say there's 5 in the sequence, draw all 5 shapes in the order they appear on the corner of the shape (lets say it's a pentagon).

I'm finding it hard to see the point of doing it.

• Advertisement

Hi, thanks but this still doesn't seem that clear to me.

Would you draw the outside shape and then say there's 5 in the sequence, draw all 5 shapes in the order they appear on the corner of the shape (lets say it's a pentagon).

I'm finding it hard to see the point of doing it.
    Well this method is used for MIDDLE OF SEQUENCE questions. You draw the base pentagon and number each corner and side starting from 1. Then you identify the position of the elements in each question figure. From the position number you try to identify a pattern inn which elements are added or deleted, or move in CW/ACW pattern, etc.

Well this method is used for MIDDLE OF SEQUENCE questions. You draw the base pentagon and number each corner and side starting from 1. Then you identify the position of the elements in each question figure. From the position number you try to identify a pattern inn which elements are added or deleted, or move in CW/ACW pattern, etc.

Okay, this makes more sense. :)

So, if there's a circle moving around a pentagon alternating between 1 - 2 moves anticlockwise starting at number '1' - you would have:

5, 3, 2, 5, 4, 2.. so on?

:)

Bingo!

Bingo!

Thanks, that's great!

Also for middle of the sequence, people say that 'finding the pairs' can be a helpful method to solving it. Is this the same as the 3-2 method?

Thanks, that's great!

Also for middle of the sequence, people say that 'finding the pairs' can be a helpful method to solving it. Is this the same as the 3-2 method?

Finding the pairs is as follows:

Find the repeating patterns and eliminate them. For example, if there are two boxes which are similar chances are that they will probably go on the either ends. So use them to start off with a pattern. If there are two such pairs then the remaining box is usually in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

Should I start intense studying for the hpat now? I really want medicine, n only got 131 last time :( any tips on improvement would be greatly appreciated since I haven't noticed any major improvement when I practice for it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 geranium1

Hey,

I was going to take the HPAT last year and then decided not to and to do the GAMSAT instead ... so I have the two HPAT preparation booklets literally never opened, as new. If anyone is interested, PM and name a (sensible!) price.
    :)

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    Should I start intense studying for the hpat now? I really want medicine, n only got 131 last time :( any tips on improvement would be greatly appreciated since I haven't noticed any major improvement when I practice for it. Thanks

Couldn't do any harm anyway! I've started doing about 20 minutes a night, nothing major but slowly building up until March. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Question about timing here.

Take section one, you get a logical reasoning comprehension, and are supposed to answer each "question" in 88 seconds. It's divided up into 3 separate multiple choice questions. Does this mean each part gets 88 seconds, or that time as a whole? Does each sub question on a comprehension count as one of the 44 in the test or the group as a whole, I guess is what I'm trying to ask..... confusedd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    Question about timing here.

Take section one, you get a logical reasoning comprehension, and are supposed to answer each "question" in 88 seconds. It's divided up into 3 separate multiple choice questions. Does this mean each part gets 88 seconds, or that time as a whole? Does each sub question on a comprehension count as one of the 44 in the test or the group as a whole, I guess is what I'm trying to ask..... confusedd
    I'm pretty sure it's each question like q1, 2, 3 etc. I don't think it's 88 seconds for all the questions on one stimulus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

yah its 88 seconds every question, even if theyre on the same stimulus its counted as a seperate question. each sub uestion is one of the 44

Are you allowed bring a calculator into the exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Conor94

Are you allowed bring a calculator into the exam?

I don't think so:

"When you report to the test centre, you must bring with you:

A printout of your HPAT – Ireland Admission Ticket (with required details completed on the bottom of the ticket);
    Appropriate identification document;
    Pencils (medium soft 2B or HB), and eraser. A pencil sharpener is also allowed.
    All other items with the exception of a bottle of drinking water are prohibited. Note:
    Mobile phones, calculators, dictionaries, audio or recording devices of any kind, and bags will not be permitted in the test room. We will endeavour to provide storage facilities for candidate property during the testing at the test centres, but you are advised to bring only essential items to the test centre with you as neither the test centre nor the HPAT – Ireland Office can be held responsible for the security of your belongings."

Source: http://hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/sit/prohibited-items/

Conor94 wrote: »
    I don't think so:

"When you report to the test centre, you must bring with you:

A printout of your HPAT – Ireland Admission Ticket (with required details completed on the bottom of the ticket);
    Appropriate identification document;
    Pencils (medium soft 2B or HB), and eraser. A pencil sharpener is also allowed.
    All other items with the exception of a bottle of drinking water are prohibited. Note:
    Mobile phones, calculators, dictionaries, audio or recording devices of any kind, and bags will not be permitted in the test room. We will endeavour to provide storage facilities for candidate property during the testing at the test centres, but you are advised to bring only essential items to the test centre with you as neither the test centre nor the HPAT – Ireland Office can be held responsible for the security of your belongings."

Source: http://hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/sit/prohibited-items/

That's ridiculous. I did a sample question today where there was a lot of multiplication and division involved that you could not do in your head..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

:Sorrry to intrude on your thread all you future docs, but out of interest, have any of yee started studying, and if so, how much? Sorry once again :o

• Advertisement

HugsiePie wrote: »
    :Sorrry to intrude on your thread all you future docs, but out of interest, have any of yee started studying, and if so, how much? Sorry once again :o

Nothing major yet, an hour or two in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I only really decided for definite now that I want to apply for medicine, do ye reckon it's too late to start preparing for the HPAT?

I only really decided for definite now that I want to apply for medicine, do ye reckon it's too late to start preparing for the HPAT?

No, not at all. There's 4 months!

Welcome aboard. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Did anyone apply for the HPAT yet ??

What's the new e book like ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

That's ridiculous. I did a sample question today where there was a lot of multiplication and division involved that you could not do in your head..

You couldn't have. Was it from the ACER practise papers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Thinking about my Feb encounter with the HPAT for the second time...

I got a dismal 146 last time (I KNOW but I studied for just 2 weeks with some practice questions), and I want to BUST my ASS this year.

Theres no way ill be able to do a prep course, Im studying Health Science currently and dont have the time or money - So hows everyone else planning on studying?

You couldn't have. Was it from the ACER practise papers?

No, Med.Entry.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mayo4sam12

Question regarding registering for HPAT.

Before you register for the HPAT, you must obtain a CAO number from the CAO website.

Then when you are registering for the HPAT online you are asked for your CAO number.

My question is do you have to put down Medicine on your courses choices application on the CAO website before you register for the HPAT? I obviously will be putting down medicine on my CAO application in the coming weeks but I haven't decided what college I'm putting down first. Once I create an account with the CAO and get a CAO number can I register immediately for the HPAT? Or do I have to apply for Medicine with the CAO and then register for the HPAT?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

mayo4sam12 wrote: »
    Question regarding registering for HPAT.

Before you register for the HPAT, you must obtain a CAO number from the CAO website.

Then when you are registering for the HPAT online you are asked for your CAO number.

My question is do you have to put down Medicine on your courses choices application on the CAO website before you register for the HPAT? I obviously will be putting down medicine on my CAO application in the coming weeks but I haven't decided what college I'm putting down first. Once I create an account with the CAO and get a CAO number can I register immediately for the HPAT? Or do I have to apply for Medicine with the CAO and then register for the HPAT?

Thanks in advance.

No, you don't have to have anything on your CAO while you're applying for the HPAT, as long as you have your CAO number that's all that matters. The CAO doesn't close until February, so whatever you have on your form between now and then has no bearing on anything. Also you can put medicine in whatever order on the CAO you want (as long as they're down by February) and swap them all around as much as you like until next July.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

There will be some in section 1 (as far as I remember) that have numbers to work with, you'll have to be able to roughly multiply/divide in your head but the pool of answers won't be specific numbers. For example you might have a chart with trends over a few years, and the answers might be "In 2012 there was 3 times the number of X than in 2009". You don't need to know the exact number but you'll have to be able to get a rough idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement