Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Hey I'm getting sort of desperate now, does anyone have a group I could join, or alternatively does anyone need a group, as I need a partner ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I'd love to do the hpat, just for the craic. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I'd love to do the hpat, just for the craic. :P

Its not even fun to do though..... It would be nice to do it I guess if it didn't have an affect on my future career......

But other than for that reason, I wouldn't go off doing it in my spare time or anything :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

0mega wrote: »

Are you just trying to wind us up?

Not at all, what would be the point in that?

Just saying, don't be overconfident. I know a guy who got consistent 98th percentiles in ******** tests and got the 64th in the exam..

Thanks, I'll keep that mind.

I was gonna say.

It isn't that crazy to imagine someone doing good in his HPAT, is it?

As if you need to improve on that!

Thanks lol

Did you sign up for Med Entry in fifth year?

Yeah Ashfield, Insitute and ME. I'll do it next year too most likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah Ashfield, Insitute and ME. I'll do it next year too most likely.

Wow that explains it then. Well done. Wish I could do all those :/ that's a lot of material like.

• Advertisement

I was doing my first full practice test, I was going so well with section 1 and 2, both 80th percentile and then BAM section 3 0-20th percentile :( so disheartening! I know which one I need to seriously work on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 butterfli

PM me if you're interested in one on one HPAT grinds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GoldenPoppy

butterfli wrote: »
    PM me if you're interested in one on one HPAT grinds :)

Would you have any study notes on the HPAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Would you have any study notes on the HPAT?

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 9 laurenl123

Hey just wondering are ye all going out now and then?:) I'm feeling awful guilty when I plan for some time out with my friends:( Are ye all doing the same or is it just study, study, study...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

laurenl123 wrote: »
    Hey just wondering are ye all going out now and then?:) I'm feeling awful guilty when I plan for some time out with my friends:( Are ye all doing the same or is it just study, study, study...

Naah, ya need a break now and then. Gotta enjoy being young and carefree too. Be completely into your studying when you are, then completely away from it when you go have fun with friends. That's the best for me, and so far so good :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cupertinokiid

Ive been looking at med from every angle, including the really unwarranted hype around it on the internet and in just in general. Also taking into account the very poignant reality that we aren't all going to get the course ( not trying to be pessimistic but realistic! ) , its simple maths like! Picture this ; you open your results on the day and realize that no , you have in fact not got enough points and could not possibly get into medicine and you were so certain it really is what you want to commit your life to......what does one do? I mean really, i know it would personally have a hugely negative impact on me! I really cant imagine doing anything else. Would anyone consider doing graduate medicine? or is it all really worth it ? ......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Ive been looking at med from every angle, including the really unwarranted hype around it on the internet and in just in general. Also taking into account the very poignant reality that we aren't all going to get the course ( not trying to be pessimistic but realistic! ) , its simple maths like! Picture this ; you open your results on the day and realize that no , you have in fact not got enough points and could not possibly get into medicine and you were so certain it really is what you want to commit your life to......what does one do? I mean really, i know it would personally have a hugely negative impact on me! I really cant imagine doing anything else. Would anyone consider doing graduate medicine? or is it all really worth it ? ......

I am, sort of, I'd never get the points in a million years for under grad., even if I repeated. Fees for grad med are a little less in the UK than they are here, but still, I'm not quite sure.

I feel the same, my hpat wasn't good enough last year. I went and did Biomed for a couple of months but was really unhappy, was then given the opportunity to change and I did another course for a few weeks but in the end just moved home to study hpat :/ If I don't get it this year I guess I'll just have to take it seriously and go do Biochem or something if I like it or not, but the thought of doing a course I don't really wanna do just so I can get into huge debt after graduating and start another course is sorta heartbreaking :(
    HugsiePie wrote: »
    I am, sort of, I'd never get the points in a million years for under grad., even if I repeated. Fees for grad med are a little less in the UK than they are here, but still, I'm not quite sure.

I thought I wouldn't get the LC points either, but I went up about 300 from my mocks :p I left school in April and just went for it, it was so worth it in the end, if I can do it anybody can :p

It's strange to think that in other countries like the US etc. Grad med is considered the standard entry route into medicine and grad med places way out number undergrad places. Even if you have to take grad route entry and start medicine when you're 23 there's always gonna be a couple of people in your class who are like 40 anyway :p

F**k sake, ME have cancelled this weekends course in Cork, that was the last Cork course so now I decide on either going downgrading to a distance package or doing one in either Galway or Dublin

CORRECTION: They are organising an alternative date, so that isn't too bad!

Got my email from ME about my predicted percentile for the real exam. 90-95th percentile :confused:

Do a lot of people get that score or what? A bit suprising for me as I've done 6 of their mocks online now and haven't come close to scoring that in any section.

Any stories of them being accurate/inaccurate for previous customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 thamesgbaski

I am from UK and I don't really understand the CAO points calculation. Please can someone help? This are my GCE A level grades:

Chemistry A*, Maths A*, Physics A*, Biology A.

Please, what is my CAO points? Is it 563?

And how do people prepare for HPAT? Are there textbooks that help? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Got mine today too, but err I think it's based off the practice exam you do at the workshop? Dunno how much faith to put in mine, apparently section 3 is my strongest and 1 my weakest, which is the complete opposite of the truth tbh. :p I was predicted 70-80 which would require a stellar LC but I've improved immeasurably in S1 since then so I'm hoping for higher in the real thing!

I am from UK and I don't really understand the CAO points calculation. Please can someone help? This are my GCE A level grades:

According to UCD you would have a total of 610, but obviously for the medicine every 5 points over 550 counts for 1, so that would leave you with 562 plus then your HPAT score, does that make sense?

Most people sign up for preparation courses, some of them are online based, the main warning is that they don't come cheap! You'll find them fairly easily with a simple Google. The most popular one that people do, I'm not allowed mention by name on here but PM me if you can't find it!

EDIT: My mistake I forgot to add the 25 extra points for maths, so you would add on 25 points but seeing as they're over the 550 threshold that would actually only count as 5 so you actually got in total 562

I don't really know how to calculate them properly but from counting them up quickly there I came to 562.

I worked it as Maths 175, Chem 150, Physics 150 Bio 135 which is 610 - 550 is 60 divided by 5 is 12 so 550+12 is 562. - But I could be totally wrong.

Congratulations on your A levels savage stuff.

You should order the acer hpat practise booklets for sure, there are controversial prep courses too read this whole thread and last years one you'll dig up loads of stuff.

• Advertisement

According to UCD you would have a total of 585, but obviously for the medicine every 5 points over 550 counts for 1, so that would leave you with 557 plus then your HPAT score, does that make sense?

Do they get 175 for an A* in Maths?

Do they get 175 for an A* in Maths?

Yeah your right, I only noticed there that the UCD thing doesn't that into account, so we both actually do have the same answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 thamesgbaski

I don't really know how to calculate them properly but from counting them up quickly there I came to 562.

I worked it as Maths 175, Chem 150, Physics 150 Bio 135 which is 610 - 550 is 60 divided by 5 is 12 so 550+12 is 562. - But I could be totally wrong.

Congratulations on your A levels savage stuff.

You should order the acer hpat practise booklets for sure, there are controversial prep courses too read this whole thread and last years one you'll dig up loads of stuff.

Thanks. Is 565 the highest CAO point possible and is my point competitive when compared to other candidates. I know HPAT adds to it as well - is 190+ in HPAT a very difficult task? Thanks.

Thanks. Is 565 the highest CAO point possible and is my point competitive when compared to other candidates. I know HPAT adds to it as well - is 190+ in HPAT a very difficult task? Thanks.

Yeah 565 is the highest, yours is extremely good, adecent performance in the HPAT should get you there.

Without a doubt 190 is tough! It equates to about 90th percentile in the 2012 results, the important thing about the HPAT is your percentile. Nobody actually knows how they mark it or how the give your marks out of 300 but your percentile is the important factor. Who knows, everyone might get 220 up this year it wouldn't make any difference as the percentiles would all shift upwards and 220 might only be 40th percentile!

Thanks. Is 565 the highest CAO point possible and is my point competitive when compared to other candidates.

Yeah 565 is the max you can get, 562 is right up the top end.
    I know HPAT adds to it as well - is 190+ in HPAT a very difficult task?

Ehhh I don't even know where to begin. If you go through the Acer booklets you should be fine. A score of 190 would put you in at over 750.

the important thing about the HPAT is your percentile.

Yeah this is what it's really about. Scores are unreliable and unpredictable.

Oh my. I really do hate the last section of the HPAT. I'm afraid it'll be the one ruining it for me. Or maybe time will run out on the first part. Second section is fine. How 'bout ya'll?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Got my email from ME about my predicted percentile for the real exam. 90-95th percentile :confused:

Do a lot of people get that score or what? A bit suprising for me as I've done 6 of their mocks online now and haven't come close to scoring that in any section.

Any stories of them being accurate/inaccurate for previous customers?

Got the exact same prediction as you. Have 5 exams done and averaging out in the high 80s percentile wise. What scores did you get in your three sections ?

I did The ME course last year and was predicted to get 80th percentile and I got nearly 20 less than that so they are not what I'd call exact to be honest.

I personally think having committed this entire year to the HPAT that it is hit and miss on the day like my biggest problem is timing.

Liking the new clock on the ME exams btw. How is everyone doing as regards time in Sec 1?

Yeah well, as I already said, I'm having difficulties with the time in section 1. Some of the questions have so much information that I have to read it twice to get it all, and then start pondering the alternatives. Though some are easy and some answers don't come right away, I'm hoping it'll go around.

• Advertisement

Got the exact same prediction as you. Have 5 exams done and averaging out in the high 80s percentile wise. What scores did you get in your three sections ?

I did The ME course last year and was predicted to get 80th percentile and I got nearly 20 less than that so they are not what I'd call exact to be honest.

I personally think having committed this entire year to the HPAT that it is hit and miss on the day like my biggest problem is timing.

Liking the new clock on the ME exams btw. How is everyone doing as regards time in Sec 1?

Yeah the new timer is good. Normally my timing is good in section 1 but I remember in that ME mock it all went tits up and I guessed the last 4 questions (and got them all wrong, of course).

My raw scores were 17.3, 18.6 and then in section 3 I only got 8.8 (45th percentile), so I dunno how that lands me in 90-95th overall. But I don't mind cause I think I've improved a little in section 3 since.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement