Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mayo4sam12

No, you don't have to have anything on your CAO while you're applying for the HPAT, as long as you have your CAO number that's all that matters. The CAO doesn't close until February, so whatever you have on your form between now and then has no bearing on anything. Also you can put medicine in whatever order on the CAO you want (as long as they're down by February) and swap them all around as much as you like until next July.

Ok thanks. That clarifies everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AislingFH

Anyone want to be my fake friend for med-entry?? And do we need to apply to the same course?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

kundan2012 wrote: »
    Here is an article that might enlighten you if you think its too early or too late to start preparing friend:-;)
    <link snipped>
    If the standard of English on that site is anything to go by, I'd be very dubious of its usefulness in HPAT preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kundan2012

Thinking about my Feb encounter with the HPAT for the second time...

I got a dismal 146 last time (I KNOW but I studied for just 2 weeks with some practice questions), and I want to BUST my ASS this year.

Theres no way ill be able to do a prep course, Im studying Health Science currently and dont have the time or money - So hows everyone else planning on studying?

I got the ACER practice tests. And a few other online practise sets which I found while searching for HPAT sample Tests. These are not so expensive and fit my budget.:o

If the standard of English on that site is anything to go by, I'd be very dubious of its usefulness in HPAT preparation.

Very true. Someone needs to check language nazism throughout the internet. Half of these people dont know what they are talking about!:D

• Advertisement

There aren't really, 500 + an exceptional HPAT of 230 wouldn't have gotten in this year. Won't go into the same argument again that people with LC's in the low 500's can still be well capable of studying medicine, just pointing it out that getting 600 doesn't necessarily make you any better.

Keep practicing the HPAT questions, and be aware that sample questions and tests aren't always realistic. I have no personal experience of any sample questions other than the official HPAT booklet (which is the closest you will get to proper questions) but results given to you by any other agency can't be all that reliable as the marking scheme of the HPAT has never been released.

Other than sample questions, is there any text books available for HPAT prep? I mean any strategy guides, guidelines, tactics to handle the 3 sections and other basic reading stuff? I found none in amazon or ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

After thinking a lot about I've decided this year just isn't the time for me to do the HPAT, like I've 8 HL subjects and I feel totally overwhelmed by that already, the HPAT and all the preparation associated with it would just be too much. What I'm planning on doing is hopefully doing a great leaving, getting into another science or healthcare course and then do the HPAT next year if I still want to do Medicine, and if I REALLY want to do medicine then I suppose I could do Graduate Medicine also.
    I'm also lucky as I've age on my side, I'll only be 17 in January so holding it off for a year wouldn't even make me old compared to others!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Hello future docs, :p
    So all you geniuses :D I was wondering if any of you could give me a bit of info please, if it's ok. So I know the aim for all of yee is to get a perfect hpat and a perfect leaving cert, get to uni, graduate from med and be a doctor. However would anyone be able to tell me if you know, whats this whole thing of doing a year of college and transferring to college? Sorry for intruding (again) :o. Oh and thanks in advance :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

After thinking a lot about I've decided this year just isn't the time for me to do the HPAT, like I've 8 HL subjects and I feel totally overwhelmed by that already, the HPAT and all the preparation associated with it would just be too much. What I'm planning on doing is hopefully doing a great leaving, getting into another science or healthcare course and then do the HPAT next year if I still want to do Medicine, and if I REALLY want to do medicine then I suppose I could do Graduate Medicine also.
    I'm also lucky as I've age on my side, I'll only be 17 in January so holding it off for a year wouldn't even make me old compared to others!

To be honest I think you should go for it with little to no preparation rather than not do the HPAT at all, if you think that you want to do medicine. Even if you don't do that well, the experience of having been in the situation once and sitting an actual exam (prep course material, whatever they say, have no access to real exam questions) will stand to you if you decide to do it again next year while in college. Graduate medicine is very expensive, after the expense of doing one course already it might be a lot to spend another 4 years with no income.

I did the HPAT with no preparation apart from going over the official ACER book so don't feel like you can't do the exam if you haven't put in hours of preparation. No harm (aside from the cost) in having an extra go for experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Graduate Medicine is always something I have considered doing, is it really that expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Hello future docs, :p
    So all you geniuses :D I was wondering if any of you could give me a bit of info please, if it's ok. So I know the aim for all of yee is to get a perfect hpat and a perfect leaving cert, get to uni, graduate from med and be a doctor. However would anyone be able to tell me if you know, whats this whole thing of doing a year of college and transferring to college? Sorry for intruding (again) :o. Oh and thanks in advance :cool:

I have heard of people saying that it is another way into medicine, but i have never heard anyone who actually has gotten in that way. I really don't think that it is a possible path into med, anyone who has transfered from a different course into med repeated the hpat, i think, or their points went up with the extra for HL maths. Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

Graduate Medicine is always something I have considered doing, is it really that expensive?

Fees alone are around 15,000 a year, i think, plus accomodation and living expenses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

However would anyone be able to tell me if you know, whats this whole thing of doing a year of college and transferring to college? Sorry for intruding (again) :o. Oh and thanks in advance :cool:

Do you mean moving from one course to medicine? You can't do a transfer, you have to reapply to the CAO as if you were in Leaving Cert, and re-sit the HPAT. There's no course that allows you to swap over to medicine (afaik) so you just have to reapply as normal.

There's a graduate medicine forum here which will have all the information on the GAMSAT and the course. According to the Fees page for UCD its about €14,000 a year.

You also have to have had a 2.1 in your original degree and sit the GAMSAT.

Do you mean moving from one course to medicine? You can't do a transfer, you have to reapply to the CAO as if you were in Leaving Cert, and re-sit the HPAT. There's no course that allows you to swap over to medicine (afaik) so you just have to reapply as normal.

There's a graduate medicine forum here which will have all the information on the GAMSAT and the course. According to the Fees page for UCD its about €14,000 a year.

You also have to have had a 2.1 in your original degree and sit the GAMSAT.
    I suppose there are lot many subjects in GAMSAT. There are Humanities, Chemistry, Biology and Physics as separate sections. In addition one has to wriite an essay. It requires better preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Is anyone doing (or done) the course with ca***r se***ces?

Is so how does it compare to other prep courses and is it worth doing ??

I have heard of people saying that it is another way into medicine, but i have never heard anyone who actually has gotten in that way. I really don't think that it is a possible path into med, anyone who has transfered from a different course into med repeated the hpat, i think, or their points went up with the extra for HL maths. Hope this helps :)

Thanks for clearing that up you guys :cool:

Fees alone are around 15,000 a year, i think, plus accomodation and living expenses

ARE YOU SERIOUS?! :eek: That's shocking!

You can earn that much from a single heart surgery. A busy bee surgeon performs several surgeries in a day. So have a little foresight my friend:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

What did you think it would cost to train a doctor? :confused: That's why there's such competition for the undergrad route.

To be honest I think you should go for it with little to no preparation rather than not do the HPAT at all, if you think that you want to do medicine. Even if you don't do that well, the experience of having been in the situation once and sitting an actual exam (prep course material, whatever they say, have no access to real exam questions) will stand to you if you decide to do it again next year while in college. Graduate medicine is very expensive, after the expense of doing one course already it might be a lot to spend another 4 years with no income.

I did the HPAT with no preparation apart from going over the official ACER book so don't feel like you can't do the exam if you haven't put in hours of preparation. No harm (aside from the cost) in having an extra go for experience.

You are absolutely correct. It is said that if someone is asked to walk on a 6 inches broad wall he might take 2-3 steps without falling. But if that same person is asked to cross a 1 foot broad platform placed between two sky-scrappers he wouldn't dare take a single step. Its not the difficulty, but the stress that ruins everything on the D-day.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Have people started doing much prep for this yet? Seems a bit quiet in here altogether :p

Has ACER changed the practise test booklets this year?

What did you think it would cost to train a doctor? :confused: That's why there's such competition for the undergrad route.

Well how on earth is anyone suppose to be able to come up with that sort of money, and being in full time education?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Well how on earth is anyone suppose to be able to come up with that sort of money, and being if full time education?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Very few people pay it upfront, most take out a loan or they work for a few years in whatever degree they first got build up some money and then do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aimsywamesy

Can anyone be my fake friend please for med entry?
    we don't have to go on the same date or anything just say each others name..
    Once i get someones name i'll be applying straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AislingFH

Can anyone be my fake friend please for med entry?
    we don't have to go on the same date or anything just say each others name..
    Once i get someones name i'll be applying straight away!
    Have sent PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

Some section 3 questions absolutely give me a headache

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Glitt_123 wrote: »

Problem solving questions in Section 1 do that to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Glitt_123 wrote: »

Pick The Middle questions genuinely make me want to have an emotional breakdown.

• Advertisement

Come, join us, join the dark side and partake in the mystery thread that is "POP QUIZ" Refresh your knowledge of all things LC :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement