Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'd take everything with a pinch of salt he says. I do believe the LMS works and if you do it properly it will improve your score. But he said something about if you use the LMS repeats will improve their percentile score by 35 percentile, which is a massive claim really.

Nice to know I'm on track to come in at 119th percentile this year though :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

are u doing it for first time?

Nope. Scored 181 last year.

You?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I was reaaally sceptical about the negative marking thing. I'm not going to lose sleep over it or argue with anyone but I don't personally believe it, not that it makes much difference what I believe. Won't be leaving any blanks either.

Bar S2, my percentiles are fairly consistent. 1 is anything from 80-100 while 3 is anything from 20-50, heh. S2 varies depending on my mood, whenever I do it and have the right mindset though I'm up in the 90's. Bit odd though that out of the six I've done five are in 75-100 and one is 30-something. That was a bad day. :p

Everyone says Section 3 is the easiest to improve on and I know I have to an extent, but at the same time I'm constantly hovering around the low 20's/42 these days, and the percentiles are meh enough too. It's nice to feel reasonably competent at 1 and 2 but I'd feel a lot more confident if I could pull off anything like it in relation to S3. Ugh. Anyone else feel like they're just not getting any better at Section 3?

ha 119 ;) no first time ..so wat was that? about 85 percentile or sumtin ? thats good anyway ha.

• Advertisement

section 3 is my best section like 90plus and s2 fluctuates..im a quick reader and always have time to spare which i dont use :p

amicus wrote: »
    ha 119 ;) no first time ..so wat was that? about 85 percentile or sumtin ? thats good anyway ha.

Yeah t'was 84th I think, can't really remember.
    Slow Show wrote: »
    Everyone says Section 3 is the easiest to improve on and I know I have to an extent, but at the same time I'm constantly hovering around the low 20's/42 these days, and the percentiles are meh enough too. It's nice to feel reasonably competent at 1 and 2 but I'd feel a lot more confident if I could pull off anything like it in relation to S3. Ugh. Anyone else feel like they're just not getting any better at Section 3?

Yeah exact same. It's actually uncanny how similar you're percentiles are to mine :p

section 3 is my best section like 90plus and s2 fluctuates..im a quick reader and always have time to spare which i dont use :p

That's incredible. Do you put a lot of time into S3 or have you always scored quite well?

And yeah for S2 timing has never been a problem (or S1 luckily), but I found S2 in the real hpat a lot more difficult than in any practice material I had been using (including the Acer booklets!) and I've heard a lot of other people say that as well about S2.

i was always quite good at section 3 but got better..i worked a bit at section 1 to get that better too. wat was harder about it? the vocab or sumtin?

Ehh the vocab wasn't easier but I wouldn't say it was anymore difficult. It's just the answer wasn't as clear. Y'know as you read through the answers in S2 you go "It's that", or "It's definitely either a or c", in the real exam it just seemed a little less clear. Gut instinct wasn't as strong straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

ye he made us deduct a quarter of what we got rong or sumting haha.. are the percentiles u get on ******** lower than what u coulld expect cus im not gettin quite as much as i did in mock? how is it for you?
    So you are definitely improving then :D IM quite sure ur man sed that if ur averaging 70 online then thats excellent..he sed wat u get on med entry is a below what u can expect which is nice to know i guess

Welcome to the forum :) Please don't use text speak, as per the the charter ;)

so ur in a way sayin ...it cuda been 3 answers rather than two like it usually is?

Yeah exactly.

oh well its the same for everyone...ha :p

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Regarding the negative marking, the thing to think about is expected value (probability chapter in maths :p).

Let's say you get 1 mark for every correct answer and - 1/3 mark for every incorrect answer. In that case, you would need to be guessing incorrectly 4/5 times or more for it actually to make a slight difference to your score - which is why that it isn't anything to be concerned about.

(Unless, certain incorrect answers lose your more marks if they're chosen - which we'll just have to hope & pray isn't the case :D)

Also, regarding ME percentiles - they're also marked including UMAT students, not just HPAT students and apparently UMAT students tend to do better, hence why some of the percentiles might be low. Luckily, they're be no UMAT students competing with us in March. :D

0mega wrote: »
    Also, regarding ME percentiles - they're also marked including UMAT students, not just HPAT students and apparently UMAT students tend to do better, hence why some of the percentiles might be low. Luckily, they're be no UMAT students competing with us in March. :D

Is that just cause they tend to spend thousands of dollars on courses and study way more or what?

Also, are the ME forums down for everybody else?

did they ever work?neever worked for me

Yeah they used to. Not an awful lot of activity but no harm in having them.

oh rite..might check itt out so :D still tho with the negative marking if u lose a thid of a mark oer incorrect answer then if u get 23 rite u lose 7 marks which is 16..not great?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Is that just cause they tend to spend thousands of dollars on courses and study way more or what?
    I heard that te Australian education system is more similar to the UMAT with regards to skills etc so they find it easier. Not sure f it's true though. People have gotten maximum marks in the UMAT in Australia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

Re the negative marking, even though it explicitly says that none is applied you think it actually is anyway?

Like CookieMonster has said, the Australians are a lot more familiar with multiple choice exams and how to approach them. The UMAT is also considered more difficult than the HPAT so perhaps they also put in a lot more preparation for it.

dmca93 wrote: »
    Re the negative marking, even though it explicitly says that none is applied you think it actually is anyway?

I'd be inclined to believe that there is certainly a possibility, ACER probably want to keep people as unfamiliar with the exam as possible so people can't come up with strategies to enhance their performance.

The same way that they claim all questions carry equal marks, where as all the preparation courses will tell you that they believe otherwise and there is a 'weighting' system in place, based on the difficulty of the questions and how well answered they are.

I guess we'll never know though. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

0mega wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to believe that there is certainly a possibility, ACER probably want to keep people as unfamiliar with the exam as possible so people can't come up with strategies to enhance their performance.

The same way that they claim all questions carry equal marks, where as all the preparation courses will tell you that they believe otherwise and there is a 'weighting' system in place, based on the difficulty of the questions and how well answered they are.

I guess we'll never know though. :p

Well the weighting system is one thing but if I knew that negative marking was being applied and hadn't a bulls notion of the answer I'd be inclined to leave a blank space! :P

ye id say so,,wish we were never told.making me all sceptical

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

hey guys - anyone have any spare study material that they wouldn't mind PM'ing on ? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Rockin wrote: »
    hey guys - anyone have any spare study material that they wouldn't mind PM'ing on ? Cheers

Same here. Could need more than the two test exams I have. Cheers ^_^

KristineKJ wrote: »
    This is how I see it all: you cannot really drill questions for the hpat. I think doing the two tests hpat gives out is enough. It is to be familiar with the questions and to try to see if you can manage to do them on time. You'll face other questions on the actual test anyways.
    KristineKJ wrote: »
    Same here. Could need more than the two test exams I have. Cheers ^_^

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Any chance I could get some of those materials, if anyone has them, as well?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement