Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Compared to the practise booklets sections 1 and 3 were about right except for section 2 which was much more difficult and in comparison to ME it's hard to say, cause there is sooo much material, but overall I'd still say section 2 is a lot easier on ME.
    Thanks, I sorta thought that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Just a question for anyone who ha done the HPAT before, was the official sample paper 1 (the purple one) easier, harder or roughly the same as the actual exam? I thought it was a bit easier than the ME mocks.

Sections 1 and 3 were fairly similar in difficulty to the practice booklet, but Section 2 was much much harder. I can't comment on how the prep courses compare though.

Sections 1 and 3 were fairly similar in difficulty to the practice booklet, but Section 2 was much much harder. I can't comment on how the prep courses compare though.
    I got full marks in section 2 and I think a bit better in the other 2 although I way prefer having an actual booklet in front of me instead of staring at computer screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah ME is a great in that there's so much material, but it all being online is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tanga1

Hey anyone wanna be a study buddy? :D

Only looking for people seriously committed to doing well in LC + HPAT. We can plan what to do each week, including HPAT questions (i'm registered with med*entry if it helps)

If you have any 4 of the subjects below and are really interested in doing this contact me:

higher level maths
    physics
    chemistry
    applied maths
    accounting
    german

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

is the timer for the practice exams only a recent thing ye?

amicus wrote: »
    is the timer for the practice exams only a recent thing ye?

Yeah only up a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah only up a couple of weeks ago.
    thats quite silly that they wernt there before as some people could of spent ages on them

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I usually timed myself anyway with an online timer... No point spending an hour on a drill and being proud of yourself for doing well, sure we'd all do well if we had more time :/

amicus wrote: »
    thats quite silly that they wernt there before as some people could of spent ages on them

Better late than never I guess.

• Advertisement

Better late than never I guess.
    Ye bro youre right but the percentiles would be even more exact like that

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

What's people's opinions on the results coming out in June this year rather than April?

I think it's better because now I'll be 100% motivated to work hard, if I got 150 in the HPAT I might be disheartened (or if I got 200+ I might get lazy, but that's a dream scenario :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

0mega wrote: »
    What's people's opinions on the results coming out in June this year rather than April?

I think it's better because now I'll be 100% motivated to work hard, if I got 150 in the HPAT I might be disheartened (or if I got 200+ I might get lazy, but that's a dream scenario :pac:)

I'd prefer to know straight away tbh and just know if I'm in with a shot or not of getting. If I didn't get the score I think I'd need then at least I've more time to seriously consider what I'm going to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

*getting it

i guess you're right . id still prefer it afterwards cause a bad result could disturb ones study

Same, I could get complacent or just not bother. Plus it could quite stressful if you are on the border Hpat wise. Although the wait will kill me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Ugh hate my scores and their fluctuating ways. I'm coming to the conclusion that so much about this is going to come down to how I feel on the day...

ye that really is the main thing..dont go by scores on ME so much.the mock scores are more realistic unless uve improved loads

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Well I know that last year they were delayed by two weeks cause people didn't want the results to distract them from their orals which I thought was a very good idea but when I got a very average HPAT score it didn't put me out cause I knew that it would feel even worse if I got a bad Leaving Cert ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

What was your result ^

• Advertisement

Ahh that's great, only got 550 myself so need a serious enough score :( I assume you're living close to Galway if you're doing CS tomorrow. Is NUIG your first choice?

I only signed up for CS super recently so have only really worked through about 1/3 of the material. It seems, a lot easier than ME. But it's not necessarily a bad thing cause I'm probably paying more attention to the techniques. The solutions are good, and I much prefer that it's not online. I guess I'm worried that yeah, maybe it's unrepresentatively easy. But being able to sit another mock is one of the main reasons I chose it too, so there's that. How do you find it?

I only got my CS course the week before last too :P

With the CS I think its a lot more ambiguous in Section 2 than ME which is more like what it would be like on the day of the actual Hpat.

How did you find the course on Friday?

Anyone do the ME at both October and January?

Was there any difference between the two ?

I only got my CS course the week before last too :P

With the CS I think its a lot more ambiguous in Section 2 than ME which is more like what it would be like on the day of the actual Hpat.

How did you find the course on Friday?

I actually quite liked it, there was less faffing around when it came to talking about the exam, it was very technique focused. Most of the examples were a bit too easy, but I still took a few things from it. And yeah I agree after having done some of the section 2 stuff it's more realistic.

What did you think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Anyone do the ME at both October and January?

Was there any difference between the two ?

People do this? o_O

Slow Show wrote: »
    People do this? o_O

Doubt it. T'would be exactly the same course.

What percentage of people doing hpat are doing the online ME roughly .would anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Well 5,000 people sit the HPAT every year, I'd say about a few hundred do ME, I couldn't be sure though!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Well 5,000 people sit the HPAT every year, I'd say about a few hundred do ME, I couldn't be sure though!

There was about 100-150 alone at my ME talk in Dublin, I'd say it could be 500-750

There was about 100-150 alone at my ME talk in Dublin, I'd say it could be 500-750

Looking at the amount of courses I'd say it's well over a thousand http://www.********-hpat.ie/workshop-dates

• Advertisement

Looking at the amount of courses I'd say it's well over a thousand http://www.********-hpat.ie/workshop-dates
    Well just ******** like.? I didn think 5000 sat it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement