Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Is that % of questions right, or your percentile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

the percentages of questions right :/

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

We're quoting the percentiles, not the percentages of answers right. What are your percentiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

If that's percentage of questions right, then you're not doing too badly, what percentiles are you getting do you know?

Also the drills are designed to be slightly easier, they're not reflective of proper questions for the most part, they're supposed to reinforce a concept, like in maths when you learn a concept you do a few questions from the textbook, they're generally not as hard as exam questions but they're there to get the procedure and idea into your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

Can I just say I don't think the purpose of this thread is for people to be quoting what percentiles they got.

I'm sure there are a lot more people out there besides outnumbered freaking out and getting nervous when they see people percentiles. Its of no benefit to anyone really in my opinion.

I think we would all benefit more by actually talking about specific questions that people found difficult and offer ideas on how to tackle them rather then just talking about each other percentiles all day long

• Advertisement

my percentile are rather embarassing :P
    sec1: 35
    sec2: 0-20
    sec3: 49
    yeah i suppose the drills are easier. :/
    do my percentiles seem quite low for the percents i got?

Fiddles44 wrote: »
    Can I just say I don't think the purpose of this thread is for people to be quoting what percentiles they got.

I'm sure there are a lot more people out there besides outnumbered freaking out and getting nervous when they see people percentiles. Its of no benefit to anyone really in my opinion.

I think we would all benefit more by actually talking about specific questions that people found difficult and offer ideas on how to tackle them rather then just talking about each other percentiles all day long
    agreed! :)
    does anyone have any clue how to do "pick the middle" ? i know all that 3-2 rule, mapping etc but half of the time it doesn't work! or whilst mapping, i'm not sure where is the beginning of the shape ie where it begins rotating from. i have a HPAT study buddy and neither of us can get this :P

Getting 50% of the answers right isn't bad, the standard deviation is so small on ******** that it makes the percentiles quite inaccurate. If you were to get 60% of the answers right for example, you could be up to the 70th percentile. It's definitely not something to be concerned about. The person at my ME talk said we can expect our percentiles to go up substantially in the real HPAT as we're competing against the best in Ireland and Australia on the LMS. :)

You can do whatever you want.

We're not just stating our percentiles and flashing them hoping to impress strangers on the internet. The consistency of percentiles over the ME exams can show where you need to improve. We're not allowed to talk about specific ME questions on here, there's an ME forum for it.

In my opinion it's a break from the barrage of spam on this thread.

Everybody has some horrific percentiles, it's nice getting good scores, but don't be too disheartened. I was talking to somebody a few weeks ago who's in med now, and they said it was really rare for them to score 85< in the percentiles, but it only encouraged them to work harder. Just keep going through the solutions.

You may be right, but when you consider the amount of people who post on this thread compared to the amount of people that will sit the HPAT - 2/3 people's scores aren't an accurate representation of how the rest of the country is doing so nothing really to freak out about. I'll avoid talking percentiles in future though, as I can see where you're coming from. Undue stress is the last thing you'd want to cause someone this time of year. :)

• Advertisement

Slow Show wrote: »
    I found them horrendous at the beginning but they're coming along fairly well now, just takes a bit of practice I think! And yeah if you're spending too long on them just eliminate what you can and fire on ahead I'd say!

I'll try doing a few problem drills tomorrow maybe so. It's the truth teller ones that really get me, they're head wrecking!

0mega wrote: »
    Getting 50% of the answers right isn't bad, the standard deviation is so small on ******** that it makes the percentiles quite inaccurate. If you were to get 60% of the answers right for example, you could be up to the 70th percentile. It's definitely not something to be concerned about. The person at my ME talk said we can expect our percentiles to go up substantially in the real HPAT as we're competing against the best in Ireland and Australia on the LMS. :)

thanks, that boosts my spirits :)

agreed! :)
    does anyone have any clue how to do "pick the middle" ? i know all that 3-2 rule, mapping etc but half of the time it doesn't work! or whilst mapping, i'm not sure where is the beginning of the shape ie where it begins rotating from. i have a HPAT study buddy and neither of us can get this :P

I Map each of the components seperately and it's working much better for me. I used to be astonishingly bad (got 3/15 in one drill :o ). I also hate them a lot less now :pac:

what is everyone doing as regards study for the mocks? my guidance councellor said to forget about study for them and just do hpat! is this wise? if you are studying for the mocks, how much are ye doing? and would you be better of doing a few chapters really well or all chapters briefly?

what is everyone doing as regards study for the mocks? my guidance councellor said to forget about study for them and just do hpat! is this wise? if you are studying for the mocks, how much are ye doing? and would you be better of doing a few chapters really well or all chapters briefly?

What I plan on doing is alternate between doing an exam a night and going over the solutions the next night and then doing maybe two hours of study afterwards. Trying to juggle both without killing myself either.

I Map each of the components seperately and it's working much better for me. I used to be astonishingly bad (got 3/15 in one drill :o ). I also hate them a lot less now :pac:

okay. but i tried this once and the middle turned out different each time and i was baffled! but i better try it again.
    also does anyone find with section 1 especially and sometime in section 2, that it is astonishingly difficult to maintain focus? i read and then realise i wasn't even concentrating :P and have to read it all again or sometimes i just guess the ones where it gives you a load of info and you have to solve a puzzle because i know i'll never get it right :/
    what are your plans if ye don't get medicine this year? and is anyone applying abroad?

What I plan on doing is alternate between doing an exam a night and going over the solutions the next night and then doing maybe two hours of study afterwards. Trying to juggle both without killing myself either.

wow an exam every two nights? :O but if done well its a good plan.
    ive been getting up at 5am and doing hpat drills until 7am. then i do evening study from 4:15 to 6:15 and do assigned subject each evening. then i come home and at 7 i do my homework until 8:30 pm and never get it finished and then go to bed at 9. but i never get time for practice exams :/

wow an exam every two nights? :O but if done well its a good plan.
    ive been getting up at 5am and doing hpat drills until 7am. then i do evening study from 4:15 to 6:15 and do assigned subject each evening. then i come home and at 7 i do my homework until 8:30 pm and never get it finished and then go to bed at 9. but i never get time for practice exams :/

By 'exam' I mean just one section of an exam, so an exam a week!

5am-7am, that is dedication! :pac:

I found getting up at 9am this morning a struggle. :o

By 'exam' I mean just one section of an exam, so an exam a week!

5am-7am, that is dedication! :pac:

I found getting up at 9am this morning a struggle. :o

oh i see. that seems more managable alright. i might do that in the 5-7 time!
    ah well i go to bed at 9 so its still 8 hours sleep :P oh and its SUCH a struggle to get out of bed but once your out its okay! :P
    have to do a comparative 14 page essay now but i am procrastinating as i just feel like giving up! :P

oh i see. that seems more managable alright. i might do that in the 5-7 time!
    ah well i go to bed at 9 so its still 8 hours sleep :P oh and its SUCH a struggle to get out of bed but once your out its okay! :P
    have to do a comparative 14 page essay now but i am procrastinating as i just feel like giving up! :P

This has to be a typo, surely? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

May not be, my teacher had us doing a 10 page minimum :P

hahaha i wish. seemingly we have to write all of that and then learn what we can which she estimates to be about 6 pages.
    i did one on cultural context before and it was 10 typed a4 pages and she said it was bordering on being too short and thus it got 98% but bare in mind this took me like 6 hours in total to do :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

im studying for mocks. Like itd be horrible to do bad in your mocks .then u wudn knpw what to expect in the leaving cert.im doin a hpat exam every friday after school .ive done 4 so far..my mocks are in 4 weeks so ill hav two weeks of hpat only after and ill do bout 4 exams in that period.. would be great to just be studying the hpat and not having to worry bout leaving certt too

May not be, my teacher had us doing a 10 page minimum :P

What?

I don't understand how it would be in any way possible to plan and write a 10 page comparative answer in 70 minutes.. we write 5!

amicus wrote: »
    im studying for mocks. Like itd be horrible to do bad in your mocks .then u wudn knpw what to expect in the leaving cert.im doin a hpat exam every friday after school .ive done 4 so far..my mocks are in 4 weeks so ill hav two weeks of hpat only after and ill do bout 4 exams in that period.. would be great to just be studying the hpat and not having to worry bout leaving certt too
    yeah i suppose thats sensible! :P oh god if i just had to study HPAT i would cry. it makes me feel physically sick :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Dear god, the pres are going to be a disaster for me! I'm currently finishing off my DCG project so as a consequence my school study and HPAT study have gone out the window! That has to be in by Thursday and after that the HPAT takes over, there's going to be very little time to study for the pres!

Dear god, the pres are going to be a disaster for me! I'm currently finishing off my DCG project so as a consequence my school study and HPAT study have gone out the window! That has to be in by Thursday and after that the HPAT takes over, there's going to be very little time to study for the pres!

dont worry about it! :)
    my guidance councellor said she knew a girl who got 320 in the mocks who wanted to do medicne and was absolutely balling her eyes out but in the end got 590 ( before bonus points for maths!)

What?

I don't understand how it would be in any way possible to plan and write a 10 page comparative answer in 70 minutes.. we write 5!

yeah 5 is suffice in the exam but my teacher's suggestion is to write loads before and see what you can memorise.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Just a heads up guys with the ME drills it says for Section 1 20 mins for 20 questions but if you do up the ratio you actually have almost an extra 10 minutes which is good if you're like me and struggling with the time :)

• Advertisement

That's bs. No offence or anything but my career guidance said something similar to me last year (didn't get that low in my pres) and told me after my exams that it was just a motivation tactic

oh well i wouldn't think so as i asked the girl which she was referring to! :P
    she didn't tell me who the girl was but only one got medicine in our school so i asked them and it was her. :P
    also my accounting teacher told us of a girl who got 18% in the mocks and a b1 in the real thing! :P guess doing badly provides motivation to up your game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement