Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Unfortunately that's how it goes with certain courses such as Medicine. You need to matriculate and get your points in the same sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Unfortunately that's how it goes with certain courses such as Medicine. You need to matriculate and get your points in the same sitting.

Could I do pass maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Could I do pass maybe?
    You definitely could if you wanted. All the course needs is a pass in the matriculation subjects usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

All was going fine up until last week, when both my Parents and my Career Guidance Teacher asked me about repeating and trying to get into Medicine.

If you don't mind me asking, how was it that suddenly people were asking you about going for medicine? Had you expressed an interest before?

As the rest have said, you need to keep up your matriculating subjects, so repeating the year unfortunately would not be as easy as just picking up the 3 new subjects. Your career guidance teacher really should have known that.

Of the 3 you've picked, I did biology and chemistry, both of which we covered in class in the Leaving Cert year only. My 5th year teacher had only done about 4/5 chapters of each text book, so we more or less started from scratch, and finished them. Obviously it will take a bit of work, but if you're willing to do it, and you're getting marks like 510 in the mocks you're more than capable of it :)

If you feel the workload would be too much, taking into account the fact you still have to do English/Irish etc, you don't even need to pick up all three, or even two. You can get into any college with two, and NUIG/UCD/RCSI with one. Getting the points with the subjects you're already comfortable with would be more important than giving yourself a background of 3 sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hpatexams

I have a few mock papers for anyone interested ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I was faintly hoping that the HPAT wasn't going to be around this year but I just went onto the website there to see if anything had been mentioned yet:

Registrations for HPAT - Ireland 2013 are expected to open in early November.

Sigh...so that's that.

Anyway I refuse to post in here again until at least November, it's far too early, have nice summers. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nomnomnomnom

hey guys justwonder what you think is a better plan ?
    to take a year out and do the hpat or, go to college and do the hpat at the same time ??? both seem to have their negatives nd positives : Confus:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Can't believe in eligible for this thread.. :(

hpatexams wrote: »
    I have a few mock papers for anyone interested ;)

... mocks from where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Can't believe in eligible for this thread.. :(

Me neither. It's almost as scary as the fact I have to sit the damn exam. I have a bad feeling about it..

• Advertisement

hey guys this is a bit of a random question, but if you defer no.2 onn your cao, can you still get no1, on the second round ??

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I'm guessing this thread is going to start getting busier now as this year's current leaving certs are finishing up with the forum over the next few weeks. :eek:

Anyone going to do much prep over the Summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

hey guys this is a bit of a random question, but if you defer no.2 onn your cao, can you still get no1, on the second round ??

By defer do you mean accept and then defer through the college, or just not accept it at all?

If you accept your number 2 and defer through the college, I'm not 100% sure of the procedure. Your best bet would be to email the college or the CAO well before the offers date so that you know for sure.

If you don't accept your number 2 and your number 1 drops down to your points on the 2nd round, you can be offered and accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

NO, enjoy your summer because afterwards....We dine in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MedHopeful

Think you might have to take English, Irish, Maths in the same sitting as three other subjects for points??? Check this out with admissions/career guidance teacher before putting in a tough year!!!:confused:
    Hey guys, this is going to be an extremely long post. Stick with me if you want to help a suffering Leaving Certer out! :P

So, I always thought I wanted to study Law. Because of this, in 5th year I decided against studying Science and studying subjects such as Business, Economics etc. All was going fine up until last week, when both my Parents and my Career Guidance Teacher asked me about repeating and trying to get into Medicine. I had never really considered Med before, as I thought it was out of reach academically for me. Lately however, i'm beginning to wonder could Medicine have been the career for me?

As I said, Law was originally my choice. From discussing my options with my career guidance Teacher, I am still applying for Law and seeing how I feel after the Leaving Cert. What was suggested to me, if I still felt the same way after June, was to repeat next year and attempt to get Medicine whilst doing 7 subjects in School.

The slight issue is, I don't do any Science subjects now. My Teachers advice me, if repeating was on the cards to do the following:
    • Business
    • Economics
    • Geography
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Music
    • Ag-Science.
    If I decide Medicine is the career I want to really do, honestly, do you think it would be possible to take up those 3 subjects (Biology, Chemistry and Ag-Science)?

I got 510 in the Mocks this year, which I know would not be enough for Medicine. However, if I was able to drop a lot of minor subjects, in my case (Maths, Irish, French, English) I feel I could achieve 550/560 points. I also would be eligible for the HEAR scheme if I wanted to study Med. which would possibly give me a little breathing room as regards points.

If you have time, give me a reply back whether you think my idea is crazy/possible/or completely impossible. All opinions are greatly welcomed! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Fert94

Hello :)
    What kind of study are you guys planning on doing for the summer?
    I want to get some r&r in before sixth year but I really feel I should be studying and revising too..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 zinny

Wow I cant believe that this forum is here already ..kinda scary anyways....
    to fert94 I am actually currantly studying this summer Ive been doing 2 hours perday basically whenever I feel really bored so i just study! :)
    I think getting some work done this summer is vital to our 6th year experience but at the some time you shouldnt worry or stress about it its better to just start at like an hour everynight then gradually increase this to whatever amount of study time you are comfortable with.
    Personally im just going through my fifth year work looking over tests to correct mistakes I have made throughout the year but majorly just going through exampapers we did in class and stuff! To get a balance this summer I only study when I feel that I have nothing to do so I am still benefitting from a bit of r&r but im also getting stuff done !
    just remember 'Genius is the ability to make complex things become simple'-john maxwell
    Good luck and pm me if youve any questions or whatever ! :) have a good summer!

Yeah, I've been doing the same, being an exam attendant in school at the mo so I've been studying while I'm doing that except when fulfilling my exhausting duties :P

I feel guilty when i'm not studying so I suppose that's a good motivator :)

Good luck to you too!

I'm focusing on languages over the Summer, as I think the oral exams are going to be my main worry for next year.

Is anyone going to get that med entry thing? It sounds quite good.. but seems ridiculously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

0mega wrote: »
    I'm focusing on languages over the Summer, as I think the oral exams are going to be my main worry for next year.

Is anyone going to get that med entry thing? It sounds quite good.. but seems ridiculously expensive.

Did it myself. HUGE WASTE OF MONEY FOR WHAT YOU GET

• Advertisement

[Quote\]
    Did it myself. HUGE WASTE OF MONEY FOR WHAT YOU GET[/Quote]

the package on their website looks good to be fair... Most prep days would be on par with it though wouldn't they, independent academies had a free seminar during April as a taster and they seemed to know their stuff.

Anyone interested in being my fake friend at sometime in the near future and getting the med-entry group discount? I'll be a really good fake friend, I'll never text you back or remember your birthday or anything, swear!

Fert94 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been doing the same, being an exam attendant in school at the mo so I've been studying while I'm doing that except when fulfilling my exhausting duties :P

I feel guilty when i'm not studying so I suppose that's a good motivator :)

Good luck to you too!

I'm an attendant and all I've done is read and listen to my iPod. :/ Now I'm feeling slightly guilty...I dunno, I never really had much of an intention to do anything over the summer, next year is gonna be stressful and I don't feel I wasted 5th year doing nothing. I honestly can't imagine waking up on a summer morning and feeling the pressure to study hanging over my shoulders...I'm sure there'll be enough of that pressure and guilt to go around next year to keep me occupied.

May do some French oral stuff though, it might not even feel like studying and it really will be my weakest point overall.

Anyway, why aren't you all jostling to be my fake friend? :(

Trust me, my summer test results are motivation enough :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Am I the only one who plans to do nothing over the summer but relax? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Slow Show wrote: »
    I was faintly hoping that the HPAT wasn't going to be around this year but I just went onto the website there to see if anything had been mentioned yet:

Registrations for HPAT - Ireland 2013 are expected to open in early November.
    That is utter madness, how much more data do they want before they conclude this isn't working to do anything successfully but balance the male-female ratio? I would've thought with James Reilly himself being against the HPAT, progress to try something else either replacing it or in conjunction with it would be getting into place in time for the 2013/2014 academic year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Hey pictureframe, I'm not sure if I understand matriculation, but if you repeat could you possibly do English IRish MAths at lower level and not study for them at all as I'm sure you would pass them anyway without study. Then you could do your other 6 or 7 subjects at honors and focus on them. I'm not sure though!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Leaving Cert over time to get serious about this HPAT...

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    Leaving Cert over time to get serious about this HPAT...

Can someone who did the med entry last year tell us about it? I want to make sure it's worth getting for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

Didn't get the HPAT score I wanted this year. I'm really not sure if I want to sit it again next year. Maybe the fact that I'm not 100% sure means I really shouldn't do Medicine like. It'd take a lot of commitment to excel in it. Probably just gonna settle for Pharmacy or Process Eng!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement