Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

And sure seven weeks Saturday, you've plenty of time :p

Unless you meant before you go to bed or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

And sure seven weeks Saturday, you've plenty of time :p

Unless you meant before you go to bed or something?

Christ..

0mega wrote: »
    Christ..

Sorry, I don't go to school or anything. So I literally do nothing but hpat, walk my dog and spend all day on boards. I have a lot of time for twiddling my thumbs and looking at the calender :o:rolleyes:

Sorry, I don't go to school or anything. So I literally do nothing but hpat, walk my dog and spend all day on boards. I have a lot of time for twiddling my thumbs and looking at the calender :o:rolleyes:

Haha! :D

7 weeks is going to fly by though, I'm worried! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I'm actually so worried.. Leaving cert 2014 here I come.. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Gaahh, I won't be prepared like you at all. I'm currently studying the same as medicine this semester, note: In Norway. I'm studying human nutrition but we have all the same subjects as medicine and odonthology. BUT nutrition is not what I want, I want to get into medicine, only there's seriously no way to get in without spending five years getting points and whatsoever. I'd love to go study in Ireland.

Meeh, chemistry-biochemistry-hpat-histology-latin-hpat-lab-molecularbiology-hpat...and here. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

Test booklet.
    I thought the ME stuff is harder and better?

amicus wrote: »
    I thought the ME stuff is harder and better?

Some of it's probably harder yeah, but what's better than the papers ACER actually produce themselves. I wouldn't say a lot of the section 2 stuff on ME is that representative of the real hpat.

Some of it's probably harder yeah, but what's better than the papers ACER actually produce themselves. I wouldn't say a lot of the section 2 stuff on ME is that representative of the real hpat.
    You're saying the section 2 stuff is easy on ME?

You're saying the section 2 stuff is easy on ME?

I find a lot of the questions asked aren't exactly relevant to interpersonal reasoning. Sometimes they ask you odd questions like interpreting what an author means by a description of a physical landscape in a passage and the like..

I think the HPAT will use more difficult vocabulary too, the options for ME are generally 'angry', 'frustrated', 'anxious'..

• Advertisement

Well some of it is and some isn't, my drills have varied from 15/15 to 5/15 on it. I just think that the ACER booklets are probably more representative overall, be it easier or harder.

Did my first full exam this morning in months, I am shocked and delighted at how much I've improved since the last one. (S1: 83, S2: 70, S3: 89)

Oddly, S2 is my best section by far normally which makes those results even more odd. :D

Feeling slightly more confident now for 7 weeks today :p

Those are awesome scores. Which test was that?

Those are awesome scores. Which test was that?

It was exam #3.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Acer has only got 2 test booklets out right?

Does anyone have any tips for section 1? I know I can improve on section 3 by doing the drills but section 1 just is awful, I don't seem to be improving. :/

KristineKJ wrote: »
    Acer has only got 2 test booklets out right?

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I too did an ME exam this morning. 8 if anyone cares.

S1: 82 S2: 100 S3:24

Yay for being a Section 3 dummy. :)

I did think I was improving, got like 60th percentile in my last one but err yeah I think I just got thoroughly fed up after spending most of my morning at 1 and 2. Finished 15 minutes early and just said 'Right so, that'll do'. Should probably do a bit better in the real thing >.> If you added up my scores I would've got 213 though, which makes me feel a bit better. :L

I'm was planning on doing 8 this evening so we'll see :p

You guys have done 8 already? I'm only doing my third today..

• Advertisement

Slow Show wrote: »

I did think I was improving, got like 60th percentile in my last one but err yeah I think I just got thoroughly fed up after spending most of my morning at 1 and 2. Finished 15 minutes early and just said 'Right so, that'll do'. Should probably do a bit better in the real thing >.> If you added up my scores I would've got 213 though, which makes me feel a bit better. :L

100th percentile.. wow :eek:

At least you have that to rely on in the real thing to make up for S3 :)

Do you have any tips for how you do so well on S2, any approach you take or are you just the Queen of Empathy? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

Slow Show wrote: »

How are you adding up your scores to get 213?

Fiddles44 wrote: »

Probably just dividing the number of questions by 100 and dividing that figure by the number of questions correct. Just a raw score.

100th percentile.. wow :eek:

At least you have that to rely on in the real thing to make up for S3 :)

Do you have any tips for how you do so well on S2, any approach you take or are you just the Queen of Empathy? :D
    I dunno tbh, I've gotten 100 in 3/8 ME exams I've done, 90's in another 3, like 70 in one and then something like 40 in another? :p I really don't know tbh, I just rely on my instinct and try not to overthink it too much when you get to questions you're a bit sketchy on. But I'm really not sure, I had a look at some non-ME S2 questions this morning and that didn't go particularly fantastically so it still doesn't guarantee anything!
    Fiddles44 wrote: »

Added up percentages, got 71% in S1, 89% in S2 and 55% in S3, getting 215 (heh, I was wrong the first time :p). Most likely very, very inaccurate but I do it anyway. :p

any section 1 tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

any section 1 tips?
    Look out for definitives is a really good thing to do in the answers (must, has to, will always) a lot of the time they make the answer wrong! Also beware of assumptions if they tell you a statistic about children it can't instantly be assumed to be true for adults unless they tell you so! S1 is my favourite amd most consistent section, I'd normally score in and around 90th percentile, section 2 varies from 60th to 90th and S3 from 50th to 80th, so if the stars were to all align I may score well in the real thing, but I suppose I can't rely on that!

Problems in S1 are my biggest issue at the moment. Can anyone actually figure them out in the time allocated in the exams? Even sometimes I can't understand the solutions so just skip them :D

Eurgh me percentiles for test 8;

S1 79th (Was pleased with this really though, cause I got all worked up when my laptop died and Dad was drilling holes in the wall)

S2 36th... I don't even :( I really tried to empathise the shit out of everybody as well.

S3 84th :) Which I was pleased about, that's definitely one of my better section 3 results, I actually feel like it's come along.

Anyway.

Problems in S1 are my biggest issue at the moment. Can anyone actually figure them out in the time allocated in the exams? Even sometimes I can't understand the solutions so just skip them :D

I found them horrendous at the beginning but they're coming along fairly well now, just takes a bit of practice I think! And yeah if you're spending too long on them just eliminate what you can and fire on ahead I'd say!

S2 36th... I don't even :( I really tried to empathise the shit out of everybody as well.

Ah don't feel bad, we've all been there I'm sure, S2 is horrific for fluctuating percentiles. And I'm super jealous of the Section 3 performance, I'd probably cry with delight if I hit so much as the 70th percentile in one, before deciding it was probably a system error >.>

I'm procrastinating by calculating all of my (woefully inaccurate) scores. :) 184, 181, 161, 187, 195, 196, 199, 215. That's OK like, definitely improving at ME (ignoring that outlier of 161), whether or not that corresponds to the HPAT we'll see.. On the brink of drawing out a graph tbh, really don't want to study D:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

just did practice exam 3 and did terrible as usual.
    sec1: 50%
    sec2: 59%
    sec3: 50%
    i have improved from the other practice exams though.
    when i do the drills i always score like 15/15 in the section 2 and always like 14/15 in next in the sequence.
    how is it i do awfully bad in the practice exams but not the drills?
    i'm really freaking out and just had a panic attack looking at everyone else's scores. all i want to do is medicine and it looks as if my dream is diminishing.
    this god damn HPAT is such an inconvenience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement