Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 agxoxo

I was hoping to apply for the Med Entry HPAT prep course in Griffith College Dublin on the 16th and 17th of Feb. 2013 but €625 is such a high price for the package I was wondering if anyone wanted to avail of the group discount of €385 with me ? (It's possible to have just two in a group!)

Private message me ASAP if you're interested, Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

when does evryone hav the mocks actually? And are people studying for them so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

amicus wrote: »
    when does evryone hav the mocks actually? And are people studying for them so?

28th of this month! :) have yet to begin proper study! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

Guys if you feel that you are not able to keep up with hpat study and studying for the mocks, just forget about them. Honestly, it doesn't matter how well you do in the mocks. Last year I spent all my time studying for them then felt terrible when I got my hpat result and wished I'd done more for it. If you don't give everything you have and are disappointed with your hpat result you'll beat yourself up over it. Trust me.

dmca93 wrote: »
    Guys if you feel that you are not able to keep up with hpat study and studying for the mocks, just forget about them. Honestly, it doesn't matter how well you do in the mocks. Last year I spent all my time studying for them then felt terrible when I got my hpat result and wished I'd done more for it. If you don't give everything you have and are disappointed with your hpat result you'll beat yourself up over it. Trust me.
    How much hpat study did you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Just a heads up guys with the ME drills it says for Section 1 20 mins for 20 questions but if you do up the ratio you actually have almost an extra 10 minutes which is good if you're like me and struggling with the time :)

I give myself about 28 minutes to do the section 1 drills because sometimes there's 20 minutes but more than 20 questions to do, so there time ratio is completely off in some of them! I know you have to do them quickly but they give you less than 60 seconds to do them!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Hey guys need some help on section 3 pick the middles, I've used the 3-2 and mapping method for some and its worked out quite well, but what is this other kind some people use I've heard floating about, something like 4-2-2 or something, used when when you can't figure out which is the second and fourth image in the sequence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I've heard of 2-2-1, as in when there's clearly two distinct pairs and one different. 4-2-2 is a formation of a football team though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SeanIAm

There's a new series of Junior Doctors starting on BBC Three on Thursday, if you're interested in studying med then I would give it watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

SeanIAm wrote: »
    There's a new series of Junior Doctors starting on BBC Three on Thursday, if you're interested in studying med then I would give it watch.

Nice spot!

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013fdbd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I'm in 5th year and can barely find time to practice the h-pat, I don't know how you guys manage it in 6th year :eek:

the only one is 3-2 .

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Just curious, where would people prefer to get in?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

Would like to stay in Dublin so RCSI, Trinity or UCD

Had UCD down first choice last year, wanna skip pre med this time, so have TCD first. I'll go wherever'll have me though :p Not too bothered. Yourself?

I just changed again, I can't seem to make up my mind. Currently I have RC on first and UCD second. Cork third. First I had Trinity on first but not sure I'd like to go there after all, and probably won't get in anyway. But as you said, I'll take whatever I get (if I get in anywhere)

Just booked hotel and flight to Dublin in March. Hpat suddenly just seemed so much closer...

Currently doing the test booklet 1 for the third time and then I'll start on the other one. Wish there was more prep material.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Ahhh 2-2-1 method thats it, can anyone explain to me how this method works? cheers

i spose 2-2-1 method does exist but its rare . its just what it says. lets say you have 3 squares.. theryl be 2 in the middle 2 on one side and 1 on other and itl b 1 in the middle but there will be probably other factors to take into account also

Yeah I don't think 2-2-1 actually crops up that much. Never that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I have UCC down first because I love literally less than 20 minutes from it, then it's TCD and UCD (even though I know Dublin is higher than Cork but I doing it in order of preference as is right!) then NUIG and RCSI last, RCSI doesn't really appeal to me, even though it has a great medical reputation it's seriously expensive for accommodation there and it's so small and just a medical school I feel like I wouldn't be getting the full college 'experience'. In all realism I'd be delighted if I end up going to NUIG, I would dearly love to move out for college but the bank of mom and dad have said that only happens if I don't get it in Cork ;) Having said all that I'd be delighted to get into medicine anywhere!

Who has applied abroad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I have NUIG first and the other four after it, realistically if I get points for any med course it'll be in NUIG, although I think there was very little difference between it and Cork last year. Yeah I'm going there because I live relatively near it, I think I'm still gonna be moving out though! I think I'd love to go further afield and have college be a newer experience but I have a job and stuff so it's probably handiest to stay around here. :p Pharmacy is my next choice then (not sure if I'd accept it though) so I'd have to go to Dublin or Cork for that. And yeah, I'd be delighted to get med anywhere but at the same time, not really feeling RCSI. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I'm going for UCD, TCD, RCSI, NUIG and UCC. If I get an offer from Belfast, I'll probably put that ahead of Galway and Cork.

I thought that about RCSI too last year, but everybody I've spoken to loves it.

I was just thinking about this earlier.id say a fair few of you are repeats but its kinda annoying that while im here studying for mocks and some hpat the repeats have taken the year off or at least 2nd year round.just seems a bit unfair because im sure a lot of repeats get it 2nd time round.like statisticly how many are repeating and will be successful going by other years perhaps? Hope im not offending anyone .not intended .i love you all

I love you too :p

Ehh yeah it is unfair, but when I sat it for the first time last year there was two lads from I old school repeating it (one in psychology, one in pharmacy. Both got in this year) and five girls from my town all of whom were doing pharmacy 4/5 got in second time round. So, yeah I understand where you're coming from, but it's been the same for every year since the second year of the hpat.

I love you too :p

Ehh yeah it is unfair, but when I sat it for the first time last year there was two lads from I old school repeating it (one in psychology, one in pharmacy. Both got in this year) and five girls from my town all of whom were doing pharmacy 4/5 got in second time round. So, yeah I understand where you're coming from, but it's been the same for every year since the second year of the hpat.
    Ugh so like would repeats take up more than half the places.? Tis annoying bro

amicus wrote: »
    Ugh so like would repeats take up more than half the places.? Tis annoying bro
    And ur town being dublin?or is this confidetial ha

My town definitely isn't Dublin, I'm from Mayo.

I don't know how many repeats take up the places. But repeats have always sat the exams from the second year onwards, so it's not like it's going to cause an additional upexpected increase on the points this year as well. Hopefully :/

I have UCC down first because I love literally less than 20 minutes from it, then it's TCD and UCD (even though I know Dublin is higher than Cork but I doing it in order of preference as is right!) then NUIG and RCSI last, RCSI doesn't really appeal to me, even though it has a great medical reputation it's seriously expensive for accommodation there and it's so small and just a medical school I feel like I wouldn't be getting the full college 'experience'. In all realism I'd be delighted if I end up going to NUIG, I would dearly love to move out for college but the bank of mom and dad have said that only happens if I don't get it in Cork ;) Having said all that I'd be delighted to get into medicine anywhere!

Who has applied abroad?

lol, I'm applying abroad when applying to Ireland. I'm from Norway, and I'll be applying here as well. It's bloody difficult to get in in Norway though, and that's why I'm trying abroad.

Anyways, I'm really curious as to what Cork is like as a city. I met someone from Cork last summer and they recommended the place for studying. Wondering what others think. I've only been to Belfast as far as Ireland goes and I'll be visiting Dublin upon taking the hpat.

ALSO, could anyone enlighten me on the points for the different uni's again? I know Trinity is the highest but I couldn't find the others when I was to look it up again.

• Advertisement

At end of round 2 it was;

RCSI 740
    TCD 746
    UCD 745
    UCC 738
    NUIG 737

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement