Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

How does everyone generally do in the practice exams? I did number 4 yesterday and got around the 60th percentile for S1 and 3 which is an improvement. S2 tends to fluctuate for me too. Just wondering how everyone else is getting on, hope I can improve further!

I did 4 yesterday too: 80s in S1, 50s in S2 and 60s in S3. Quite a bit down so I was disappointed, but that seems to be the trend for everyone when I asked so that's okay. I was :( when I got my S2 result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

0mega wrote: »

I did 4 yesterday too: 80s in S1, 50s in S2 and 60s in S3. Quite a bit down so I was disappointed, but that seems to be the trend for everyone when I asked so that's okay. I was :( when I got my S2 result.
    In my first practice I got in the 90s for S2 but that has gone down since.. This whole leaving cert thing appears to be making me less empathetic :P hope I can bring all scores up in the next few weeks. My percentage correct is increasing so that's a good sign but the whole thing depends on my mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

exam 5 percentiles anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

amicus wrote: »
    exam 5 percentiles anyone?

S1 98, S2 40, S3 41. My worst S2 performance, that was the oddest one for me. And it's probably bad that I'm delighted with 41st in S3. :pac:

Slow Show wrote: »
    S1 98, S2 40, S3 41. My worst S2 performance, that was the oddest one for me. And it's probably bad that I'm delighted with 41st in S3. :pac:

Wow at the S1, I'm not looking forward to doing that S2 exam now though after seeing that you especially has gotten that :pac:

• Advertisement

I am speechless.. :O that S1 score is amazing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

Really hate section 1... I just can't seem to do it at all. I don't know if it's timing issues or that I just can't do the questions.

ye section 2 was messed up.i got 98 in section 3 .i thought it was an easier one than some other ones.section 1 i got 80 and section 2 60

Ah guys it was my best S1 exam but at the same time, I'm only averaging 70s/80s otherwise, I reckon it was a bit of a fluke tbh, a few lucky guesses helped me out I'm sure!

dmca93 wrote: »
    Really hate section 1... I just can't seem to do it at all. I don't know if it's timing issues or that I just can't do the questions.
    Its definitely the hardest section.what percentiles are you getting in it?

• Advertisement

Ah guys it was my best S1 exam but at the same time, I'm only averaging 70s/80s otherwise, I reckon it was a bit of a fluke tbh, a few lucky guesses helped me out I'm sure!
    I could say the same with section 3.like id average 80s .i reckon a bit of a fluke too. Those scores are excellent for section 1 anyway.how do u find timing for that section?do u skip any questions or antin

I wonder if someone in this thread could get 100th percentile in the real thing. It will likely be the repeats who get that though, but we can dream. :pac:

I wonder if someone in this thread could get 100th percentile in the real thing. It will likely be the repeats who get that though, but we can dream. :pac:
    100th percentile is easier to get in hpat than online anyway ha..someone has to get it .im quite jealous of repeats.how many places will they take like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I have talked to someone who gets 100th percentile in s2 fairly constantly, while his other two scores are fairly average though!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

Did anyone else find exam 4 on ME particularly difficult? My scores are way down.

Yeah, mine went way down in each section which is strange but I thought that I answered the questions well so i'm not going to concentrate on it too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

100th percentile is easier to get in hpat than online anyway ha..someone has to get it .im quite jealous of repeats.how many places will they take like?

The vast majority of repeats that are repeating hpat with out the lc including myself would probablyy have gotten in without the hpat. Its a tough system that isnt likely to change anytime soon . No one can prove that those who excel at the hpat become better doctors than those who dont. And as for the amount of places they are equally entitled to them as the people who are sitting the hpat the first time round.

I could say the same with section 3.like id average 80s .i reckon a bit of a fluke too. Those scores are excellent for section 1 anyway.how do u find timing for that section?do u skip any questions or antin

My timing has gotten quite good, I tend to have a few minutes to spare at the end. I try not to skip but sometimes I spend too long at a question and I have to take an educated guess and move on, in the hope of coming back to it.

I don't mind what percentile I get as long as it's enough, I'm getting a bit unsettled about it though what with the likelihood of S2 being very difficult and the fact that I'm just not very good at Section 3. And the possibility of letting my nerves get the better of me when it comes to Section 1. >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tanga1

To be honest, they don't deserve it as much as those doing the LC this year. We are under a lot more pressure than the ones just taking a year off to do the HPAT. It's proof enough that 80% of people repeating HPAT get into medicine.

But that is just an opinion and I would probably repeat it anyway. I wouldn't have to if they made the system fair.

The vast majority of repeats that are repeating hpat with out the lc including myself would probablyy have gotten in without the hpat. Its a tough system that isnt likely to change anytime soon . No one can prove that those who excel at the hpat become better doctors than those who dont. And as for the amount of places they are equally entitled to them as the people who are sitting the hpat the first time round.
    ye but an extra year prep work puts all of you at an advantage.im not giving out just more than likely more repeats will take up places than 1st timers

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Tanga1 wrote: »
    To be honest, they don't deserve it as much as those doing the LC this year. We are under a lot more pressure than the ones just taking a year off to do the HPAT. It's proof enough that 80% of people repeati ng HPAT get into medicine.

But that is just an opinion and I would probably repeat it anyway. I wouldn't have to if they made the system fair.
    I agree that the system is unfair but doesnt it show dedication by taking a year out ? Where did this statistic come from if u dont mind me asking ?

• Advertisement

To be honest, they don't deserve it as much as those doing the LC this year. We are under a lot more pressure than the ones just taking a year off to do the HPAT. It's proof enough that 80% of people repeating HPAT get into medicine.

80%? Wat? How many repeats we talkin actually

I agree that the system is unfair but doesnt it show dedication by taking a year out ? Where did this statistic come from if u dont mind me asking ?
    It wouldnt b a problem if they took so many of the very few places for such a high demand

It wouldnt b a problem if they took so many of the very few places for such a high demand
    If the didnt*

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tanga1

Sorry misinterpreted the information. It was actually 85% of people who improved their score by repeating.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/hpat-test-review-605108-Sep2012/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

To be honest, they don't deserve it as much as those doing the LC this year.

Haha so if you don't get into med this year are you gonna not repeat the hpat next year because people who are a year younger than you deserve medicine more? And what about the people are repeating both the LC and the hpat? I guess they deserve medicine more because they didn't study hard enough for the LC the first time.

Fuckin LOL :pac:

I prefer the hpat system like otherwise you would want to be getting 610..?

I don't see a problem with people repeating for medicine, I'll probably be repeating myself. It just shows that those who repeat are dedicated and really want it.

I don't think we should be begrudging the repeats really, as we could end up in that situation just as easily ourselves :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Speaking as someone who's doing it for the first time I think anyone who gets medicine is deserving of it repeating or not!

• Advertisement

I think it can feel a little bit frustrating at times when thinking about how the odds appear to be stacked against first time LC/HPATers but like blame the system, not the repeats. ACER said initially you couldn't prepare for the HPAT/do better in it if you did it again which turned out to be hilariously untrue. I know I for one would be pretty annoyed if they changed the continuity of results so that one has to repeat their HPAT/LC in a year, and if the HPAT goes badly this year I'll probably give it another go next year.

I dunno really about the worth of the HPAT. People say it's better than LC points alone and maybe it is, but at the same time, I'd be sceptical of whether doing well in the HPAT makes you any better than someone who does get very high points in the LC. I guess for Section 2 when it comes to empathy, but like not everyone who does medicine is even going to be interacting with people. And I suppose it's good to have good logical skills and so Section 1 has an aim in testing that but at the same time, wouldn't someone doing well enough in sciences/maths have that to a degree anyway? And eh yeah I don't see the relevance of S3 anywhere but I am also tremendously biased. :) Also like maybe I'm alone here but I genuinely don't know many socially clueless people that are very intelligent and capable of making the former points cut-off, I think people flaunt that out about a bit too much.

Looking over that incredible waste of time of a paragraph, OK the HPAT for the most part probably is better off than LC alone but still like...it's certainly debatable. It's far from a perfect system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement