Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

Do most people here consider section3 to be the easiest?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

amicus wrote: »
    Do most people here consider section3 to be the easiest?

Not sure if people consider it the easiest but compared to the others its the easiest to improve on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

are we able to repeat the HPAT in 2014? or is that information not made available yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

They haven't made any changes to the currency of results yet.

They haven't made any changes to the currency of results yet.

okay well hopefully they don't change it yet :P
    are you applying abroad this year?

• Advertisement

Nope :/ Was expecting to be repeating the leaving cert, so I didn't really think about applying to the UK and I missed out really. I'm not really interested in studying in eastern Europe yet, looks like it'll be hard enough to get an intern post for graduates here as it is in a few years time. If I don't get it this time, I'll have to start looking at it seriously though.

Yourself?

Nope :/ Was expecting to be repeating the leaving cert, so I didn't really think about applying to the UK and I missed out really. I'm not really interested in studying in eastern Europe yet, looks like it'll be hard enough to get an intern post for graduates here as it is in a few years time. If I don't get it this time, I'll have to start looking at it seriously though.

Yourself?
    oh i see. ah yeah it could be a bit dodgy! god knows if you would ever work here! :P
    well i missed the application to the uk as at the time i wasn't considering it. so if i don't get in this year, i am repeating the hpat (hopefully i can) and also applying for britain and hopefully i get one! :)
    oh i just hope i do well in the hpat. god only knows :P
    how did ya get on in the leaving cert if you dont mind me asking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Ugh my results are going in the wrong direction altogether, so disheartening!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mayo4sam12

What pencils are best for the HPAT? 2B or HB?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

mayo4sam12 wrote: »
    What pencils are best for the HPAT? 2B or HB?

Not that I've done it before but I read somewhere that 2B was recommended. I'd also go for 2B seeing it's a tab bit softer and will easily mark as you would want to do it fairly quick.

• Advertisement

oh i see. ah yeah it could be a bit dodgy! god knows if you would ever work here! :P
    well i missed the application to the uk as at the time i wasn't considering it. so if i don't get in this year, i am repeating the hpat (hopefully i can) and also applying for britain and hopefully i get one! :)
    oh i just hope i do well in the hpat. god only knows :P

550 for me, wish I had a bit more. What 'bout yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Everyone here is doing so much for the HPAT, I feel like a bit of a bum for doing the bare minimum :P I just finished practice paper 1 from ACER, within the HPAT times, and no preparation done at all, because, well, I thought I'd chance it and see how I got on. These were my scores:
    Section 1: 45% (thought I'd do better :/ )
    Section 2: 89%
    Section 3: 46% (I didn't get it finished, I knew it'd be a problem)
    Leaving me with 180 points, if I've calculated that right. Anyone have any advice as to how to improve Section 3, and especially section 1? (I don't hold much hope for the latter)

KristineKJ wrote: »
    oh well done! sure getting any higher is a little pointless in some ways :)
    oh i haven't done mine yet! :) first time round :P

Everyone here is doing so much for the HPAT, I feel like a bit of a bum for doing the bare minimum :P I just finished practice paper 1 from ACER, within the HPAT times, and no preparation done at all, because, well, I thought I'd chance it and see how I got on. These were my scores:
    Leaving me with 180 points, if I've calculated that right. Anyone have any advice as to how to improve Section 3, and especially section 1? (I don't hold much hope for the latter)
    ah well everyone just does what they require. some don't need as much practice :)
    well done thats really good results. :) you must be naturally empathetic with a score like that in sec 2 :P
    just some advice, no one knows how acer calculate your score so be cautious when giving yourself a raw score as you may leave yourself open to disappointment. likr there may be negative marking! :(
    with section 3, just keep practicing. i am terrible but improving slowly but surely. Re section 1 , i don't believe you can improve as each question differs :( just practice speed reading and comprehending skills and know probability and statistics and how to read all sorts of graphs :)
    best of luck with your medicinal endeavours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

ah well everyone just does what they require. some don't need as much practice :)
    well done thats really good results. :) you must be naturally empathetic with a score like that in sec 2 :P
    just some advice, no one knows how acer calculate your score so be cautious when giving yourself a raw score as you may leave yourself open to disappointment. likr there may be negative marking! :(
    with section 3, just keep practicing. i am terrible but improving slowly but surely. Re section 1 , i don't believe you can improve as each question differs :( just practice speed reading and comprehending skills and know probability and statistics and how to read all sorts of graphs :)

Thank you! :D Reading the notes at the start of the paper, it says that marks aren't deducted for wrong answers, and the papers are checked by a machine, so don't leave any stray marks on the page. Just saying, because I'm terrible for it :P And best of luck to you too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Did anyone else find exam 4 on ME particularly difficult? My scores are way down.

You're sure right about the graph reading and understanding statistics. It seems that section 1 isn't really difficult, you just need to make sure you've read and understood the information correctly. All the ones I got wrong i S1 was somehow me "misreading" or misunderstanding the information. It's important to know that while they're not trying to trick you, they are trying to challenge you.

It kinda scared me that S2 in the first test exam from acer was so easy. I had one wrong answer without any other kind of practice. I've heard to be aware of S2 though, as it'll be more difficult in the actual exam.

SO, doing the first test exam these were my precentages:
    S1: 56%
    S2: 97%
    S3: 47%

How do they calculate the points?

You're sure right about the graph reading and understanding statistics. It seems that section 1 isn't really difficult, you just need to make sure you've read and understood the information correctly. All the ones I got wrong i S1 was somehow me "misreading" or misunderstanding the information. It's important to know that while they're not trying to trick you, they are trying to challenge you.

It kinda scared me that S2 in the first test exam from acer was so easy. I scored 99% on the first go and without any other kind of practice. I've heard to be aware of S2 though, as it'll be more difficult in the actual exam.

Excellent S2 result, well done. No one really knows exactly how they calculate the results and anything that you hear will just be speculation. You can be sure though that by getting 97% of the answers right in S2 though you're in for a very high score there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

0mega wrote: »
    Did anyone else find exam 4 on ME particularly difficult? My scores are way down.

Looking back I had a good S1, fairly meh S2 and terrible S3. :) Not to worry as ever, I did one today and my scores were very meh all-around expect in 2. But I don't even think 2 counts because I'm kinda realising how irrelevant a lot of S2 really is...like some questions aren't really interpersonal reasoning or like the ones in the sample papers at all. I mean in an exam I did last week there was an extract from 1984 by George Orwell (if anyone's read it) and it was all a bit ridiculous.

Percentiles are weird today, did a S1 today and got 82% and I was like 'class' cos it's probably the highest percent I've gotten in it but it was 63rd percentile I think. And in Section 3 I was plodding on reaaally well and then realised with ten minutes to go I had like twenty questions to do. So I did really well in the first half and got like 3/20 in the second. GOOD TIMES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

section 3 .just do a few drills .i went from 80s to 98 percentile exam 5 .could be a bit of luck but use the resources

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

It kinda scared me that S2 in the first test exam from acer was so easy. I had one wrong answer without any other kind of practice. I've heard to be aware of S2 though, as it'll be more difficult in the actual exam.

I did the first Acer exam too and got 100% in section 2 but people have said here that the real thing is a lot harder and so is the second one! I don't meant to dishearten you, I thought I was great with that result but I think the real thing will be a lot harder :/

I did the first Acer exam too and got 100% in section 2 but people have said here that the real thing is a lot harder and so is the second one! I don't meant to dishearten you, I thought I was great with that result but I think the real thing will be a lot harder :/

Yeah, that's what I said in my post above the precentages, that I know it'll be harder. Not much preparing you can do for S2 though, so I'll just focus on S1 and S3 and deal with S2 when I get there I suppose :P

Yeah I got 550 as well. As in the four sciences, Bs in Geography, English and Japanese. Didn't do Irish and only did pass Maths.
    0mega wrote: »

I got 89th percentile in S1 but did absolutely crap in the other two sections.

Yeah I got 550 as well. As in the four sciences, Bs in Geography, English and Japanese. Didn't do Irish and only did pass Maths.

I got 89th percentile in S1 but did absolutely crap in the other two sections.
    well done :)

yeah its just hard to comprehend all it's saying :)
    well no one actually knows how it's marked unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

So we'll be getting our HPAT results on Monday 24th of June this year, that gives everyone a week to change around their CAO before the deadline if the results don't go their way!

So we'll be getting our HPAT results on Monday 24th of June this year, that gives everyone a week to change around their CAO before the deadline if the results don't go their way!

Interesting that the mature students are getting there's end of April still, so we'll have an idea of what the percentiles are like. Not that it'll make a difference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Interesting that the mature students are getting there's end of April still, so we'll have an idea of what the percentiles are like. Not that it'll make a difference really.

It will for the repeats. You can check your 2012 score in April and see how it compares with last year percentile wise.

Didn't realise that! Happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

How does everyone generally do in the practice exams? I did number 4 yesterday and got around the 60th percentile for S1 and 3 which is an improvement. S2 tends to fluctuate for me too. Just wondering how everyone else is getting on, hope I can improve further!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement