Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Well, I heard they can be a little stricter about it in UCD, which is why I don't have first this time around. Can you choose to premed in RCSI even if you have an A in HL chem? In NUIG it's upto you if you wanna do the pre med year, 70 people took it this year and they were saying that's more than they were expecting/have usually.

no in rcsi if you have chemistry you don't get a choice! :( only two people last year did premed there. so no, theres no choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

I've only been reading the last couple of pages so excuse me if this question has already been posed.. From what I've understood, RCSI has continuous assessments, TCD has Christmas and summer exams worth 40% and 60% respectively with no other continuous assessments in between?

What about UCD, NUIG and UCC? Man, I thrive on continuous assessments. I would do totally crap if it all boiled down to summer exams. Probably why I didn't do so well in my first degree... >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Got my ME feedback, really disappointed, and it's not a good sign if I'm doing poorly in that, I'll do even worse in the real thing then! :(

Got my ME feedback, really disappointed, and it's not a good sign if I'm doing poorly in that, I'll do even worse in the real thing then! :(

It's never a guarantee that you will be worse off in the real thing! Besides, ACER claims that these prep courses are a waste of money and time... Not gonna stop me from doing it!

How was the ME course? Do they give you tons of practice questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Can't be thinking like that. Still 6+ weeks, you can improve so much. Nobody should take that prediction at all seriously.

• Advertisement

Precisely. I'm yet to do the course and might come out of it feeling the same way. Does anyone have feedback about the ME Platinum course? I just managed to get a group discount (thank you boards.ie!) so..

Can't be thinking like that. Still 6+ weeks, you can improve so much. Nobody should take that prediction at all seriously.

Ironically that actually was how I felt I did when I finished the exam (I messed up the time, I didn't even get to see some questions, it was a disaster!) then your man started saying "Put up your hands if you got a score from X to Y, thay would be about Z percentile" and going from him, I was in and around 90th percentile for S1 and 80th for S2 and S3, so I suppose that inflated my expectations.

On the plus side I really know I can and have done better!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

There's something seriously wrong. My percentiles for S2 are slipping from 90+ to ~ 50. I'm genuinely worried I'm suffering from over-prep and I'm analysing the questions too much now, which is causing me to ignore my gut instinct.

6 weeks to work on it I guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

0mega wrote: »
    There's something seriously wrong. My percentiles for S2 are slipping from 90+ to ~ 50. I'm genuinely worried I'm suffering from over-prep and I'm analysing the questions too much now, which is causing me to ignore my gut instinct.

6 weeks to work on it I guess..
    I went from like 90th to 40th one day :P I tried the 2 official samples and the second one is so much harder! I'm really getting otter about the whole thing, I just don't think I can improve that much :/
    I think I asked this already but does anyone have any tips for section 1? I'm in serious need of help :/

had a breakdown today! can't cope with all this pressure of mocks and hpat! i don't know whether to study for the hpat or my mocks because doing both evenly is impossible! what should i do? does doing loads of drills and practice exams actually help or am i wasting considerable time that i should be doing leaving cert study in? your help is much appreciated! soooo stressed right now, medicine is slipping away from me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

had a breakdown today! can't cope with all this pressure of mocks and hpat! i don't know whether to study for the hpat or my mocks because doing both evenly is impossible! what should i do? does doing loads of drills and practice exams actually help or am i wasting considerable time that i should be doing leaving cert study in? your help is much appreciated! soooo stressed right now, medicine is slipping away from me :(

I feel the exact same! I don't think I'm gaining anything from doing exams these days other than the results..

I might go back over the guides soon..

0mega wrote: »
    I feel the exact same! I don't think I'm gaining anything from doing exams these days other than the results..

I might go back over the guides soon..

yeah and my results are absolutely rubbish! :(
    regarding section 3, i just can't get pick the middle.
    section 2 differs dramatically from day to day but generally is my best section
    section 1 is a hit and miss imo.
    i think section 3 is the only one we can really improve on!
    what are you doing Re mocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Okay so, I really don't get the S3 'put them in order and pick the middle'. Are you supposed to reorder them all first, and THEN mark the one that would be middle for you? I'm finding it close to impossible, cause there are so many possible starts that seem logical, and that would make different middles.....I seriously bummed at all of them in the first test exam :O

help anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Lads. We'll all be grand.

@Eurovisionmad: I was disappointed with my ME feedback too but I really don't think it reflects the progress I've made, according to them S1 was my weakest section and S3 my strongest which is totally untrue, so there's no need to think about them too much, no result matters but the one you get in June. :)

@0mega: Just get yourself into a good mindset and be chill and try not to overthink too much. Don't worry, S2 tends to be the one people get higher scores in so a few questions could make a huge difference to your percentile. Don't feel bad about it, I've been in the exact same boat and I bet most here have been.

@CookieMonster.x: I improved drastically in S1 in the space of a few weeks so if you want I'll try to gather some things that help me tomorrow (I need my sleep now :p) and send them onto you! PM me to remind me if I forget. :)

@outnumbered: HPAT has more weight than mocks, I myself would give the LC a fair bit more time than the HPAT, maybe do an hour or so every two nights for HPAT and a bit more at weekends? Don't stress, stressing achieves nothing but negativity.

@KristineKJ: It is the opinion of possibly everyone ever that pick the middle is awful, you sound like you get it but yeah, it's fairly head-wrecking!

Everbody be chill and be happy. 'Cos this last page was seriously depressing reading, and I was listening to similarly depressing music and wanted to cry a little bit. But it's all good now. We'll all be grand. :) And if we're not, we will be someday, and that's the main thing. Indeed.

^

Yess, you know how to boost my spirit. I'll take your good advice and just go for it, prepare moderately over the next few weeks. Oh oh, and I would also happily recieve anything that could help with S1. I keep doing the two test exams over and over cause that's all I have, so...yeah. Yes please for a PM here as well :)

Good night ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

SDCards wrote: »
    I've only been reading the last couple of pages so excuse me if this question has already been posed.. From what I've understood, RCSI has continuous assessments, TCD has Christmas and summer exams worth 40% and 60% respectively with no other continuous assessments in between?

What about UCD, NUIG and UCC? Man, I thrive on continuous assessments. I would do totally crap if it all boiled down to summer exams. Probably why I didn't do so well in my first degree... >.<

Lads, I'm in RCSI and when they say we have continuous assessment, it is 5% for 2 midsemster MCQ's and 2.5% for "Card-Signings"-basically anatomy exams in fronot of your anatomy group......its weighted towards the end of semester exams (of which I'm in the middle of and just taking a break at the moment from the study) but that's not neccessary a bad thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Ahh I hate continuous assessment.

Getting worried about the consistently poor percentiles in section 2 on ME :/ Also got really worried last night when I read that a lack of empathy is common in child molesters and other sex offenders. It's not looking good lads :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

Have to say I do love it here though! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mmcinerney

God Section 2 is fluctuating so much for me.

I have the ME package should i get the 2nd acer booklet as its probably more realistic?
    Is anyone else finding the whole LC and HPAT a huge money drain? God for something that was meant to equalise the system a bit its not working. some people are practically "buying" the LC and HPAT. at the ME course I met a girl who is repeating HPAT and she has spent just under €2000 on HPAT and prep :O like how can we compete with that. and she went to a grinds school for LC and got 625 :( its so unfair

Ahh I hate continuous assessment.

Getting worried about the consistently poor percentiles in section 2 on ME :/ Also got really worried last night when I read that a lack of empathy is common in child molesters and other sex offenders. It's not looking good lads :pac:
    lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

Slow Show wrote: »
    Lads. We'll all be grand.

@Eurovisionmad: I was disappointed with my ME feedback too but I really don't think it reflects the progress I've made, according to them S1 was my weakest section and S3 my strongest which is totally untrue, so there's no need to think about them too much, no result matters but the one you get in June. :)

@0mega: Just get yourself into a good mindset and be chill and try not to overthink too much. Don't worry, S2 tends to be the one people get higher scores in so a few questions could make a huge difference to your percentile. Don't feel bad about it, I've been in the exact same boat and I bet most here have been.

@CookieMonster.x: I improved drastically in S1 in the space of a few weeks so if you want I'll try to gather some things that help me tomorrow (I need my sleep now :p) and send them onto you! PM me to remind me if I forget. :)

@outnumbered: HPAT has more weight than mocks, I myself would give the LC a fair bit more time than the HPAT, maybe do an hour or so every two nights for HPAT and a bit more at weekends? Don't stress, stressing achieves nothing but negativity.

@KristineKJ: It is the opinion of possibly everyone ever that pick the middle is awful, you sound like you get it but yeah, it's fairly head-wrecking!

Everbody be chill and be happy. 'Cos this last page was seriously depressing reading, and I was listening to similarly depressing music and wanted to cry a little bit. But it's all good now. We'll all be grand. :) And if we're not, we will be someday, and that's the main thing. Indeed.

Section 1 is by far my worst section too but you're right you do improve with practise. I have to say though my improvement has been VERY slow so if you could send me on those tips too Slow Slow that would really be great

Watched Junior Doctors on BBC3 earlier, it was really good, really made me want it more!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 whatsec

SDCards wrote: »

I'm in UCD. The year is split in two, with exams at the end of each semester. After Christmas the material is all completely new and the stuff from the previous semester can essentially be forgotten.

As for the continuous assessment aspect, it varies depending on the module, but every module has some continual element. In physics the grade is entirely made up of continuous assessment and lab reports so there isn't even an end of semester exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 whatsec

sidenote: when I say the stuff from last semester can essentially be forgotten - I'm talking about first year, when the material is not exactly relevant. Obviously this won't reply to later years haha

whatsec wrote: »
    sidenote: when I say the stuff from last semester can essentially be forgotten - I'm talking about first year, when the material is not exactly relevant. Obviously this won't reply to later years haha

What spesific subjects are included in the first year? I'd like to know if maybe it's the same as first year in Norway (which I'm taking right now).
    We've got: basic medical latin, chemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, medical statistics

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

Just a word of advice, the section 2 in the real exam is much harder than any practise test. The booklets don't represent the difficulty of the section, the same going for any M-E practise exam. Section 1 and 3 in the acer booklets are about the same as the the real one. Having done 2 hpat exams i'd suggest concentrating on section 3 and overall timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tanga1

How did you do in the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

^^

You can op to skip first year UCD med, RCSI also 5 or 6 year programs as well (I think~).

If you're coming out of school, you're gonna be made do premed in UCD. I had all 3 sciences and would have had to do it. RCSI don't give a choice either, they make you skip premed if you have 2+ sciences, and do it if you have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

spasmaster wrote: »
    Just a word of advice, the section 2 in the real exam is much harder than any practise test. The booklets don't represent the difficulty of the section, the same going for any M-E practise exam. Section 1 and 3 in the acer booklets are about the same as the the real one. Having done 2 hpat exams i'd suggest concentrating on section 3 and overall timing.

Can I ask what your scores in each section were for both years and how they improved? I'm going to be sitting the hpat for the third time this year, after missing it by 9 points last year! I always thought I should concentrate on section 3, it being my best section, as I felt it could be most improved! However, I spent the majority of my time on Section 1 and 2... in the end, They were the only scores to improve, unsurprisingly!
    Also, how much practice did you do second time and when did you really start?

• Advertisement

The HPAT seems so much more difficult than the GAMSAT. Dangit. I just can't get Section 2 to stop fluctuating either. :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement