Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JackMyBoy

Hey everyone. Is anyone interested in doing the ME course on the 29/30th January in Griffith college? If so, PM me about the group discount. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

JackMyBoy wrote: »
    Hey everyone. Is anyone interested in doing the ME course on the 29/30th January in Griffith college? If so, PM me about the group discount. Thanks

Griffith College have a HPAT course?

Griffith College have a HPAT course?

M*dEntry have several courses throughout the country. Griffith college hosts a couple of them. The one the week after New Year's is booked up though.

M*dEntry have several courses throughout the country. Griffith college hosts a couple of them. The one the week after New Year's is booked up though.

Ah okay with M*dEntry. I thought you meant something else never mind. Is there a time limit on when you can purchase the M*dEntry course? As in, is it possible to purchase it sometime in the start of Summer?

Ah okay with M*dEntry. I thought you meant something else never mind. Is there a time limit on when you can purchase the M*dEntry course? As in, is it possible to purchase it sometime in the start of Summer?

Eh, I'm not sure actually, sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 qazokm

Hey! I'm new to this so I don't know how to pm but I can reply to one lol..but if you're interested in the group discount pm me and we can sort it out! If you're in I think we may have a group of three!!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

I was wondering, say if my HPAT score this year isn't high enough for medicine but my LC points were high enough, could I repeat the HPAT next year and combine it with this years points or do the HPAT and LC have to be sat in the same year? Sorry if I worded that badly!

I was wondering, say if my HPAT score this year isn't high enough for medicine but my LC points were high enough, could I repeat the HPAT next year and combine it with this years points or do the HPAT and LC have to be sat in the same year? Sorry if I worded that badly!

Yeah you can use the HPAT results the year you do your LC and next year (if you repeat it), so it can be used for 2 years with your LC, but only 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Assuming everybody got top marks in the LC (560), how much percentile would you need for medicine? As in would everyone in the 80 percentile and upwards make it or is it 90 percentile?

Why bother with such an unrealistic scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Section 2 percentiles are so weird. One mark off what I got in another exam and thirty less percentiles...eeek.

On the plus side, 98th in section 1. :D (Seeing as I finished S2 15 minutes early I think I can take a small break before this confidence shattering:p)

• Advertisement

finality wrote: »

Why bother with such an unrealistic scenario?

It's not unrealistic. It's realistic it anything. The point I'm making is that only people in the 90 percentile and upwards will make it in medicine, HPAT wise, as you need to be above average and the average is 181, so regardless of if you got 550-565 (which is max), you won't make medicine without 90 percentile or 80 upwards (I'm not sure). That's why I said assume everybody got the highest, what would you need in order to make medicine, HPAT wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

It's not unrealistic. It's realistic it anything. The point I'm making is that only people in the 90 percentile and upwards will make it in medicine, HPAT wise, as you need to be above average and the average is 181, so regardless of if you got 550-565 (which is max), you won't make medicine without 90 percentile or 80 upwards (I'm not sure). That's why I said assume everybody got the highest, what would you need in order to make medicine, HPAT wise.

The point I'm making is that everyone who gets high hpat points doesn't get high leaving cert points, and vice versa.
    also 181 is definitely not the average hpat score - it's around 160.
    This year galway was 737, so to get that with a perfect leaving cert you'd need 172 in the hpat. This was the 73rd percentile this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Slow Show wrote: »
    Section 2 percentiles are so weird. One mark off what I got in another exam and thirty less percentiles...eeek.

On the plus side, 98th in section 1. :D (Seeing as I finished S2 15 minutes early I think I can take a small break before this confidence shattering:p)

Woah.. that is seriously impressive! Well done, I'm green with envy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

finality wrote: »
    The point I'm making is that everyone who gets high hpat points doesn't get high leaving cert points, and vice versa.
    also 181 is definitely not the average hpat score - it's around 160.
    This year galway was 737, so to get that with a perfect leaving cert you'd need 172 in the hpat. This was the 73rd percentile this year.

Thanks for that, very interesting (and relieving! :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

On the same topic as finality is mentioning, someone in UCD medicine this year got 535 LC points and the minimum combined points required were 745*, so they must have gotten 210 or more in the HPAT. It can be biased towards one or the other, or it can be in the middle. You could, in theory, get in with 480 LC points and not get in with 625.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I know someone who got 540 in the Leaving Cert but over 200 in the HPAT and got in. Also another person got 525 and got in. So it is possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

0mega wrote: »
    Woah.. that is seriously impressive! Well done, I'm green with envy. :D

Well if it makes a difference s3 only went slightly less diabolically bad than usual. :p As in at least they told me my percentile this time. But thanks! Whether I can repeat this feat in the real thing will be another story. 3 months today. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Slow Show wrote: »

Well if it makes a difference s3 only went slightly less diabolically bad than usual. :p As in at least they told me my percentile this time. But thanks! Whether I can repeat this feat in the real thing will be another story. 3 months today. :/
    First you come out with amazing results and then you tell us how long it is until the exam? Please stop :( gahhhh
    Also my section 2 scored fluctuate too, foolishly did a s2 exam when not in the best of moods and dropped by like 30 percentile :P

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Did anyone do their Leaving Cert last year and apply to the Cao again for medicine this year?

They didn't seem to take my results into account yet or does this happen later on in the year?

Anyone in the same predicament?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MyronGaines

qazokm wrote: »
    Hi guys can I please join your group discount? :)
    laurenl123 wrote: »
    I defo am:) Pm me there because i'm not sure how this yolk works:S

Count me in too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 qazokm

Count me in too

hey! will pm you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 laurenl123

Anyone know what the courses done by career services are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Anyone know what the courses done by career services are like?

I haven't done them but thinking of signing up. I like the idea of the paper to work on. Also they had the top scoring candidate two years ago. Where are you thinking of doing the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I haven't done them but thinking of signing up. I like the idea of the paper to work on. Also they had the top scoring candidate two years ago. Where are you thinking of doing the course?

I'm thinking of doing it to. I'd do it in Galway but I kinda wanna go to the RCSI open day, so might have to go to Sligo the following day instead. Haven't decided yet. You?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

might have to go to Sligo

Are you from Sligo?

Mayo

Yep the course is much cheaper than ME as well, hate to be scabby but it's true:) I'm thinking of Galway, did either of you get a voucher for the course from school?

Yep the course is much cheaper than ME as well, hate to be scabby but it's true:) I'm thinking of Galway, did either of you get a voucher for the course from school?

I'm in NUIG. However, I'll get my brother to ask the guidance teacher for it :p What is it?

Definitely do! 50euro off the original price:)

• Advertisement

Ta :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement